RB

Default pontoon boat questions

Someone donated an old pontoon boat to the youth group in our church. It
needs a good cleanup, but actually isn't in bad shape.

I haven't messed around with pontoon boats, so need to ask a few questions.

Our pontoons have some drilled holes in the tops, along the centerline
(maybe 3 or 4 holes). I have no idea why they're there.

1. Are the pontoons normally sealed capsule type things?

2. Are pontoons normally vented for air expansion/contraction?

3. Can I simply put patches over all the holes, or do I need to rig a vent
pipe on each pontoon?

4. The pontoons have low point drains on the bottoms. I assume this is to
get rid of water that gets in. So far, I've left the drains open with the
boat on the trailer. Any reason not to leave 'em open?

D-unit

"RB" wrote in message
Someone donated an old pontoon boat to the youth group in our church. It
needs a good cleanup, but actually isn't in bad shape.

I haven't messed around with pontoon boats, so need to ask a few

questions.

Our pontoons have some drilled holes in the tops, along the centerline
(maybe 3 or 4 holes). I have no idea why they're there.

1. Are the pontoons normally sealed capsule type things?

My Bennington "toons" have sealed sections of approx 3'

2. Are pontoons normally vented for air expansion/contraction?

I would doubt it.

3. Can I simply put patches over all the holes, or do I need to rig a

vent
pipe on each pontoon?

Whats that?

4. The pontoons have low point drains on the bottoms. I assume this is

get rid of water that gets in. So far, I've left the drains open with the
boat on the trailer. Any reason not to leave 'em open?

As long as you don't forget to replace the plugs before launch.

db

RB wrote:

Our pontoons have some drilled holes in the tops, along the centerline
(maybe 3 or 4 holes). I have no idea why they're there.

1. Are the pontoons normally sealed capsule type things?

2. Are pontoons normally vented for air expansion/contraction?

3. Can I simply put patches over all the holes, or do I need to rig a vent
pipe on each pontoon?

I've noticed that as well. the pontoons I've looked at all ahve a small
spring loaded, vent like device on the top of the tubes. I would
imagine that is for expansion/contraction, in temperature change due to
weather or water temp. probably to help reduce stress cracks from
forming.