Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Michael Daly

Default Ultimate Roof Rack?

I've been complaining to anyone who'd listen about the crummy rack
mounting options on most cars and I freely opined about having cars
built with rack attachment points built-in. In particular, I suggested
a threaded recess on the roof in the pseudo-raingutter that is built
into many modern cars.

Well, I was walking through town the other day and saw exactly that!
A fairly new BMW sedan was equipped with a neat roof rack that looked
like it attached in a manner similar to the VW cars - Golf in particular.
The Golf uses an "almost great" system where a short gutter and a couple
of bolthead-like bits are hidden under the door seal. The only problem
with that, according to a friend who has a Golf, is that with the rack
prying the seal up a teensy bit, a few drops of water get in when it
rains heavily. Anyway, I wandered over to the BMW to see what it looked
like up close and behold:

There is are four little doors in the rain recess (two each side, one
front, one rear). Each opens to show a threaded, sealed hole in the
roof frame. The tower of the rack sits on the roof over this point and
a bolt drops down into the threaded hole and tightens up to hold the tower
in place. Neat, tight, no openings into the passenger compartment, solid
and easy to attach/remove. Kudoes to BMW, a car company I usually don't
have much respect for.

Now that someone has done it, perhaps other car manufacturers can provide
a similar system and we can use _one_ roof rack system with lots of
vehicles without major compatibility problems.

Mike

quick car rack question...... tor General 5 October 8th 08 10:58 PM
Another kayak roof rack question [email protected] General 15 March 26th 06 04:27 PM
kayak rack twilightrob General 7 March 15th 06 09:29 PM
1993 Previa and Kayaks bits General 4 October 27th 05 06:17 AM
Looking for rack storage around NYC ktarrach General 13 October 12th 05 04:03 PM