Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Regal 3860 (and fair warning)

(Fair warning: The following text contains a description of a product
available for sale as well as the name of a firm that represents the
product in a specific region. If this type of content offends your
sensibilities, please close the thread at this point- and thanks very
much.)

Regal 3860
(Revolutionary Design meets Traditional Standards)

Based upon our experience aboard the new Regal 3860 on Tacoma's
Commencement Bay, we believe that we will be seeing a lot more Regals
on local waters. Lack of a dynamic retail dealership for Regal in this
region has been resolved by awarding the Regal franchise to PowerBoats
NW, and once the general public is exposed to the product in large
numbers the brand should become a more frequent final contender when
buyers compare new boats.

About Regal:

Regal was founded in 1969, by Paul and Carol Kuck. In addition to the
manufacture of fine quality boats, Regal is known throughout the
industry by its willingness to openly embrace and express
Judeo-Christian values and philosophies. Indeed, Paul Kuck left a
career in the steel construction business and began building boats
after his former employer instructed him to settle an issue in a way
that "conflicted with his values." With the second generation of
Kuck's at the helm, Regal remains a private, family-owned boat
builder but is no small player on the manufacturing scene. Plants in
Orlando, Florida and Valdosta, Georgia employ approximately 850 people,
and a boat building trade publication ranks Regal among the top 20
best-selling brand names, (in a field where many dozens of brands are
offered). The company's commitment to high integrity operations is
expressed in a very low employee turnover rate as well as one of the
industry's most comprehensive warranties. Regal's corporate
"Mission Statement" reads, "With God's help and a steadfast
commitment to integrity, we will develop a team of exceptional people
and relationships to provide exceptional customer satisfaction." One
need not be the least bit religious to recognize some potential
benefits in dealing with a firm that expresses a commitment to
integrity and realizes that it is ultimately people and relationships
that can make or break customer satisfaction.

Something obviously inspires the management and staff at Regal. The
2006 model that Jim Wood and I tested along with Jerry Bauer of
PowerBoats NW appeared to be built to an exacting standard. Some
research revealed that the fit and finish of a Regal is more than
merely gelcoat deep- the firm is one of only a small minority of boat
builders recognized compliant with demanding ISO 9001.2000
international manufacturing standards.

Our Test Boat's Advanced Drive System:

The 3860 is Regal's second largest express cruiser. (The 4460 Express
could be considered the flagship of the Regal fleet). Each Regal hull
is uniquely designed for a specific model; there are no instances of
"stretching" a 34-foot hull to create a 38-foot boat. Each Regal
model has a specific deadrise, as well as an individual underwater
architecture of chines and strakes to optimize seakeeping and
performance. Most of the larger Regal boats have "prop tunnels" to
allow a shallower draft and a more horizontal (more efficient)
orientation of the propeller shafts, but not the 3860. The 3860 has
been specifically designed to use the Volvo IPS (Inboard Performance
System) drives.

Volvo intends to redefine pleasure boat propulsion with IPS. The system
is only currently available for dual engine planing or
semi-displacement hulls. With an IPS system, specially selected
engines, mounts, controls and transmissions are considered a single
system. There are dedicated port and starboard drive units, immediately
aft of the engines, and they are shaped like rudders with the
propellers mounted on the leading edge, rather than facing the stern.
IPS uses underwater exhaust, which is routed out through the aft face
of each drive/rudder. Volvo reports that the horizontal drive angle
permitted by the forward facing props, (and a flow of water to the
props uninterrupted by struts and shafts), has improved top speed by up
to 20% and fuel efficiency by up to 30%. With such increased
efficiencies, smaller displacement and lower HP diesels can provide
adequate power for larger boats.

Maneuverability and noise reduction are also major selling points for
IPS technology.
By directing the 100% of the thrust in the desired direction, (rather
than relying on a rudder to divert part of the thrust with less than
100% efficiency) a boat will respond much more quickly to the helm.
Volvo testing indicates that the use of underwater exhaust and the
shorter drive train have reduced sound levels by almost 50% when
compared to identical vessels with conventional inboard propulsion.
Even at a cold start, there are no diesel exhaust fumes to blacken the
transom or assault the nostrils.

As with any new technology, many people react with skepticism when
first introduced to Volvo's IPS. ("Hey, Jethro, lookie here! They
just plumb put the props on backwards!")
Thoughtful critics have expressed concern about additional damage that
could result from striking a log with the forward facing props- only to
be rebutted by observations that striking a log with any drive system
is likely to result in prop damage, or worse. In the event of a
catastrophic impact, the Volvo drive units are designed to "break
away" without creating a hole in the hull. As discomforting as the
thought of a very expensive drive unit breaking away might be, the same
collision that would snap off a. IPS drive unit could just as easily
rip away a strut on a conventional twin inboard and create a several
square foot hull breach that would quickly overwhelm any system of
bilge pumps.

Certain commercial vessels and some passenger ferries have successfully
used forward-facing props, but IPS is a relatively new concept for
pleasure boats.

The IPS system may not immediately supplant all other drive system
options, but the technology is apparently sound and as the shock of
"backwards" propulsion seems to be wearing away, ever-increasing
numbers of boaters are likely to be choosing this system.

General description and specifications:

Regal's 3860 is a traditionally proportioned express cruiser hull
with contemporary accents. With a factory headquarters in Florida, the
larger Regals are built to be capable of open ocean usage, and the high
freeboard of the 3860 will improve its seakeeping ability as well as
provide excellent headroom in the cabin below. Regal makes a generous
use of top quality stainless steel throughout its product line, and a
gleaming windshield frame, bow rail, and portlights add some sparkle to
the svelte and stylish lines of the hull.
Spray is controlled aft by an extension of the swimstep molding, and a
double chine configuration will help assure a dry foredeck. Our test
boat was equipped with the optional hardtop, and in our Pacific NW
climate a hardtop as well as canvas enclosure are almost mandatory for
comfortable, all season boating.

A sunlounge with folding back support and four beverage holders is
situated on the foredeck. Ground tackle is handled by an anchor roller
with a stainless chain guard, and the rode is hauled by a windlass
controlled by either footswitches adjacent to the chain locker and
washdown area or a switch at the helm.

LOA: 40' 1"
Beam: 13'
Deadrise: 18 degrees
Dry weight: 19,000 lb.
Draft: 39"
Fuel: 276 USG
Water: 75 USG
Cabin headroom: 6'8"

Walkthrough:

We boarded the 3860 on its generously proportioned swim step, noting
the handy location of some "pop up" cleats that should prove useful
when securing a dinghy but will not trip up foot traffic when in the
down position. A hatch on the port side of the transom secures a
stowage locker as well as the shorepower connection and the standard TV
cable and telephone hookups.

The engine room is under the cockpit, and access is exceptional. An
electrically operated ram lifts the cockpit to provide the three
elements most prized (and most often missing) when servicing the
engines; light, air, and room to maneuver. Everything below decks
appeared well planned and professionally executed. Our test boat was