Chris

Default trolling 30lb electric, will it do?

howdy boat folks,

I'm getting excited about the upcoming season and want to figure out my
trolling options. I've been pondering going electric for some time.

for my 15.5 runabout fiberglass I've been thinking about putting a 30lb min
kota on the back for the purpose of trolling while fishing. I'd only be
looking to go 3 kph max and if there were big waves then clearly I wouldn't
count on an electric motor to get me around.

what do you guys think? I don't want to spend big $$$ as I may just not
like the whole electric, plus, I want to take the same electric off and put
it on my canoe on occasion for some easier use.

will it work? remember that I don't want to go fast, but to only troll
around.

i've ready that I could expect anywhere from 3-4 hours of straight use, up
to a day on a single charge.... true?

last year when I went into a big store and asked about their motors of
course the one they said would only work was a very big, and powerful one.

thanks for your help guys.

C.

bowgus

I doubt you'll achieve trolling speed with a 30 lb ... I find my 65 lb
thrust works for trolling, but not into the wind :-) Get one of those
little 4 stroke Hondas for trolling.

bowgus

Oh yeah ... when you put that electric on your canoe, turn by using the
paddle, or by leaning ... if the motor approaches say 90 degrees the
canoe will roll like a log ... canoes like to track straight.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:41:04 -0500, "Chris"
wrote:

will it work? remember that I don't want to go fast, but to only troll
around.

It will sort of work if the winds not too strong, should make a heck
of a blender however.

Chris

so it sounds like a bad idea then....
going green costs more $$ ... those higher lb motors are far more expensive.

Ideally, if my 9.9 wasn't as heavy as it is, then I'd use it. However the
70-90lbs of it in this boat sure does tilt it when the weight is all to one
side on the trolling motor mount...

I may have to try a 2hp gas or something like that...or use the big gas
guzzler for a little longer.