frank news

Default OT OT OT OT OT OT OT

Gads I am sick of all the off topic posts. Are we gonna discuss boats or
what!

Capt. Frank

Bill Cole

Capt,
If I was a betting man my guess would be ....... NO. This OT signal to
noise ratio has been high for years and shows no sign of stopping.

While it would be nice for rec.boats to be about recreational boating, if
you really want a forum devoted to rec.boats it is best if you go to a
moderated NG. This NG is about general bull****, some good info, some bad
info, but the majority of posts will be off topic.

"frank news" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Gads I am sick of all the off topic posts. Are we gonna discuss boats or
what!

Capt. Frank

JohnH

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:26:41 GMT, "Bill Cole" wrote:

Capt,
If I was a betting man my guess would be ....... NO. This OT signal to
noise ratio has been high for years and shows no sign of stopping.

While it would be nice for rec.boats to be about recreational boating, if
you really want a forum devoted to rec.boats it is best if you go to a
moderated NG. This NG is about general bull****, some good info, some bad
info, but the majority of posts will be off topic.

"frank news" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Gads I am sick of all the off topic posts. Are we gonna discuss boats or
what!

Capt. Frank

FWIW, I have posted the following more than once and received not one reply. I
suppose all the smart guys are caught up in politics.
__________
My 5.7L Mercruiser sterndrive has seen seven seasons and 350 hours, all in the
Chesapeake Bay. About 3 years ago I removed the exhaust manifolds and risers,
had them burned and magna-fluxed (no problems) and returned them to service. I'm
thinking that I may need to be pre-emptive here. The end of this season may be a
good time to replace them.

Questions. Are any brands better than others in terms of holding up to salt
water? Some are advertized as 'ceramic lined'. Is this a big advantage? Are
stainless steel manifolds and risers worth the increased cost? Where would be a
good place to order parts from?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I remain, respectfully,

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
HeatMan

"frank news" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Gads I am sick of all the off topic posts. Are we gonna discuss boats or
what!

Capt. Frank

Sorry, but I gotta chime in on this one.

There are a lot of armchair political analysts out there that have to chime
in on everything that doesn't suit their fancy.

I skip over 99% of them. I usually only read the opening one and skip the
rest. If these people can do such a better job, let them run for office.

GAZ

Just killfile all the idiots. When you look at the quality of what little
they post on boating verses all the political crap they post it's a no
brainer.
Wish Peggy could come up with an internet crapper to flush these people
for good.
"HeatMan" wrote in message

"frank news" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Gads I am sick of all the off topic posts. Are we gonna discuss boats or
what!

Capt. Frank

Sorry, but I gotta chime in on this one.

There are a lot of armchair political analysts out there that have to

chime
in on everything that doesn't suit their fancy.

I skip over 99% of them. I usually only read the opening one and skip the
rest. If these people can do such a better job, let them run for office.

K. Smith

JohnH wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:26:41 GMT, "Bill Cole" wrote:

Capt,
If I was a betting man my guess would be ....... NO. This OT signal to
noise ratio has been high for years and shows no sign of stopping.

While it would be nice for rec.boats to be about recreational boating, if
you really want a forum devoted to rec.boats it is best if you go to a
moderated NG. This NG is about general bull****, some good info, some bad
info, but the majority of posts will be off topic.

"frank news" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Gads I am sick of all the off topic posts. Are we gonna discuss boats or
what!

Capt. Frank

FWIW, I have posted the following more than once and received not one reply. I
suppose all the smart guys are caught up in politics.
__________
My 5.7L Mercruiser sterndrive has seen seven seasons and 350 hours, all in the
Chesapeake Bay. About 3 years ago I removed the exhaust manifolds and risers,
had them burned and magna-fluxed (no problems) and returned them to service. I'm
thinking that I may need to be pre-emptive here. The end of this season may be a
good time to replace them.

Questions. Are any brands better than others in terms of holding up to salt
water? Some are advertized as 'ceramic lined'.

Like the idea of pre-emptive & notwithstanding your boats are out of the water
lots, not a bad idea.

Clearly here we're not up on all your aftermarket stuff, so ask around but be
aware sometimes what looks like a good idea isn't. The ceramic coated??? don't know
but suspect they come with copious claims about this & that attached, along with a
price to match??? Assuming they look better longer, just aesthetics?? & "maybe"
their claims about smoother exhaust flow are true when compared with severely
oxidised (rusty) non coated exhaust routes, so what??? Most manifolds corrode
through from the water jacketing & not often from simple oxidisation but
electrolysis, hot salt water is like acid. "If" they increase the life you need to
balance this in dollars per year or per hour.

Is this a big advantage? Are
stainless steel manifolds and risers worth the increased cost?

Stainless steel can also be a problem & has a risk factor. Some die very early
from electrolysis, much quicker than cast iron. It should depend on the nickel
content in the stainless, designed flows, casting procedures etc etc etc but alas
stainless exhaust manifolds don't have a good reputation here; at any price.

The block & heads are cast iron & certainly do suffer corrosion etc but the
manifolds & rises are subject to higher temps.

Where would be a
good place to order parts from?

NA

Thanks for any help you can provide. I remain, respectfully,

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

Hmmm I'm glad you're remaining with us respectfully or any other way:-) & I
remain respectfully your faithful servant

Keith

You mean OT like yours?

--

Keith
__
"frank news" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Gads I am sick of all the off topic posts. Are we gonna discuss boats or
what!

Capt. Frank

Harry Krause

JohnH wrote:

[...]

You are close to the end of the usual life of manifolds used in salt
water. BOAT/US sells manifolds. Unless you are planning to keep the boat
another seven seasons, why worry about anything other than standard
pieces and parts?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

JohnH

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:22:00 +1000, "K. Smith" wrote:

JohnH wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:26:41 GMT, "Bill Cole" wrote:

Capt,
If I was a betting man my guess would be ....... NO. This OT signal to
noise ratio has been high for years and shows no sign of stopping.

While it would be nice for rec.boats to be about recreational boating, if
you really want a forum devoted to rec.boats it is best if you go to a
moderated NG. This NG is about general bull****, some good info, some bad
info, but the majority of posts will be off topic.

"frank news" wrote in message
thlink.net...
[...]

Thanks Karen, appreciate the input. I think I will do as most have suggested,
stick with the stock stuff from Mercruiser. The manifolds and risers on the
engine have worked well for seven seasons, which is not so bad. Maybe they would
last another seven seasons, I don't know.

Thanks againg,