BoatBanter.com

-   -   Marina recommendations in North Carolina (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/67175-marina-recommendations-north-carolina.html)

RCE March 2nd 06 11:42 AM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

Mrs.E. has asked me to research and find a winter slip for her GB somewhere
in North Carolina.
(this will be interesting)

Her interest is to take her GB south next fall to a quality marina that can
provide a cursory "watch" on the boat in her absence, has shore power and
cable TV available throughout the winter, and has decent facilities and
amenities. Her plan is to occasionally travel and stay on the boat for a
few days at a time during all but the worst of the winter months. Ideally,
the marina would be located near other points of interest, decent
restaurants, and, of course, shopping centers.

I've searched a few, but, without seeing them first-hand, it's hard to judge
them by website descriptions.
From the website description, Bennet Bros. Yachts/Cape Fear Marina looks
like it's worth investigating and I have emailed them for further
information regarding winter slip availabilities, lease or sale.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks,

RCE

DSK March 2nd 06 12:24 PM

RCE wrote:
I've searched a few, but, without seeing them first-hand, it's hard to judge
them by website descriptions.
From the website description, Bennet Bros. Yachts/Cape Fear Marina looks
like it's worth investigating and I have emailed them for further
information regarding winter slip availabilities, lease or sale.

Bennet Bros is a pretty nice place, a little pricey IMHO but
then it's right in Wilmington. It's also not a good place to
be in a hurricane, but it sounds like you're not planning to be.

A buddy of mine keeps his sailboat right around the corner
from B-B, been thru the place but never stayed there. It
left a good impression.

If it were me, I'd stay in Hampstead but it's a longer drive
to restaurants & theaters etc etc.

There are a couple of good places in New Bern & Elizabeth
City that I have more experience with, also some places to
avoid.

Why not Little River SC or Charleston or the Norfolk area,
just out of curiosity?

Fair Skies
Doug King

RCE March 2nd 06 12:32 PM

"DSK" wrote in message

If it were me, I'd stay in Hampstead but it's a longer drive to
restaurants & theaters etc etc.

There are a couple of good places in New Bern & Elizabeth City that I have
more experience with, also some places to avoid.

Why not Little River SC or Charleston or the Norfolk area, just out of
curiosity?

Fair Skies
Doug King

She mentioned Elizabeth City. Any specific recommendations there?
Norfolk, if we could find a decent spot, might be a possibility as it would
be near our son, DIL and new grandkid. Other than a transient visit there
on the Navigator, I don't know much about the area.

Come to think of it, the Navy base there has their own marina. It's
probably for retired Admirals or something though.

RCE

DSK March 2nd 06 02:32 PM

RCE wrote:
She mentioned Elizabeth City. Any specific recommendations there?

I can't recall off the top of my head, but I'll go look.

Norfolk, if we could find a decent spot, might be a possibility as it would
be near our son, DIL and new grandkid. Other than a transient visit there
on the Navigator, I don't know much about the area.

It's a big area. The nicest waterfront IMHO is across the
river in Hampton & Newport News.

Come to think of it, the Navy base there has their own marina. It's
probably for retired Admirals or something though.

No, as I understand it, any retired military personnel has
the right to get a spot. Might be a long wait list, though.
I know that's the case in other areas.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Wayne.B March 2nd 06 02:42 PM

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 07:24:17 -0500, DSK wrote:

Why not Little River SC or Charleston or the Norfolk area,
just out of curiosity?

The Charleston City Marina is a first class facility and Charleston
has a lot to offer. On the down side, there is a personal property
tax which gets applied to visiting boats after a certain amount of
time and a band of hungry tax collectors to enforce it.

There is a large full service marina north of Beaufort, NC on Adams
Creek but can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.
Wonderful area. We liked Oriental also but the marina we stayed at
(Whittaker Creek) was not full service. There are others however.

Belhaven, NC offers some really nice back country cruising in the
immediate vicinity but I can't speak to the marina question. There is
one there with a web site:

http://www.riverforestmarina.com/marina.htm

Coinjock? :-) 32 oz prime rib every night!

What about Great Bridge, VA? There is at least one large marina there
and it is not far from Norfolk.

RCE March 2nd 06 02:57 PM

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't know why she mentioned North Carolina,
although there's some really nice places there. On further reflection, I
think somewhere in the Norfolk area would be better. She (we)could visit my
son and daughter-in-law and new grandkid more often. I think I'll
concentrate on this area.

Coinjock? Did they downsize the prime rib? When we were there you could
order a 48 oz. Felt like Fred Flintstone at the dinner table. If we put
the boat there for the winter, I'd have to ship the General Lee down to use
for a daily driver.

RCE

Wayne.B March 2nd 06 07:14 PM

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 06:42:01 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

I've searched a few, but, without seeing them first-hand, it's hard to judge
them by website descriptions.
From the website description, Bennet Bros. Yachts/Cape Fear Marina looks
like it's worth investigating and I have emailed them for further
information regarding winter slip availabilities, lease or sale.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Here's a question I've never fully considered:

How far south do you need to be before it's safe to leave the boat in
the water without winterizing the engines, water tanks, heads, etc. ?

RCE March 2nd 06 07:50 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

Here's a question I've never fully considered:

How far south do you need to be before it's safe to leave the boat in
the water without winterizing the engines, water tanks, heads, etc. ?

The Equator?

I just got a response from Paul Bennett of Cape Fear Marina in Wilmington,
NC. He says the winters are typically mild, but they do have some days when
it drops below freezing. If the boat is heated, I don't see this as a
problem. It would have to get very cold for a long time to freeze any water
in the fresh water tanks or lines in the engine room compartment, I think.
They have many full time live-a-boards there, so it can't be an issue.

10 bucks a foot per month plus electricity. When we were in Scituate I was
paying almost 7k per season (5 months) for the Navigator, but it included
electricity. Cape Fear Marina for 5 months would be around 2,500 bucks plus
maybe 3 or 4 hundred for electricity. Sounds very reasonable, compared to
up here.
The GB, at 36 feet would be even cheaper.

They also have a limited number of slips for sale.

RCE

RCE March 2nd 06 08:09 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

You may also want to consider this marina. I used to have my boat
slipped there. There is also some information concerning the area.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Ahem. Ah, which marina is that, Gene?
(methinks maybe you hit the "send" too fast)

RCE

UglyDan®©™ March 2nd 06 08:24 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

It's been awhile since I've been in the area, but if your looking in the
Norfolk area try Willoughby Bay Marina, or Rebel Marine Lane Brigg's
place, He passed away last Sept, but I think one of his son's Jesse or
David runs it now, its not to far off gate's 3a or 4.
Or if you belong to a yacht club (reciprocal moorage?) you could also
try (NYCC) Norfolk Yacht & Country Club on the Lafayette river just off
of Hampton blvd, not too far from the main gate of Norfolk Naval. UD

JimH March 2nd 06 08:31 PM

"RCE" wrote in message

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

You may also want to consider this marina. I used to have my boat
slipped there. There is also some information concerning the area.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/ Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Ahem. Ah, which marina is that, Gene?
(methinks maybe you hit the "send" too fast)

RCE

I once heard Dave Mann brag about the super facilities next to the fishin'
pond at the 4H club in Derby, KS. You may want to touch base with him. ;-)

Wayne.B March 2nd 06 08:36 PM

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:50:12 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

I just got a response from Paul Bennett of Cape Fear Marina in Wilmington,
NC. He says the winters are typically mild, but they do have some days when
it drops below freezing.

And quite a few nights. :-)

Rates certainly sound reasonable compared to the NE and FL, sounds
like a plan. I'd want to give the marina and specific slip assignment
a good on site inspection before making a commitment. They get some
ferocious winter gales along the coast that can be just as damaging as
hurricanes if the marina is exposed to open water of any size.

RCE March 2nd 06 09:12 PM

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:50:12 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

I just got a response from Paul Bennett of Cape Fear Marina in Wilmington,
NC. He says the winters are typically mild, but they do have some days
when
it drops below freezing.

And quite a few nights. :-)

Rates certainly sound reasonable compared to the NE and FL, sounds
like a plan. I'd want to give the marina and specific slip assignment
a good on site inspection before making a commitment. They get some
ferocious winter gales along the coast that can be just as damaging as
hurricanes if the marina is exposed to open water of any size.

I've been checking a few marinas out on the web. Plan is to make a list of
potentials, then take a week and drive down there to check them out.

What I've been doing is getting the address of potential marinas, then
plugging it into Windows Live Local to determine where they are. Looks like
Cape Fear Marina is well inland, up a river from the ocean inlet and right
in downtown Wilmington. If you haven't tried it, Windows Live Local is
pretty cool.
Some areas of the country have "birdseye" views that are close enough to
recognize people.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?c...le=h&lvl=9&v=1

Hope that link fit ok.

RCE

JohnH March 2nd 06 09:13 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:31:15 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

You may also want to consider this marina. I used to have my boat
slipped there. There is also some information concerning the area.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/ Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Ahem. Ah, which marina is that, Gene?
(methinks maybe you hit the "send" too fast)

RCE

I once heard Dave Mann brag about the super facilities next to the fishin'
pond at the 4H club in Derby, KS. You may want to touch base with him. ;-)

Why turn this thread, which has been informative and interesting, into a
personal attack zone?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

RCE March 2nd 06 09:13 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:01:26 GMT in rec.boats, Gene Kearns penned the
following thoughts:

You may also want to consider this marina. I used to have my boat
slipped there. There is also some information concerning the area.

Ooops..... a link might help, huh?

http://www.southharboursales.com/marina.html

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Thanks. I'll check it out.

RCE

RCE March 2nd 06 09:16 PM

""UglyDan®©T"" wrote in message
It's been awhile since I've been in the area, but if your looking in the
Norfolk area try Willoughby Bay Marina, or Rebel Marine Lane Brigg's
place, He passed away last Sept, but I think one of his son's Jesse or
David runs it now, its not to far off gate's 3a or 4.
Or if you belong to a yacht club (reciprocal moorage?) you could also
try (NYCC) Norfolk Yacht & Country Club on the Lafayette river just off
of Hampton blvd, not too far from the main gate of Norfolk Naval. UD

Thanks. Added to the list to check out.

RCE

Don White March 2nd 06 09:35 PM

comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
m...

[...]

When we went to Disneyworld way back in 1993, my wife found and
purchased a metal realistic looking sheriff's badge with her name
(spelled correctly) on it. Wonder if we can order one for John?
note: it looks just like the Lonestar channel version that they keep
shooting at.

JimH March 2nd 06 09:40 PM

"Don White" wrote in message

comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Good idea. And he can wear it on the days he decides to do the Sheriffin'
around these parts, then take it off other days when he feels it is ok for
*him* to contribute political and other non boating related posts to the
group. ;-)

JohnH March 2nd 06 09:49 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:27:40 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

.. .
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry that trying to keep the name-calling out bothers you so much.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH March 2nd 06 09:50 PM

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:35:08 GMT, Don White wrote:

comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

Ditto.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JimH March 2nd 06 09:50 PM

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:27:40 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

. ..
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, but I did no name calling. I made a joke. Loosen up John and stop
the sheriff routine.....no one appreciates it.

JohnH March 2nd 06 09:53 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:50:53 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

.. .

comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

Seems like I'm not the only one who doesn't appreciate the crap, Jim.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JimH March 2nd 06 09:56 PM

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:50:53 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:27:40 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

m...
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

What crap is that John? I made a joke. You immediately came galloping in
on your pony, white hat and sheriffs badge, accused me of name calling
(which was not true) and actually ended up to be the person ruining this
thread.

Way to go Sheriff.

JimH March 2nd 06 10:08 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:27:40 -0500 in rec.boats, " JimH"
jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS penned the following thoughts:

Giddyup Sheriff.

You know, John is right, in so far as Skipper provides enough goofy OP
threads suitable for ridicule, without polluting threads he didn't
start as a troll.

"Brunswick and Other Legends", "Croakers, Grunts 'n Mackerel", "The
Real West", and "East Coast Fish Stocks Depleted" are great examples
of ridiculous trolling that deserves derision.... not so, other
threads that Skipper hasn't injected his peculiar peccadilloes
into....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Sorry I offended you Gene. I thought my post was funny and was not
disturbing to the thread in general.

But if you and John want to improve the NG how about focusing on Skipper,
the one who is actively trying to disrupt the group rather than on the one
joke I made that I thought would be appreciated.

Wearing a badge and trying to act tough to folks who actively contribute to
the NG and have it's interest at hand is not productive.

RCE March 2nd 06 10:12 PM

comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:27:40 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

om...
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

Well. It sure didn't take long for this thread to go to hell in a
handbasket.
Starting to snow now.

RCE

JimH March 2nd 06 10:14 PM

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:50:53 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

m...
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

news:mtne025dgqlqnveavf4rudiv74gcibvt3d@4ax. com...
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

I apologize Richard. All I did was make a joke. That's all.

RCE March 2nd 06 10:56 PM

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:12:06 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

Well. It sure didn't take long for this thread to go to hell in a
handbasket.
Starting to snow now.

We've got about three inches. Some parts of the state have five.

Yeah, just looked outside and it's coming down pretty good now. I got a
plow for my JD 'Gator and I am kinda itching to try it out. Maybe we'll get
enough by morning.

Fantastic pictures, BTW with that 150mm. Really impressive.

RCE

JohnH March 3rd 06 12:02 AM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 23:37:38 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:56:57 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

. ..
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:12:06 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

Well. It sure didn't take long for this thread to go to hell in a
handbasket.
Starting to snow now.

We've got about three inches. Some parts of the state have five.

Yeah, just looked outside and it's coming down pretty good now. I got a
plow for my JD 'Gator and I am kinda itching to try it out. Maybe we'll get
enough by morning.

Fantastic pictures, BTW with that 150mm. Really impressive.

That has a macro tube on it - makes a world of difference.

I might pick up a 7-14 mm macro lens - maybe at the end of the summer.

Cox's server finally got your pictures. Great shots. Now I have to find a
macro. Maybe RCE will do some research and find a good Nikkor for us.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH March 3rd 06 12:03 AM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:56:57 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

.. .
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:12:06 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

Well. It sure didn't take long for this thread to go to hell in a
handbasket.
Starting to snow now.

We've got about three inches. Some parts of the state have five.

Yeah, just looked outside and it's coming down pretty good now. I got a
plow for my JD 'Gator and I am kinda itching to try it out. Maybe we'll get
enough by morning.

Fantastic pictures, BTW with that 150mm. Really impressive.

RCE

Now go do some research and find a good macro for that Nikon. Let me know
what you find!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH March 3rd 06 12:03 AM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:08:40 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

[...]

Skipper is easily ignored, if one has the maturity to do so.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

RCE March 3rd 06 12:16 AM

"JohnH" wrote in message

Skipper is easily ignored, if one has the maturity to do so.
--
'Til next time,

John H

Skipper can sometimes be hilarious in a weird kind of way. If it weren't
for his bigotry, he wouldn't be so bad.

RCE

JimH March 3rd 06 12:17 AM

comREMOVETHIS wrote:

[...]

*Maturity*?

Can you say 'flaming' John?

And you dare to call others on the carpet for doing exactly what you do?

OMG.

Drop it already and just enjoy the NG.

JohnH March 3rd 06 12:22 AM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:16:53 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .

Skipper is easily ignored, if one has the maturity to do so.
--
'Til next time,

John H

Skipper can sometimes be hilarious in a weird kind of way. If it weren't
for his bigotry, he wouldn't be so bad.

RCE

That's true too! When he wasn't being purposely offensive, he was quite
humorous. I've had him kf'd for a while, but since so may folks quote him I
don't think I've missed much.

Now, have you found us a nice macro lens yet?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

RCE March 3rd 06 12:54 AM

"JohnH" wrote in message

Now, have you found us a nice macro lens yet?
--
'Til next time,

John H

What's that?

Just kidding. All I've bought since I got the camera is an extra battery.
I've been experimenting - took some portrait shots of one of the grandkids.
Still very much in the learn mode.

RCE

rcoleman March 3rd 06 02:04 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

Here's another vote for Wilmington, NC. But I would look into mooring up
along the City Riverwalk versus Bennett Bros. Bonnet is a nice yard, just on
the edge of town, but you can't really walk to eat or shop, and, it is next
door to the sewer plant. You can look up the dockmaster from the city
webpage, and I'll bet he'll cut you a great deal for a winter stay. There
are a few other small marinas on the river, two local beach operations, and
then down the way, Southport, as Gene mentioned earlier. If you want a
really nice experience, check out BaldHead Island. It's totally isolated,
but one of my favorite spots. But like I said, if you tie up on the city
docks, you can step off the GB and right into a number of restaurants and
bars. I doubt they have Cable however, but power and water can be
had.Wilmington has a large downtown historic district if you are into that
sort of thing, and plenty of hardcore shopping by car. Down the road is
Myrtle Beach(60mi) for the true outlet addict, and more golf courses than
you could ever play.Not many great marina locations however, and you'll need
a car and some patience to get around. Charleston is 150mi away, but that is
one expensive city, and the city marina isn't walking distance to anything.
Wild Dunes is nearby on the Isle of Palms, and a great resort facility if
you got the bucks. Everything in Charleston is pretty crowded, and I'd be
surprised if you could get long-term dockage. So that's Southern NC. Going
the other way is New Burn, Beaufort, Oriental, all nice, nautical, but
smallish cities. They are also a long drive to anywhere. So check out
Wilmington. It's a good mix.

"RCE" wrote in message
Mrs.E. has asked me to research and find a winter slip for her GB
somewhere in North Carolina.
(this will be interesting)

Her interest is to take her GB south next fall to a quality marina that
can provide a cursory "watch" on the boat in her absence, has shore power
and cable TV available throughout the winter, and has decent facilities
and amenities. Her plan is to occasionally travel and stay on the boat
for a few days at a time during all but the worst of the winter months.
Ideally, the marina would be located near other points of interest, decent
restaurants, and, of course, shopping centers.

I've searched a few, but, without seeing them first-hand, it's hard to
judge them by website descriptions.
From the website description, Bennet Bros. Yachts/Cape Fear Marina looks

RCE March 3rd 06 02:53 PM

"rcoleman" wrote in message
Here's another vote for Wilmington, NC. But I would look into mooring up
along the City Riverwalk versus Bennett Bros. Bonnet is a nice yard, just
on the edge of town, but you can't really walk to eat or shop, and, it is
next door to the sewer plant.

Thanks much for the recommendations, everyone. Mrs.E. and I have some
investigating to do, for sure, but having the input of some local knowledge
is very helpful.

RCE

rcoleman March 3rd 06 03:27 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

Here's a link to the Wilmington Dockmaster. The harbormaster is a young cat
who goes by "RT". A bottle of Capt.Jerry's rum goes a long way in
negotiations. Don't pay any attention to the time limits listed, there
aren't a lot of boats hooked up except during one of the festivals, and
you'd miss those over winter anyway. RT is a good guy, so bring him a bottle
when you tie up, and he'll likely forget just when you got there. Wilmington
is trying to get this kind of business anyway, so I'm sure they would
accomodate you.

http://www.wilmingtonnc.gov/Portals/...g_brochure.pdf

Here's a good general info site for the NC coast.
http://www.insiders.com/wilmington/

I'm not affiliated with any of this BTW, I just like boats.

Reggie Smithers March 3rd 06 08:05 PM

comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if you noticed, but you have become JimH's new target for
flames. It used to be Harry and Chuck, it is now you.

I think Chuck's advice is best. Ignore those who are trolling for a
flame war.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Reggie Smithers March 3rd 06 08:12 PM

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:27:40 -0500 in rec.boats, " JimH"
jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS penned the following thoughts:
Giddyup Sheriff.

You know, John is right, in so far as Skipper provides enough goofy OP
threads suitable for ridicule, without polluting threads he didn't
start as a troll.

"Brunswick and Other Legends", "Croakers, Grunts 'n Mackerel", "The
Real West", and "East Coast Fish Stocks Depleted" are great examples
of ridiculous trolling that deserves derision.... not so, other
threads that Skipper hasn't injected his peculiar peccadilloes
into....

The last few weeks have seen a substantial increase in political trolls.
This thread shows how quickly politics can leave the Off Topic Threads
and invade an On Topic Thread ruining the thread for those who actually
wanted to read an On Topic post. I am sure anyone who reads this thread
in the middle is wondering how a request for a Marina recommendation
results in silly name calling and a boring flame war.

Hopefully the number of political trolls will decrease and we can stop
get back to treating each other with respect.