BoatBanter.com

-   -   Marina recommendations in North Carolina (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/67175-marina-recommendations-north-carolina.html)

RCE March 3rd 06 08:16 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
. ..

I am sure anyone who reads this thread in the middle is wondering how a
request for a Marina recommendation results in silly name calling and a
boring flame war.

Perfectly natural occurrence in wrecked.boats.

RCE

Reggie Smithers March 3rd 06 08:16 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

JimH wrote:
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:27:40 -0500 in rec.boats, " JimH"
jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS penned the following thoughts:
Giddyup Sheriff.

You know, John is right, in so far as Skipper provides enough goofy OP
threads suitable for ridicule, without polluting threads he didn't
start as a troll.

"Brunswick and Other Legends", "Croakers, Grunts 'n Mackerel", "The
Real West", and "East Coast Fish Stocks Depleted" are great examples
of ridiculous trolling that deserves derision.... not so, other
threads that Skipper hasn't injected his peculiar peccadilloes
into....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Sorry I offended you Gene. I thought my post was funny and was not
disturbing to the thread in general.

But if you and John want to improve the NG how about focusing on Skipper,
the one who is actively trying to disrupt the group rather than on the one
joke I made that I thought would be appreciated.

Wearing a badge and trying to act tough to folks who actively contribute to
the NG and have it's interest at hand is not productive.

Jim do you remember how offended you became when JohnH asks an on topic
question in the middle of a post you started?

Can you imagine how frustrated Richard is when his serious request for
marina recommendations becomes nothing more than a long string of
"Giddy Up Sheriff" and "who are you to tell me I hijack a thread with
politics."

We need to get back to making non inflammatory posts or rec.boats will
revert to it's old ways very quickly.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

RCE March 3rd 06 08:35 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
. ..

Can you imagine how frustrated Richard is when his serious request for
marina recommendations becomes nothing more than a long string of "Giddy
Up Sheriff" and "who are you to tell me I hijack a thread with politics."

I don't get frustrated. I've been here for a long, long time.

Some of it is funny as hell.

Foul-mouthed name calling is just plain dumb and is not needed, nor is
perpetual political posting.
But occasional OT posts and spirited "debates" are often interesting .... or
at least entertaining.

Maybe not in mold of original Usenet protocols, but that's my feeling.
Things change.

RCE

Don White March 3rd 06 11:00 PM

Reggie Smithers wrote:
JohnH wrote:

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:27:40 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:31:15 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

You may also want to consider this marina. I used to have my boat
slipped there. There is also some information concerning the area.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/ Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Ahem. Ah, which marina is that, Gene?
(methinks maybe you hit the "send" too fast)

RCE

I once heard Dave Mann brag about the super facilities next to the
fishin'
pond at the 4H club in Derby, KS. You may want to touch base with
him. ;-)

Why turn this thread, which has been informative and interesting,
into a
personal attack zone?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Giddyup Sheriff.

Sorry that trying to keep the name-calling out bothers you so much.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH,

I don't know if you noticed, but you have become JimH's new target for
flames. It used to be Harry and Chuck, it is now you.

I think Chuck's advice is best. Ignore those who are trolling for a
flame war.

Hold on...John has been riding herd on Jim a bit lately.
He should know that it's going to be tit for tat when he does so.

RCE March 4th 06 12:26 AM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

2) Second, but fairly unrelated topic, is the dreaded " --", which
most newsreaders see as "signature follows," and will delete anything
following. I see more and more posts that include the signature line
of the preceding poster.. that can get anything that *you* write
deleted in the followup to your post.

If your newsreader does not automatically delete anything below the "
--" it might be a good idea for you to do so...

I just learned about the -- space enter thing the other day - after all
these years. I still am not sure I understand the purpose. OE has
provision for a signature to be automatically inserted with two box options
of "Add signature to all outgoing messages" and "Don't add signatures to
replies and forwards". There is then a text box where you can compose one or
more signature lines. I am not sure how the "stripping" of signatures
takes place.

RCE

Reggie Smithers March 4th 06 02:47 AM

Don White wrote:

comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

You might be correct, for the last few weeks, I have only been reading
about 10% of the posts, especially once they have are on their 2nd or
3rd tangent. The point Chuck's advice still is good advice. If JimH
thinks JohnH is trolling for a flame war, then he should ignore him.

RCE March 4th 06 07:59 AM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 19:26:19 -0500 in rec.boats, RCE penned the
following thoughts:

I just learned about the -- space enter thing the other day - after all
these years. I still am not sure I understand the purpose. OE has
provision for a signature to be automatically inserted with two box
options
of "Add signature to all outgoing messages" and "Don't add signatures to
replies and forwards". There is then a text box where you can compose one
or
more signature lines. I am not sure how the "stripping" of signatures
takes place.

Not sure how your reply would have appeared if you had not edited
anything, but (without any editing) your newsreader should have
automatically quoted everything in my post above the "-- " thing.

IOW, it should delete everything below the "--".

Ah! I'll have to try it. Thanks.

RCE

Reggie Smithers March 4th 06 01:39 PM

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 19:26:19 -0500 in rec.boats, RCE penned the
following thoughts:
I just learned about the -- space enter thing the other day - after all
these years. I still am not sure I understand the purpose. OE has
provision for a signature to be automatically inserted with two box options
of "Add signature to all outgoing messages" and "Don't add signatures to
replies and forwards". There is then a text box where you can compose one or
more signature lines. I am not sure how the "stripping" of signatures
takes place.

Not sure how your reply would have appeared if you had not edited
anything, but (without any editing) your newsreader should have
automatically quoted everything in my post above the "-- " thing.

IOW, it should delete everything below the "-- ".

Gene,
I tried to change my sig so it conforms with industry standard. ;)

Did I succeed?

[email protected] March 4th 06 03:34 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

Thank you Don. That seems to be something some folks here forgot. I
am even receiving emails from the guy now about this thread.

If he would take his nose out of my butt would get along just fine. I
don't appreciate his constant netcopping of me, telling me what is and
what is not appropriate for me to post.

As I stated before, if my joke offended anyone I apologize.

JimH March 4th 06 04:15 PM

Marina recommendations in North Carolina

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you Don. That seems to be something some folks here forgot. I
am even receiving emails from the guy now about this thread.

If he would take his nose out of my we butt would get along just fine. I
don't appreciate his constant netcopping of me, telling me what is and
what is not appropriate for me to post.

As I stated before, if my joke offended anyone I apologize.

edit