RCE

Default Ping: Tom the trainer ...

How do you teach a juvenile delinquent dog not to bark at everything he sees
in the back yard?
He's just over 10 months and is starting to feel his oats. We have a fenced
in backyard for him to romp around in but he has developed a liking to
standing at the fence line and barking at a neighbor's house that is quite a
ways back from the fence line. I want him to get used to playing around in
the back, but don't want to drive the neighbors nuts. He's proud of himself
because his voice has changed and now has a very deep, throaty bark.

If I call him back to the house he always comes. I just can't leave him out
there for very long.

RCE

Don White

RCE wrote:
How do you teach a juvenile delinquent dog not to bark at everything he sees
in the back yard?
He's just over 10 months and is starting to feel his oats. We have a fenced
in backyard for him to romp around in but he has developed a liking to
standing at the fence line and barking at a neighbor's house that is quite a
ways back from the fence line. I want him to get used to playing around in
the back, but don't want to drive the neighbors nuts. He's proud of himself
because his voice has changed and now has a very deep, throaty bark.

If I call him back to the house he always comes. I just can't leave him out
there for very long.

RCE

Sounds like he has you trained. If he wants in from the cold &
damp...he barks at the neighbours.
RCE

"Don White" wrote in message

Sounds like he has you trained. If he wants in from the cold & damp...he
barks at the neighbours.

I think you are right. He comes back to the house whenever I call him
because he gets rewarded with a "treat". So now, the barking has become
part of the routine.

RCE

Doug Kanter

"RCE" wrote in message

"Don White" wrote in message

Sounds like he has you trained. If he wants in from the cold & damp...he
barks at the neighbours.

I think you are right. He comes back to the house whenever I call him
because he gets rewarded with a "treat". So now, the barking has become
part of the routine.

RCE

This ought to do the trick:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ore/1895G.aspx

JohnH

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:02:07 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"RCE" wrote in message

"Don White" wrote in message

Sounds like he has you trained. If he wants in from the cold & damp...he
barks at the neighbours.

I think you are right. He comes back to the house whenever I call him
because he gets rewarded with a "treat". So now, the barking has become
part of the routine.

RCE

This ought to do the trick:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ore/1895G.aspx

Cool! This was my 'squirrel gun' when I was a kid. I hadn't thought about
it for ages, until you posted that site. Brings back lots of memories.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...Golden39A.aspx
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

wrote:

This ought to do the trick:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ore/1895G.aspx

Cool! This was my 'squirrel gun' when I was a kid. I hadn't thought about
it for ages, until you posted that site. Brings back lots of memories.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...Golden39A.aspx
--
'Til next time,

John H

You hunted squirrels with a 45-70? That round was designed for buffalo!

JohnH

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:05:13 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

How do you teach a juvenile delinquent dog not to bark at everything he sees
in the back yard?
He's just over 10 months and is starting to feel his oats. We have a fenced
in backyard for him to romp around in but he has developed a liking to
standing at the fence line and barking at a neighbor's house that is quite a
ways back from the fence line. I want him to get used to playing around in
the back, but don't want to drive the neighbors nuts. He's proud of himself
because his voice has changed and now has a very deep, throaty bark.

If I call him back to the house he always comes. I just can't leave him out
there for very long.

RCE

Go sailing out the back door like a banshee yelling 'NO' as loudly and
gruffly as you possibly can. I'm assuming your dog understands 'NO'. That
worked for both my dogs.

Now I can no longer use the word "no" with the lab. She can't hear.

--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Ping, JohnH [email protected] General 3 January 20th 06 06:29 PM
Ping Commodore Joe Capt. Rob ASA 0 January 19th 06 02:23 AM
Ping..........ping.................ping........... *JimH* General 0 October 30th 05 09:33 PM
Ping Doug! Capt. Rob ASA 0 October 26th 05 08:44 PM