BoatBanter.com

-   -   Jaws author died (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/66508-jaws-author-died.html)

Billgran February 13th 06 02:01 AM

Jaws author died

Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

Tom February 13th 06 07:35 AM

Jaws author died

"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the movie.
When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing line, I
left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that has
visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that movie or I
wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I know! Illinois
has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Tom G.

JohnH February 13th 06 12:43 PM

Jaws author died

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:35:33 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

"Billgran" wrote in message
Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the movie.
When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing line, I
left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that has
visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that movie or I
wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I know! Illinois
has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Tom G.

I'd like to go to a municipal swimming pool on a hot summer day and play
the 'Jaws' theme over the loudspeakers, just to see what would happen.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Bill Kearney February 13th 06 02:39 PM

Jaws author died

I'd like to go to a municipal swimming pool on a hot summer day and play
the 'Jaws' theme over the loudspeakers, just to see what would happen.

About as funny as when we took a pair of boomboxes on opposites sides of a
river and played Dueling Banjos when a canoe came along. Damn near had a
coronary laughing when the guys in the canoe started paddling LIKE CRAZY to
get outta there.

As for Benchley, now he sleeps wid' da fishes.

thunder February 13th 06 03:45 PM

Jaws author died

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:35:33 +0000, Tom wrote:

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the
movie. When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing
line, I left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that
has visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that
movie or I wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I
know! Illinois has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Then you don't want to look at this:

http://www.cherryflava.com/photos/un...ed/shark01.jpg

Doug Kanter February 13th 06 03:47 PM

Jaws author died

"Tom" wrote in message

"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the
movie. When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing
line, I left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that
has visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that
movie or I wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I
know! Illinois has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Tom G.

Last summer, the NY DEC captured a 4 foot long gator in the Cohocton River,
about an hour south of Rochester. They said it was big enough to be
"troublesome". Troublesome. Right. I was wading in that river with a fishing
pole a week before the story hit the news. They said the owner didn't
realize his two crocs would get so big, so he let them go. They didn't find
#2, but said it would not survive the winter. Probably.

Don White February 13th 06 04:00 PM

Jaws author died

Tom wrote:
"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..

Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the movie.
When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing line, I
left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that has
visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that movie or I
wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I know! Illinois
has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Tom G.

The first year it was released (late 70s?) a lot of people were afraid
of the water. Watch the movie...you'll get over it in a year or so.
That was a real classic...beautiful photography.. felt like you were there.
I remember visiting Universal Studios, California in 1983 and the big
hi-light was the 'JAWS' exhibit where the shark comes up alongside your
little tram car.

JohnH February 13th 06 04:34 PM

Jaws author died

holy ****!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Billgran February 13th 06 05:41 PM

Jaws author died

"Gotta get a bigger boat".

Best. Movie. Line. Ever.

You mean it is a better line than, "What we got heah is .......fail-yah
................... to communicate!" ?

RCE February 13th 06 05:48 PM

Jaws author died

"Don White" wrote in message

I remember visiting Universal Studios, California in 1983 and the big
hi-light was the 'JAWS' exhibit where the shark comes up alongside your
little tram car.

But the best is "Spiderman" at Universal in Florida. Awesome.

RCE