Doug Kanter

Default Anybody see the USA Today fuel price predictions?

"DSK" wrote in message
news
"Fred Dehl" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:
Which sentence was I unable to write, Mr Delusional?

Don't Fred's posts make you laugh? He's really funny.

I suspect he has a very unhappy life, but that's his tough luck. He's
still funny.

DSK

If he's like this when he's talking to someone face to face, it's amazing
he's lived this long. Most people I know would've put him in a wheelchair
for life by this point.

DSK

That's discouraging news. Even though the price of fuel is a relatively
minor consideration for many boaters- (as in if you're making $24,000 a
year in boat payments does it really matter if your summer fuel bill
goes from $2500 up to $3500?)- these unusually high fuel prices tend to
make people think twice or thrice about using their boats.

I hope that it makes more of the less curteous go-fast &
show-off boaters use their boats less.

NOYB wrote:
I put on 200 hours/year. If half of that is cruising, then my burn rate is
23 gph. The other half is trolling/slow speed, burning 6 gph.

That's 2900 gallons/year.

2900 gallons*$3/gallon=$8700/year

2900 gallons*$5/gallon=$14,500/year

That's a wee-bit more than your example, eh Chuck?

Anybody want to buy a Grady White 30' Marlin? :-(

You might consider repowering for better efficiency, but
then you'd have to use the boat more to justify the expense
of repower. Speed costs. A lot!

For slow boats, fuel cost is negligible, but you don't cover
as much ground. Our cost to cruise might go up from
$0.50/mile to $.065/mile (in the absence of affecting wind &
current of course). Since we're planning a Great Loop which
is approx 6,000 miles, that will still be a big expense
item. Still way less than fishing offshore from a fast 30
foot sportfisher though.

Fair Skies
Doug King

RCE

"Jeff Rigby" wrote in message

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 06:37:22 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 12 Apr 2006 21:59:25 -0700, "
wrote:

Driving home this evening, I listened to a local talk radio station
discussing the probable fuel prices during the next few months. They
kept referring to an article in USA Today that projected $4/gallon gas
prices (would probably run $5 at a fuel dock).

Anybody actually see this story and know the details?

I can't find it online- does anybody have a website address to check?

Self-fulfilling prophecy. This is a market driven by speculation and
insider information.

I saw the article yesterday and just put it away. Watching CNBC
yesterday, you had prices going from $2.62 to $6 a gallon.

My guess is it will hit a high around $2,90 and settle back once the
refineries come back on-line.

Hugo Chavez says $50 a barrel for oil is sufficient.

Unfortunately, Hugo Chaves doesn't control the price of oil. I know
he likes to think he does, but he doesn't.

At what price does harvesting oil shale and oil sand become economical.
That is the price OPEC will not want oil to reach.

You have a good point. I recently saw a documentary on shale oil and if I
recall correctly, the price is right around 50 dollars per barrel to justify
the cost. Developers must be waiting for a long term stabilization of oil
prices before having at it.

RCE

NOYB

NOYB wrote:
I put on 200 hours/year. If half of that is cruising, then my burn rate
is 23 gph. The other half is trolling/slow speed, burning 6 gph.

That's 2900 gallons/year.

2900 gallons*$3/gallon=$8700/year

2900 gallons*$5/gallon=$14,500/year

That's a wee-bit more than your example, eh Chuck?

Anybody want to buy a Grady White 30' Marlin? :-(

You might consider repowering for better efficiency, but then you'd have
to use the boat more to justify the expense of repower. Speed costs. A
lot!

A repower to four-strokes would drop the fuel burn to about 18.5 gph at
cruise, and 3 gph out troll/idle.

That means 2150 gallons/year...or 750 gallons/year savings.

At $3/gallon, it's a $2250 savings

At $5/gallon, it's a $3750 savings.

(I'd save a little in oil burn too)

But it would take anywhere from 8.5 to 14 years before I saved enough to pay
for the $32,000 worth of new engines that I'd need to buy.

For slow boats, fuel cost is negligible, but you don't cover as much
ground. Our cost to cruise might go up from $0.50/mile to $.065/mile (in
the absence of affecting wind & current of course). Since we're planning a
Great Loop which is approx 6,000 miles, that will still be a big expense
item. Still way less than fishing offshore from a fast 30 foot sportfisher
though.

My cost/mile runs about $2.75/mile. But I have more money than time at this
point in my life. When I retire, the opposite will be true...and I'll get a
diesel-powered displacement or semi-displacement hull.

RCE

"DSK" wrote in message
news
"Fred Dehl" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:
Which sentence was I unable to write, Mr Delusional?

Don't Fred's posts make you laugh? He's really funny.

I suspect he has a very unhappy life, but that's his tough luck. He's
still funny.

DSK

He's not funny. As a supposed representative of the human race, he's
alarming.

RCE

RCE

"Fred Dehl" wrote in message

Fred, I have no idea how old you are but you present as a 17 year old about
to drop out of high school.

Am I close?

If so, it makes me feel a bit better because there's hope for you to mature.
If I am wrong, then there's no hope at all and you will be the first that I
will use the killfile for.

RCE

Don White

Harry Krause wrote:
Fred Dehl wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

But it's the Democrats and their envirolunatics who are responsible
for the increased prices during summer.

Rest assured that if the oil companies were bothered by the seasonal
reformulation arrangements, they would've purchased the appropriate
federal officials and arranged for the rules to be changed.

More flatulence from the ****scab who can't write one sentence.

So, you're back from seeing mom in Thailand, eh?

Ah ha! Earlier this week after noticing the excess use of commas and
the potty mouth plus the term 'ya', I was wondering if this was our
former nemesis, Tuuk... aka 'Bangkok Bob'.
He's a one & only...... mold trashed, burned and buried after product
flaws realized.
Don White

NOYB wrote:

He'll be a cold dude soon. Ice cold.

You and your leaders are worse than the Sopranos.
*** go to left column.. more than half way down & hit on 'MacKinnon's

cartoons'
http://www.herald.ns.ca/
DSK

RCE wrote:
He's not funny. As a supposed representative of the human race, he's
alarming.

If Fred agreed with any of my expressed opinions, and still
acted the way he does, I'd find him alarming too. But if he
did think more along the lines I do, he couldn't possibly
act the way he does. So I think he's funny.

But then I always have had a cruel sense of humor. Fred is
like a spastic kitten trying to unravel the strands of
reason from the ball of yarn of life, I laugh when he keeps
konking his head and getting mad at the yarn.

FWIW I agree he's a sorry excuse for a representative of the
human race. If 3,000 years of civilization have brought us
to guys like Fred D, then we might as well have stayed in caves.

Regards
Doug King

Don White

DSK wrote:
RCE wrote:

He's not funny. As a supposed representative of the human race, he's
alarming.

If Fred agreed with any of my expressed opinions, and still acted the
way he does, I'd find him alarming too. But if he did think more along
the lines I do, he couldn't possibly act the way he does. So I think
he's funny.

But then I always have had a cruel sense of humor. Fred is like a
spastic kitten trying to unravel the strands of reason from the ball of
yarn of life, I laugh when he keeps konking his head and getting mad at
the yarn.

FWIW I agree he's a sorry excuse for a representative of the human race.
If 3,000 years of civilization have brought us to guys like Fred D, then
we might as well have stayed in caves.

Regards
Doug King

If you guys keep this up, & Fred is who we think he might be.... expect
another round of threats to visit your houses, kick you in the
nuts...etc etc. I'm gonna rush down to my closest sporting goods store
and buy a jock strap/cup combo.