posted to rec.boats.paddle
Michael Daly

Default Need suggestion on ordering & shipment of gunwales (or make my own?)

On 6-Mar-2006, "TT" wrote:

I've been speaking with REI regarding a gunwale (and other parts) order
for my 16' fiberglass Old Town canoe.

Does it have to be an Old Town gunwale? Around here, I can get gunnels
made of any sort of material (aluminum, plastic, ash etc) to repair or make
a canoe. Unless there's something special about the Old Town, you might
be able to use a generic gunwale and buy closer to home.

ANY SUGGESTIONS as to what gauge aluminum
I would want to use to make these?

I think most aluminum gunwales are extruded, not bent sheet aluminum.
Ditto plastic. It would be easy enough to make a wood gunwale with
a router table and appropriate router bits. If you know a keen woodworker,
you could do it.

Mike