RCE

Default Ping: Shortwave

Remember the pic of the red, '55 Ford pickup?

(Heh,heh,heh)

I am heading for Denver the end of this week.

RCE

RCE

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:07:10 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

Remember the pic of the red, '55 Ford pickup?

(Heh,heh,heh)

I am heading for Denver the end of this week.

Very nice.

Gonna drive out in the Powerstoke with a car trailer to give it a first hand
look. If ok, I'll tow it back. I figure if the Powerstroke dies again, I'll
just swap positions of the trucks and tow with the '55.

:-)

RCE

RCE

Good luck on the trip - that's a haul.

Someday, I'd like to see it though - got to be a really nice job.

I mapped out a route using Windows Local Live. (really a cool site). I
entered a start point at the end of my driveway and a end point at the US
Mint in the center of Denver (don't know the exact address yet). Click on
"get directions" and the program calculates the best route, broken up into
many sections, plus the overall distance and approximate driving time.
Turns out to be 2001 miles and about 29 hours of driving time.

I figure I've done the MA to FL trip many times which is just about 1500
miles. So, an extra 501 miles won't be that bad ... maybe another day and a
half of driving. I've never been out there, other than briefly at the
airport, so it might be enjoyable to see the sights on the way out. Figure
I'll get back just in time for boating season.

RCE

RCE

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:07:10 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

Remember the pic of the red, '55 Ford pickup?

(Heh,heh,heh)

I am heading for Denver the end of this week.

Whoops - sorry - hit the wrong button.

I'm really torn about getting into another restoration. On the one
hand, it's a ton of fun to do and OEM parts are available for the
F-100. I have a really good fabricator that lives near me who can
help with the frame and I have enough heavy lift equipment in the barn
to do the heavy lifting. The body work that's left is relatively easy
stuff and nothing terribly complex - mostly fairing work on the OEM
fenders which are always a problem. I can build a big block Ford or
Chevy engine in my sleep - the rest of the job is just putting stuff
in place and bolting it on.

On the other hand, it's at least a two year project to full completion
(the last one took four years) and I just don't know if I want to get
into that again. Having the work done just seems like cheating after
the other restorations I've done.

What to do, what to do...

I don't have the knowledge or skill sets to do a project like that myself.
I admire the work of those that can. So, I have to be content with getting
them already done.

This truck isn't a pure restoration, which is what I like about it. It's a
restored '55 body mounted on a rebuilt '92 frame with the more modern
suspension components. The engine is a mildly built up 5.0 liter Ford
coupled to a C4 autotransmission with a shift kit. Talked to the seller
last night and he says it drives like a new truck .... just looks old.

I just like it.

RCE

Wayne.B

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:15:06 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

I've never been out there, other than briefly at the
airport, so it might be enjoyable to see the sights on the way out.

It turns out that the sights worth seeing are mostly west of Denver as
you head up into the mountains. Getting out there is real flat and
relatively uninteresting although eastern Colorado does have its
attractions.

Ping: Shortwave JimH General 2 February 27th 06 01:26 AM
Ping: Shortwave Sportfishing Doug Kanter General 5 January 9th 06 09:58 PM
Ping..........ping.................ping........... *JimH* General 0 October 30th 05 09:33 PM
Ping: Shortwave Eisboch General 0 October 18th 05 07:37 PM