basskisser

Default World-record bass - maybe - pulled from Lake Dixon

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 22 Mar 2006 04:46:40 -0800, "basskisser"
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Interesting - thanks.

I'd like to know if there really are strains of Mexican bass in CA
lakes. If you find any info, pass it along, please. I checked for a few
minutes on the web, and haven't found anything decisive.

I have been half-assed following this whole hybridization issue for a
couple of years. Our northern largemouth, as a species, are being
overtaken by a hybrid, mainly Florida bass cross, and as such, there
really isn't a such a thing as a northern largemouth anymore.

The Mexican bass are also a Florida cross, but for some reason, they
have a big genetic advantage over other species - like I said, I'm not
totally conversant on the issue.

In any case, the largest I've ever caught up here is 9 lbs at Webster
Lake, then second largest was 7.9 in Manchaug Pond up in Sutton MA.

Biggest largemouth I caught was on a private farm pond close to where I
lived in FL, it was 9 pound, 10 ounces after I put it in a five gallon
bucket, took it to the tackle shop 4 miles away. They claim they lose
weight quickly under stress, so who knows. In the Hillsborough River,
near Tampa is an area called seven springs swamp where I was in a
canoe, and hooked a bass that came out of the water, then broke me off.
When that thing came out of the water, I damned near soiled
myself......would have loved to know how big she was! Here on Lake
Lanier, blue back herring has been "introduced" and the spotted bass
are getting to be nothing short of huge! All the pros are yacking about
coming to Lanier for the spotted bass fishing. A spotted bass at 4 or 5
pounds or so will fight like 15 pounds of largemouth!!