Don White

Default Inflatable "boats" at public beaches ( Long Island, NY specifically)

And don't forget to wear your PFD.
They may not like the idea of swimming miles to rescue you.

Gfretwell wrote in message
A 5-year old girl is allowed to swim out as far as she
can in water way over her head with nobody else around her and that's ok

but
a 28 year old man can't peacefully lie on a raft and get a tan?

I suspect it has to do with visibility. If the water was littered with

rafts
the lifeguard might have problems seeing that little girl if she was

having
problems. The answer is simple, go somewhere without a lifeguard. I bet

this is
a fairly standard rule at crowded beaches.

bobby

Kent wrote:

I recently bought a "2-person" inflatable "boat". This thing is not much
more than your run-of the-mill 1-person swimming pool raft. I live on the
north shore of Long Island, NY and was kicked off of one public beach when I
was told by a lifeguard that "inflatables" aren't allowed, and when I
inquired at 3 other beaches in the area I was told the same thing. Am I
crazy or something? A 5-year old girl is allowed to swim out as far as she
can in water way over her head with nobody else around her and that's ok but
a 28 year old man can't peacefully lie on a raft and get a tan? Has
anyone else run into problems with these "boats" at beaches? And if
anyone happens to read this who's from LI, please let me know if there are
any places you know of where a person can use one of these "boats" in some
kind of water outside of a swimming pool.
Thanks
-Kent

As someone said, pick a spot without a lifegaurd and they won't bother you. As
to why they aren't allowed, along with the visibility issue mentioned, another
possibility is that it is probably not umcommon for folks to lay back, close
their eyes and maybe even fall asleep for a bit and when they wake up they are
much farther out than the lifegaurd wants to go get them it they get into
trouble.

Keith

Ah yes... more government regulations to "help" us.

--

Keith
__
"Gfretwell" wrote in message
A 5-year old girl is allowed to swim out as far as she
can in water way over her head with nobody else around her and that's ok

but
a 28 year old man can't peacefully lie on a raft and get a tan?

I suspect it has to do with visibility. If the water was littered with

rafts
the lifeguard might have problems seeing that little girl if she was

having
problems. The answer is simple, go somewhere without a lifeguard. I bet

this is
a fairly standard rule at crowded beaches.

Don White

Another consideration mightbe...which way is the wind blowing and how
strong.
A stiff offshore breeze might push you out quickly while a gentle onshore
wind will keep you safe a baby.

Gfretwell wrote in message
A 5-year old girl is allowed to swim out as far as she
can in water way over her head with nobody else around her and that's

ok
but
a 28 year old man can't peacefully lie on a raft and get a tan?

I suspect it has to do with visibility. If the water was littered with

rafts
the lifeguard might have problems seeing that little girl if she was

having
problems. The answer is simple, go somewhere without a lifeguard. I bet

this is
a fairly standard rule at crowded beaches.

Kent

Thanks to all for the responses. I guess it all really does make sense and
I can see now why these boats aren't favorably accepted in lifeguarded
areas. I just never realized that I could actually take it out into public
waters. But after hearing some of your responses and also checking with the
coast guard's web site, it looks like I should have no problems with an
unpowered boat under 12' as long as I have oars, a PFD, a whistle or horn,
and stay out of the way of other traffic. Do I have that right? If so
I'll give it a shot.
Thanks again.
-Kent

"John K Kudera" wrote in message
The answer is simple, take your PFD, Paddle, launch from a public dock

into
the Bay, paddle a distance out of boat traffic, do your thing there!

not-it.org

just get a one-pound collapsable anchor and 100 feet of nylon
clothesline.... and a mesh bag for your 6-pack.