posted to rec.boats.paddle
Michael Daly

Default Drysuit repair and alteration experience.

On 21-Mar-2006, Brian Nystrom wrote:

BTW, putting talc on latex socks and in the boots really helps, too.

I put a thin polypro sock over the latex socks. They stick to the latex
but slip into and out of the boot easily.

Mike
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Brian Nystrom

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Michael Daly wrote:

The Kokatat jacket was older and one of the low end models.
The Stolquist was a lot pricier and high end.

Stohlquist is not renowned for high quality at any price.

I've found my Maytag dry suit to be very high quality. There are some
aspects of the design I'm not totally happy with, but it's a very
well-made suit.
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Brian Nystrom

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Brian Nystrom:

As Pete said, use circular plastic containers of appropriate size
to stretch the latex gaskets before glueing.

What possible advantage could there be to doing that? Seals come in
stock sizes that are designed to be glued to garments made in the same
sizes. If you did manage to stretch a seal somewhat, you would simply be
compromizing the fit of the seal to the garment. You DO need to use snug
fitting forms in the garment when replacing wrist and ankle seals or
installing latex socks. The purose is to create a smooth surface and
prevent bunching of the material, not to stretch the seal.

Possible semantics issue. I don't use the Ricotta cheese containers for
stretching in the sense of making the gasket larger, just to provide a stable
foundation for bringing gasket and sleeve together. What's handy is the light
taper in the container - just put it inside the sleeve and slide it out until
the sleeve is taut and then place the gasket over top of the taught sleeve's
surface.

Yeah, that makes more sense.
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Brian Nystrom

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Good idea [to spray 303] especially on the outside, where the latex is
subjected to UV in use. On the inside, I prefer to use talc. It makes it
so easy to slip your head/hands/feet through seals you'll be amazed.

"The oil from talc powder will damage the latex."
http://www.purplepassion.com/purple-passion-hints.html

Pure talc contains no oil. Some types of baby powder do contain oil,
typically lanolin. No, I didn't get that from purple passion, I got it
from reading the labels.
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Brian Nystrom

Michael Daly wrote:
On 21-Mar-2006, Brian Nystrom wrote:

BTW, putting talc on latex socks and in the boots really helps, too.

I put a thin polypro sock over the latex socks. They stick to the latex
but slip into and out of the boot easily.

Good idea! I'll have to try that.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Hanta-Yo-Yo

Brian Nystrom wrote:
Michael Daly wrote:
On 21-Mar-2006, Brian Nystrom wrote:

BTW, putting talc on latex socks and in the boots really helps, too.

I put a thin polypro sock over the latex socks. They stick to the latex
but slip into and out of the boot easily.

Good idea! I'll have to try that.

Don't you want to have the insulating layer under the latex sock? The
latex keeps the insulation dry. Maybe then a thin sock over the outside
as well to facilitate putting the boots on. Seems to me that would be
the best of both solutions, and would also help prevent hot spots if
you are doing much potaging. HYY

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Brian Nystrom

Hanta-Yo-Yo wrote:
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Michael Daly wrote:

On 21-Mar-2006, Brian Nystrom wrote:

BTW, putting talc on latex socks and in the boots really helps, too.

I put a thin polypro sock over the latex socks. They stick to the latex
but slip into and out of the boot easily.

Good idea! I'll have to try that.

Don't you want to have the insulating layer under the latex sock? The
latex keeps the insulation dry.

Of course. That's not what his suggestion is about.

Maybe then a thin sock over the outside
as well to facilitate putting the boots on.

That's exactly what he suggested.
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Hanta-Yo-Yo

Brian Nystrom wrote:
Hanta-Yo-Yo wrote:
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Michael Daly wrote:

On 21-Mar-2006, Brian Nystrom wrote:

BTW, putting talc on latex socks and in the boots really helps, too.

I put a thin polypro sock over the latex socks. They stick to the latex
but slip into and out of the boot easily.

Good idea! I'll have to try that.

Don't you want to have the insulating layer under the latex sock? The
latex keeps the insulation dry.

Of course. That's not what his suggestion is about.

Maybe then a thin sock over the outside
as well to facilitate putting the boots on.

That's exactly what he suggested.

Ok, I guess I missed it, I'll reread the thread, thanks, HYY