Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.paddle
TT

Default Need suggestion on ordering & shipment of gunwales (or make my own?)

I've been speaking with REI regarding a gunwale (and other parts) order
for my 16' fiberglass Old Town canoe.

I also spoke with Old Town. Here's my beef and sticking point, not sure
what to do.

Old Town informed me they can only ship gunwales *with a canoe order*
to a dealer (in this case REI) to minimize shipping costs.

REI has informed me that they cannot guarantee that's the case and
wants to charge me $200 for shipping (when placing the order) which
they will then partially refund if the gunwales are shipped with a
canoe order.

Has anyone had an experience they can share with having gunwales
shipped? I wonder if there's any other way to get gunwales, another
dealer? shipped to me? etc. I can't take the risk of paying $200 to
ship $80 worth of parts, that's asinine.

Has anyone ever made their own gunwales? I do have access to equipment
and some knowledge of TIG welding and was thinking maybe I should make
these babies out of aluminum. ANY SUGGESTIONS as to what gauge aluminum
I would want to use to make these? They obviously need to bend to fit
the curve of the hull when riveted on.

HELP!

-Tom