Doug Kanter

Default So, how many of you audio snobs...

"Patty O'Furniture" wrote in message
Will be listening to the Chieftains singing rousing Irish and
revolutionary war songs this fine sunny day?

Oh, and I highly recommend you obtain a copy of "Celtic Woman" -
probably one of the best Irish albums I've ever heard.

It's not a day to be an audio snob - either .mp3 or CD will do don't
'cha know. :)

The Celtic Woman stuff's pretty good, but the Chieftains....I'd rather
listen to a vacuum cleaner. Sorry. Remember that this, like many other
holidays, is based on "facts" which do not bear close inspection. That's no
excuse for giving yourself a splitting headache.

RCE

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Patty O'Furniture" wrote in message
Will be listening to the Chieftains singing rousing Irish and
revolutionary war songs this fine sunny day?

Oh, and I highly recommend you obtain a copy of "Celtic Woman" -
probably one of the best Irish albums I've ever heard.

It's not a day to be an audio snob - either .mp3 or CD will do don't
'cha know. :)

The Celtic Woman stuff's pretty good, but the Chieftains....I'd rather
listen to a vacuum cleaner. Sorry. Remember that this, like many other
holidays, is based on "facts" which do not bear close inspection. That's
no excuse for giving yourself a splitting headache.

Ever hear them with bi-wired speakers? :-)

RCE

Audio snob

Doug Kanter

"RCE" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Patty O'Furniture" wrote in message
Will be listening to the Chieftains singing rousing Irish and
revolutionary war songs this fine sunny day?

Oh, and I highly recommend you obtain a copy of "Celtic Woman" -
probably one of the best Irish albums I've ever heard.

It's not a day to be an audio snob - either .mp3 or CD will do don't
'cha know. :)

The Celtic Woman stuff's pretty good, but the Chieftains....I'd rather
listen to a vacuum cleaner. Sorry. Remember that this, like many other
holidays, is based on "facts" which do not bear close inspection. That's
no excuse for giving yourself a splitting headache.

Ever hear them with bi-wired speakers? :-)

RCE

Audio snob

What the hell are bi-wired speakers???

RCE

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

What the hell are bi-wired speakers???

You don't want to know.

RCE

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Patty O'Furniture" wrote in message
Will be listening to the Chieftains singing rousing Irish and
revolutionary war songs this fine sunny day?

Oh, and I highly recommend you obtain a copy of "Celtic Woman" -
probably one of the best Irish albums I've ever heard.

It's not a day to be an audio snob - either .mp3 or CD will do don't
'cha know. :)

The Celtic Woman stuff's pretty good, but the Chieftains....I'd rather
listen to a vacuum cleaner. Sorry. Remember that this, like many other
holidays, is based on "facts" which do not bear close inspection. That's no
excuse for giving yourself a splitting headache.

From the history channel website:

((It turns out that St Patrick wasn't even Irish! Good chance he might
even have been *English*.....heaven forbid! :-) ))

Who Was St. Patrick?
St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, is one of Christianity's most
widely known figures. But for all his celebrity, his life remains
somewhat of a mystery. Many of the stories traditionally associated
with St. Patrick, including the famous account of his banishing all the
snakes from Ireland, are false, the products of hundreds of years of
exaggerated storytelling.

Taken Prisoner By Irish Raiders
It is known that St. Patrick was born in Britain to wealthy parents
near the end of the fourth century. He is believed to have died on
March 17, around 460 A.D. Although his father was a Christian deacon,
it has been suggested that he probably took on the role because of tax
incentives and there is no evidence that Patrick came from a
particularly religious family. At the age of sixteen, Patrick was taken
prisoner by a group of Irish raiders who were attacking his family's
estate. They transported him to Ireland where he spent six years in
captivity. (There is some dispute over where this captivity took place.
Although many believe he was taken to live in Mount Slemish in County
Antrim, it is more likely that he was held in County Mayo near
Killala.) During this time, he worked as a shepherd, outdoors and away
from people. Lonely and afraid, he turned to his religion for solace,
becoming a devout Christian. (It is also believed that Patrick first
began to dream of converting the Irish people to Christianity during
his captivity.)

Guided By Visions
After more than six years as a prisoner, Patrick escaped. According to
his writing, a voice-which he believed to be God's-spoke to him in
a dream, telling him it was time to leave Ireland.

To do so, Patrick walked nearly 200 miles from County Mayo, where it
is believed he was held, to the Irish coast. After escaping to Britain,
Patrick reported that he experienced a second revelation-an angel in
a dream tells him to return to Ireland as a missionary. Soon after,
Patrick began religious training, a course of study that lasted more
than fifteen years. After his ordination as a priest, he was sent to
Ireland with a dual mission-to minister to Christians already living
in Ireland and to begin to convert the Irish. (Interestingly, this
mission contradicts the widely held notion that Patrick introduced
Christianity to Ireland.)

Bonfires and Crosses
Familiar with the Irish language and culture, Patrick chose to
incorporate traditional ritual into his lessons of Christianity instead
of attempting to eradicate native Irish beliefs. For instance, he used
bonfires to celebrate Easter since the Irish were used to honoring
their gods with fire. He also superimposed a sun, a powerful Irish
symbol, onto the Christian cross to create what is now called a Celtic
cross, so that veneration of the symbol would seem more natural to the
Irish. (Although there were a small number of Christians on the island
when Patrick arrived, most Irish practiced a nature-based pagan
religion. The Irish culture centered around a rich tradition of oral
legend and myth. When this is considered, it is no surprise that the
story of Patrick's life became exaggerated over the
centuries-spinning exciting tales to remember history has always been
a part of the Irish way of life. )

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Patty O'Furniture" wrote in message
Will be listening to the Chieftains singing rousing Irish and
revolutionary war songs this fine sunny day?

Oh, and I highly recommend you obtain a copy of "Celtic Woman" -
probably one of the best Irish albums I've ever heard.

It's not a day to be an audio snob - either .mp3 or CD will do don't
'cha know. :)

The Celtic Woman stuff's pretty good, but the Chieftains....I'd rather
listen to a vacuum cleaner. Sorry. Remember that this, like many other
holidays, is based on "facts" which do not bear close inspection. That's
no
excuse for giving yourself a splitting headache.

From the history channel website:

[...]

He was born near Dunbarton in Scotland.