Don White

Default Inflatable "boats" at public beaches ( Long Island, NY specifically)

And don't forget to wear your PFD.
They may not like the idea of swimming miles to rescue you.

Gfretwell wrote in message
A 5-year old girl is allowed to swim out as far as she
can in water way over her head with nobody else around her and that's ok

but
a 28 year old man can't peacefully lie on a raft and get a tan?

I suspect it has to do with visibility. If the water was littered with

rafts
the lifeguard might have problems seeing that little girl if she was

having
problems. The answer is simple, go somewhere without a lifeguard. I bet

this is
a fairly standard rule at crowded beaches.