Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Some pics "over there"...

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
I was out with the dogs when an American Bald Eagle floated around the
house. I ran in to get the camera but he had gained a ton of altitude
and I couldn't get a good shot.

It was exciting anyway. I think I have two nesting pairs in my woods
around my pond - I know I have one. The picture of the one I posted
was a huge male - when he passed over the house before I ran in to
grab the camera and I think it's a new one.

Have to call DEP and see if they can send out an official observer.

Oh, and some action shots of Skippy D. Dog.

My best ever eagle photo was an accident. By best ever, I don't mean
all that technically great- but it was one of those shots where you
couldn't wish for a happier coincidence.

I was shooting photos for a destination article about Port Ludlow. One
of the more visually interesting places there is a large round area,
atop a concrete bulkhead at the water's edge. An old tipi-style lumber
kiln was located there when Port Ludlow was a mill town. Today the kiln
is gone, but on its base are a couple of picnic tables and a story pole
("totem pole" to most Euro- Americans) depicting the history of the
area.

As I recall, the figures on the story pole are a beaver, a bear, and a
lumberjack and the pole is topped by a figure of a large eagle. The
story pole reads a lot like the Book of Genesis...in the beginning (at
the top of the pole) there was a creative spirit. As one works down the
pole and examines the different figures the story moves from the time
of first creation to the age when only plants and animals were on the
earth, and finally at the lowest figures there is evidence of modern
man- and even of industry.

As I was photographing the story pole, a real live bald eagle landed
atop the head of the wooden eagle on the pole, adding a second eagle to
the stack in a wonderful sort of way.

Some pics "over there"... thunder General 10 March 9th 06 02:25 AM
Some pics "over there"... JimH General 0 March 7th 06 10:55 PM
Some stuff "over there"... RCE General 0 March 2nd 06 10:13 PM
Fresh pics from a sailing trip to Antarctica t. heslenfeld General 0 January 8th 06 09:34 PM
Some Wilma Hurricane Pics lifted from a Boating Forum *JimH* General 2 October 29th 05 01:27 AM