thunder

Default Some pics "over there"...

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:52:26 +0000, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

I was out with the dogs when an American Bald Eagle floated around the
house. I ran in to get the camera but he had gained a ton of altitude and
I couldn't get a good shot.

It was exciting anyway. I think I have two nesting pairs in my woods
around my pond - I know I have one. The picture of the one I posted was a
huge male - when he passed over the house before I ran in to grab the
camera and I think it's a new one.

For the past several weeks, I have been watching several Bald Eagles fish
a local lake. You are right, they are quite exciting. They are also
making quite a comeback. In this state, New Jersey, we've gone from
having one nesting pair a few short years ago, to over fifty nesting pair.

http://www.state.nj.us/drbc/edweb/baldeagle.htm

It seems the Delaware River is an important wintering ground, as is the
Connecticut River. The bird is making such a comeback there is talk of
taking it off the endangered species list, if it hasn't already been done.

Wayne.B

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:28:04 -0500, thunder
wrote:

For the past several weeks, I have been watching several Bald Eagles fish
a local lake. You are right, they are quite exciting. They are also
making quite a comeback. In this state, New Jersey, we've gone from
having one nesting pair a few short years ago, to over fifty nesting pair.

They are apparently making a spectaular comeback. We have seen four
adults so far this year and one adolescent, here in south Florida. In
my entire life we had seen two previously in the wild, one on the
Connecticut River near Essex, and one off the coast of Monhegan
Island, Maine.

We have a LOT of Osprey around here, almost dime a dozen. From a
distance it's fairly easy to confuse the two but once you spot the
yellow beak and all white head, you know you've got an eage.

Del Cecchi

news
wrote:

For the past several weeks, I have been watching several Bald Eagles
fish
a local lake. You are right, they are quite exciting. They are also
making quite a comeback. In this state, New Jersey, we've gone from
having one nesting pair a few short years ago, to over fifty nesting
pair.

They are apparently making a spectaular comeback. We have seen four
adults so far this year and one adolescent, here in south Florida. In
my entire life we had seen two previously in the wild, one on the
Connecticut River near Essex, and one off the coast of Monhegan
Island, Maine.

Also, the wing profile of an osprey is more W shaped with the wingtips
swept back a little. Eagles are straight across.

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:08:30 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

They are apparently making a spectaular comeback. We have seen four
adults so far this year and one adolescent, here in south Florida. In my
entire life we had seen two previously in the wild, one on the Connecticut
River near Essex, and one off the coast of Monhegan Island, Maine.

We have a LOT of Osprey around here, almost dime a dozen. From a distance
it's fairly easy to confuse the two but once you spot the yellow beak and
all white head, you know you've got an eage.

There is something special about seeing a Bald Eagle, but Osprey ain't to
shabby either. I used to enjoy watching them dive on mullet. I've also
seen them with fish that I was sure they would never get airborne. So
far, I've seen these eagles with fish, but didn't actually see them catch
them. Hopefully, they will stick around, but I tend to think they are
heading north.

When in Florida, I've also enjoyed watching pelicans fish. A very silly
looking bird, but wonderfully adapted for it's tasks.
Jack Redington

thunder wrote:
[...]

A long time ago some friends and I were fishing at Lake Taneycomo near
Branson Mo and we watched a Eagle in the top of a very tall tree. We
were not doing much good and were cold as heck as it was winter. Then
the eagle took flight and made a beeline toward the lake about 50 yards
or so from us. It stopped just as the lake surface and plucked out a
nice big trout. Then went back to its tree and ate it. Sometimes I think
it was just mocking us :-)

But it was very cool to watch.

Capt Jack R..

Wayne.B

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:34:23 GMT, Jack Redington
wrote:

the eagle took flight and made a beeline toward the lake about 50 yards
or so from us. It stopped just as the lake surface and plucked out a
nice big trout. Then went back to its tree and ate it. Sometimes I think
it was just mocking us :-)

But it was very cool to watch.

You bet.

Moral of the story is to fish from the tallest tree possible, and eat
you catch while it's still fresh. :-)

Some pics "over there"... JimH General 0 March 7th 06 10:55 PM
Some stuff "over there"... RCE General 0 March 2nd 06 10:13 PM
OT; some Steamy pics for Doug... Scotty ASA 46 January 25th 06 06:41 PM
Fresh pics from a sailing trip to Antarctica t. heslenfeld General 0 January 8th 06 09:34 PM
boat trailer question, pics of trailer, opinions? LD General 0 December 12th 05 02:37 AM