thunder

Default World's Easiest Quiz.

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:01:23 -0600, Skipper wrote:

Not so fast, I protest the decision of the judge. The questions were
poorly worded, and in some cases, the answers given are wrong.

1) How long did the Hundred Years War last? 116 years

Perhaps, if you asked "In total", but you didn't. Also, as the "Hundred
Years" groups a series of conflicts, you ignore the included peaceful
times, but, semantically, if the war lasted 116 years, it also lasted 100.

2) Which country makes Panama hats? Ecuador

And hats made in Panama aren't? Perhaps, if you had used the proper noun,
Panama Hat.

3) From which animal do we get catgut? Sheep and Horses

Animal = singular, yet your answer is plural, very bad form. It's also
the wrong answer. Catgut can also be made from goat, pigs, and various
other animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catgut

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution? November

I can find no reports of modern day celebrations.

5) What is a camel's hair brush made of? Squirrel fur

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific is named after what animal? Dogs

As Reggie pointed out, when did the Canary Islands move to the Pacific?

7) What was King George VI's first name? Albert

Not after he became King. His first name while he was King, was George.

8) What color is a purple finch? Crimson

Not a female purple finch. They are brown and white, no crimson, no red,
no purple.

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from? New Zealand

New Zealand is flat wrong. Chinese gooseberries are indigenous to China.
They have been grown in this country, as long as they have been grown in
New Zealand. The safest answer would be "from your supermarket".

http://www.museums.org.za/bio/plants..._chinensis.htm

10) What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane? Orange,
of course.

And we have a wiener, but it was like pulling teeth from this group.

Skipper

"Wayne.B" wrote:

Truth is that once you are south of Seattle, there are a lot more
cruising opportunities on the east coast. And you don't need foul
weather gear, long underwear and a cabin heater to enjoy them.

Bet you found more than your share of sparkly and glittery water fairies
cruisin eastern waters. Was it anything like the clear pristine
phosphorescent waters and bright blue skies one experiences on West
Coast voyages? Was there some quality on the East Coast that tripped
your trigger of recognition so that in the fantastic and exotic scenery
you found yourself nodding and saying inwardly, 'Yes, I know'?

--
Skipper

Default World's Easiest Quiz.- (diverted to West Coast Cruising)

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:12:35 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

BTW, why didn't you move to the west coast and buy that trawler?

Truth is that once you are south of Seattle, there are a lot more
cruising opportunities on the east coast. And you don't need foul
weather gear, long underwear and a cabin heater to enjoy them.

Fair comment, if one overlooks the minor technicality that some of the
prettiest parts of Puget Sound are south of Seattle.

Our sheltered "inland" waters, and "Inside Passage" waters that run in
an almost uninterrupted 1,300 mile link from Olympia, Washinton to
Skagway Alaska are, IMO, the finest cruising waters in the world unless
baking up a good case of melanoma is high on the list of ones'
proiorities. Yes, you will find days in June, July, and August where a
little cabin heat will be welcome just about sunrise.

The other difference may be that for most Pacific NW waters, miles and
miles of pristine wilderness shoreline will be ocassionally interrupted
by a small patch of "civilization". My limited observations lead me to
suspect that the reverse is more commonly true on the hot, humid, side
of the continent. :-)

Skipper

thunder wrote:

Not so fast, I protest the decision of the judge. The questions were
poorly worded, and in some cases, the answers given are wrong.

Overruled!

Exception.

Exception noted, move on.

--
Skipper
Skipper

wrote:

[...]

And lest we forget:

"Some quality there is in the whole Gulf that trips a trigger of
recognition so that in fantastic and exotic scenery one finds oneself
nodding and saying inwardly, 'Yes, I know.' And on the shore the wild
doves mourn in the evening and then there comes a pang, some kind of
emotional jar, and a longing. And if one followed his whispering impulse
he would walk away slowly into the thorny brush following the call of
the doves. Trying to remember the Gulf is like trying to re-create a
dream. This is by no means a sentimental thing, it has little to do with
beauty or even conscious liking. But the Gulf does draw one, and we have
talked to rich men who own boats, who can go where they will. Regularly
they find themselves sucked into the Gulf. And since we have returned,
there is always in the backs of our minds the positive drive to go back
again. If it were lush and rich, one could understand the pull, but it
is fierce and hostile and sullen. The stone mountains pile up to the sky
and there is little fresh water. But we know we must go back if we live,
and we don't know why."

John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

--
Skipper

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I would much rather be sunburned than suffer a case of mold.

Neptune has smiled on Pacific NW boaters. During the summer months, our
mold dries out just a bit and turns a beautiful nut brown that any
unsuspecting non-native might actually mistake for a real suntan.

What did the Seattlite say to the Pillsbury
Doughboy?..................."Nice tan!!"

However, we when do get our annual sunny weekend we don't have Clue One
about how to properly react and you will see a high percentage of the
population with second degree sunburns at work come Monday morning. I
have heard a rumor that hospital emergency rooms are overwhelmed with
people frightened about the mysterious red "rash" that is covering the
bodies of entire families.

Did you know that one of the hottest markets for sunglasses is in the
Pacific NW? Seriously, true. I have two theories about this; the first
being that if our normal and gorgeous cloud cover ever becomes
defective enough to let a suggestion of sunlight actually beam through-
panicked NW'ers run out and make frantic purchases of sunglasses so
that they will have every possible defense at hand in case of aned
actual "solar emergency." The second theory is that the number of days
when sunglasses would be useful are so few and far between that few
people remember where they stored their still-new sunglasses after the
one day of "solar emergency" they wore them last year.

RCE

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Even in chilly New England, Long Island Sound was warm enough to boat in
in a bathing suit, and swim in without wearing a wet suit.

You actually swim in Long Island Sound?

That's disgusting.

RCE

Skipper wrote:
wrote:

[...]

So how many years since *you* have been to the Sea of Cortez, and when
are you next going back?

Wayne.B

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:28:32 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Snipper found some Steinbeck to rewrite and claim as his own. This,
of course, is cheaper and easier than actually visiting these places.

And a lot easier than composing your own prose, Steinbeck or
otherwise. Snipper is right however about the scenic beauty on the
west coast of Kansas, with those quaint little one convenience store
towns every 20 miles, and those great gleaming grain elevators
reaching to the sky. I think Steinbeck may have had a few words to
say about Oklahoma, just south of there.

Skipper

RCE wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote:

Even in chilly New England, Long Island Sound was warm enough to boat in
in a bathing suit, and swim in without wearing a wet suit.

You actually swim in Long Island Sound?

That's disgusting.

Of course, Krause doesn't actually do anything out on the water, and
never has.

--
Skipper

The Best of All Worlds Capt. Rob ASA 2 December 22nd 05 11:44 PM
Satellite Quiz Jeff ASA 3 December 15th 05 02:31 PM
Navigation quiz #1 Donal ASA 2 December 14th 05 08:39 PM
Navigation quiz #2 Jonathan Ganz ASA 1 December 13th 05 02:18 AM
Navigation quiz #1 Jonathan Ganz ASA 0 December 13th 05 01:35 AM