Wayne.B

Default World-record bass - maybe - pulled from Lake Dixon

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...-bn20bass.html
basskisser

Wayne.B wrote:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...-bn20bass.html

Got the picture emailed to me earlier today, that thing's a hog!

basskisser

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:19:41 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...-bn20bass.html

They've been saying for years that the world's record largemouth was
going to come out of that lake. Looks like it will eventually.

They've stocked it and other CA lakes with Florida largemouths.

NOYB

oups.com...

wrote:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...-bn20bass.html

They've been saying for years that the world's record largemouth was
going to come out of that lake. Looks like it will eventually.

They've stocked it and other CA lakes with Florida largemouths.

I'm guessing that Florida doesn't have the largest largemouths because of
the high likelihood that they're eaten by gators before they can get that
big.

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:57:43 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

roups.com...

wrote:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...-bn20bass.html

They've been saying for years that the world's record largemouth was
going to come out of that lake. Looks like it will eventually.

They've stocked it and other CA lakes with Florida largemouths.

I'm guessing that Florida doesn't have the largest largemouths because of
the high likelihood that they're eaten by gators before they can get that
big.

"Florida" bass aren't really "Florida" bass anymore anyway.

Largemouth has become so hybridized by illegal stockings that they are
fairly homogenous across the US.

What makes the CA largemouths at Dixon Lake so large is they are
hybrids with Mexican largemouths.

Or so I'be been told.

Several years ago there was an extensive program to stock CA lakes with
FLORIDA bass. I'd seriously doubt that biologists would take the
chances of introducing strains from Mexico.

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/ybigbass.html

This website also has information on Florida bass in CA, and also does
a good job of explaining the Florida strains of black bass.:
http://myfwc.com/fishing/updates/FBCC2003.html

And and excerpt:
No article about bass stocking would be complete without mentioning the
success of Florida strain bass introductions west of the Mississippi
river, outside the natural range of the Florida bass. California,
Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and other states have all
experienced dramatic increases in the size of bass available to anglers
after Florida bass were stocked. Texas' largemouth state record stood
at just over 13 pounds for nearly fifty years, yet in 1980, just eight
years after Texas Parks and Wildlife Department began stocking Florida
bass in the state, the record was broken by a 14 pound Florida. From
that point on the record climbed steadily until the 18 pound mark was
topped in 1992 with a Florida strain bass from Lake Fork. Other states
saw similar results, although not all were as dramatic as the results
in Texas. Obviously, Florida bass grow larger than Northern bass in
some situations, and Florida bass stockings have resulted in anglers
having a much better chance of catching a trophy size largemouth. They
have also generated a lot of excitement for anglers and brought
increased business from fishermen to lakes in each state.

basskisser

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Interesting - thanks.

I'd like to know if there really are strains of Mexican bass in CA
lakes. If you find any info, pass it along, please. I checked for a few
minutes on the web, and haven't found anything decisive.

basskisser

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 22 Mar 2006 04:46:40 -0800, "basskisser"
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Interesting - thanks.

I'd like to know if there really are strains of Mexican bass in CA
lakes. If you find any info, pass it along, please. I checked for a few
minutes on the web, and haven't found anything decisive.

I have been half-assed following this whole hybridization issue for a
couple of years. Our northern largemouth, as a species, are being
overtaken by a hybrid, mainly Florida bass cross, and as such, there
really isn't a such a thing as a northern largemouth anymore.

The Mexican bass are also a Florida cross, but for some reason, they
have a big genetic advantage over other species - like I said, I'm not
totally conversant on the issue.

In any case, the largest I've ever caught up here is 9 lbs at Webster
Lake, then second largest was 7.9 in Manchaug Pond up in Sutton MA.

Biggest largemouth I caught was on a private farm pond close to where I
lived in FL, it was 9 pound, 10 ounces after I put it in a five gallon
bucket, took it to the tackle shop 4 miles away. They claim they lose
weight quickly under stress, so who knows. In the Hillsborough River,
near Tampa is an area called seven springs swamp where I was in a
canoe, and hooked a bass that came out of the water, then broke me off.
When that thing came out of the water, I damned near soiled
myself......would have loved to know how big she was! Here on Lake
Lanier, blue back herring has been "introduced" and the spotted bass
are getting to be nothing short of huge! All the pros are yacking about
coming to Lanier for the spotted bass fishing. A spotted bass at 4 or 5
pounds or so will fight like 15 pounds of largemouth!!

Calif Bill

wrote:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...-bn20bass.html

They've been saying for years that the world's record largemouth was
going to come out of that lake. Looks like it will eventually.

They feed on a high calorie diet of stocker trout.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:33:11 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

They feed on a high calorie diet of stocker trout.

That fish looked to me like it was on steroids. :-)