BB

Default 1987 Yamaha F9.9 OB

I have been offered a 1987 Yamaha F9.9 OB that doesn't turn over.
From only outward appearances the motor looks in great shape, by that I mean
it doesn't *look* like it has been abused or miss-treated. I believe it has
spent it's life in salt water as opposed to fresh. The prop turns by hand
(engine in neutral), so I don't think the problem is in the lower unit.
My question is, were there any inherent problems with this engine, that
caused it to seize if left idle for long periods of time. (The owner said he
never uses it).

I welcome any thoughts or insights.

Bill

Calif Bill

I had a motor I did not use for a year. Siezed the same way. Took a prybar
and using the starter / ring gear teeth, turned over the engine and it freed
up. Was still running fine years later.
Bill

"BB" wrote in message
I have been offered a 1987 Yamaha F9.9 OB that doesn't turn over.
From only outward appearances the motor looks in great shape, by that I

mean