BoatBanter.com

-   -   Jaws author died (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/66508-jaws-author-died.html)

Billgran February 13th 06 02:01 AM

Jaws author died

Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

Tom February 13th 06 07:35 AM

Jaws author died

"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the movie.
When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing line, I
left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that has
visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that movie or I
wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I know! Illinois
has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Tom G.

JohnH February 13th 06 12:43 PM

Jaws author died

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:35:33 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

"Billgran" wrote in message
Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the movie.
When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing line, I
left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that has
visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that movie or I
wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I know! Illinois
has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Tom G.

I'd like to go to a municipal swimming pool on a hot summer day and play
the 'Jaws' theme over the loudspeakers, just to see what would happen.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Bill Kearney February 13th 06 02:39 PM

Jaws author died

I'd like to go to a municipal swimming pool on a hot summer day and play
the 'Jaws' theme over the loudspeakers, just to see what would happen.

About as funny as when we took a pair of boomboxes on opposites sides of a
river and played Dueling Banjos when a canoe came along. Damn near had a
coronary laughing when the guys in the canoe started paddling LIKE CRAZY to
get outta there.

As for Benchley, now he sleeps wid' da fishes.

thunder February 13th 06 03:45 PM

Jaws author died

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:35:33 +0000, Tom wrote:

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the
movie. When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing
line, I left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that
has visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that
movie or I wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I
know! Illinois has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Then you don't want to look at this:

http://www.cherryflava.com/photos/un...ed/shark01.jpg

Doug Kanter February 13th 06 03:47 PM

Jaws author died

"Tom" wrote in message

"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the
movie. When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing
line, I left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that
has visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that
movie or I wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I
know! Illinois has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Tom G.

Last summer, the NY DEC captured a 4 foot long gator in the Cohocton River,
about an hour south of Rochester. They said it was big enough to be
"troublesome". Troublesome. Right. I was wading in that river with a fishing
pole a week before the story hit the news. They said the owner didn't
realize his two crocs would get so big, so he let them go. They didn't find
#2, but said it would not survive the winter. Probably.

Don White February 13th 06 04:00 PM

Jaws author died

Tom wrote:
"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..

Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the movie.
When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing line, I
left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that has
visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that movie or I
wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I know! Illinois
has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Tom G.

The first year it was released (late 70s?) a lot of people were afraid
of the water. Watch the movie...you'll get over it in a year or so.
That was a real classic...beautiful photography.. felt like you were there.
I remember visiting Universal Studios, California in 1983 and the big
hi-light was the 'JAWS' exhibit where the shark comes up alongside your
little tram car.

JohnH February 13th 06 04:34 PM

Jaws author died

holy ****!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Billgran February 13th 06 05:41 PM

Jaws author died

"Gotta get a bigger boat".

Best. Movie. Line. Ever.

You mean it is a better line than, "What we got heah is .......fail-yah
................... to communicate!" ?

RCE February 13th 06 05:48 PM

Jaws author died

"Don White" wrote in message

I remember visiting Universal Studios, California in 1983 and the big
hi-light was the 'JAWS' exhibit where the shark comes up alongside your
little tram car.

But the best is "Spiderman" at Universal in Florida. Awesome.

RCE

RCE February 13th 06 05:49 PM

Jaws author died

"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..

"Gotta get a bigger boat".

Best. Movie. Line. Ever.

You mean it is a better line than, "What we got heah is .......fail-yah
.................. to communicate!" ?

Or, "You can't handle the truth!"

RCE

Calif Bill February 13th 06 08:21 PM

Jaws author died

wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:35:33 +0000, Tom wrote:

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the
movie. When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my
fishing
line, I left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river
that
has visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that
movie or I wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I
know! Illinois has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Then you don't want to look at this:

http://www.cherryflava.com/photos/un...ed/shark01.jpg

holy ****!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Actually it is a dolphin. They like to surf also. One of the great beach
shots is of 7 dolphins riding the same wave at Santa Barbara.

Calif Bill February 13th 06 08:23 PM

Jaws author died

wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:35:33 +0000, Tom wrote:

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the
movie. When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my
fishing
line, I left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river
that
has visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that
movie or I wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I
know! Illinois has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

Then you don't want to look at this:

http://www.cherryflava.com/photos/un...ed/shark01.jpg

holy ****!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Check out this link
http://www.surfing-waves.com/waves/dolphin_surf.htm

Calif Bill February 13th 06 08:24 PM

Jaws author died

"Don White" wrote in message
Tom wrote:
"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

My youngest daughter was about 9 when we went there. She was under the seat
a couple of milliseconds after the shark surfaced.

Calif Bill February 13th 06 08:25 PM

Jaws author died

"RCE" wrote in message

"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..

"Gotta get a bigger boat".

Best. Movie. Line. Ever.

You mean it is a better line than, "What we got heah is .......fail-yah
.................. to communicate!" ?

Or, "You can't handle the truth!"

RCE

Or, "I am gonna find a women who can suck the crome off a trailer hitch".
Only great thing to come out of that movie.

Billgran February 13th 06 08:55 PM

Jaws author died

Or, "I am gonna find a women who can suck the crome off a trailer hitch".
Only great thing to come out of that movie.

You win!!! I forgot about that line, Electric Horseman, right? I think
that was Willie Nelson's line when talking about finding a willing Keno
girl.

JimH February 13th 06 09:40 PM

Jaws author died

"RCE" wrote in message

"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..

"Gotta get a bigger boat".

Best. Movie. Line. Ever.

You mean it is a better line than, "What we got heah is .......fail-yah
.................. to communicate!" ?

Or, "You can't handle the truth!"

RCE

Top 100 movie lines: http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx

Top 10 from that site:

1 Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. GONE WITH THE WIND

2 I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse. THE GODFATHER

3 You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I
could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. ON THE
WATERFRONT

4 Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. THE WIZARD OF OZ

5 Here's looking at you, kid. CASABLANCA

6 Go ahead, make my day. SUDDEN IMPACT

7 All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up. SUNSET BLVD.

8 May the Force be with you. STAR WARS

9 Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night. ALL ABOUT EVE

10 You talking to me? TAXI DRIVER

Dan Krueger February 14th 06 12:28 AM

Jaws author died

Billgran wrote:

Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

Often misquoted:

Brody: "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."

Dan

Source http://www.imdb.com

Garth Almgren February 14th 06 01:33 AM

Jaws author died

Around 2/12/2006 11:35 PM, Tom wrote:

"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Benchley, whose book "Jaws" scared a whole generation from swimming
after dark, died today.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Best line in the movie "We need a bigger boat!"

I got as far as the first girl the shark gets at the beginning of the movie.
When she started bobbing up and down like the bobber on my fishing line, I
left the room and have never seen any more. I live on a river that has
visibility of about 4" under water. I wasn't going to watch that movie or I
wouldn't have ever gotten in the water, again, even though I know! Illinois
has no sharks. Can't stand snakes in movies either.

[Doorbell rings]

Pizza delivery.

Plumber.

Candygram.

I'm only a dolphin, sir.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing

akheel February 14th 06 05:58 AM

Jaws author died

"Billgran" wrote in
:

"Gotta get a bigger boat".

Best. Movie. Line. Ever.

You mean it is a better line than, "What we got heah is
.......fail-yah .................. to communicate!" ?

Common, everyone knows it's "I love the smell of napalm in the
morning..." Not only that, it's boating related!!

DSK February 14th 06 01:47 PM

Jaws author died

akheel wrote:
Common, everyone knows it's "I love the smell of napalm in the
morning..." Not only that, it's boating related!!

More surfing related than boat, but it is a great line.
There was a racing boat named that, with flaming letters
along the side of the hull.

DSK

Don White February 14th 06 02:43 PM

Jaws author died

akheel wrote:
"Billgran" wrote in
:

. ..

"Gotta get a bigger boat".

Best. Movie. Line. Ever.

You mean it is a better line than, "What we got heah is
.......fail-yah .................. to communicate!" ?

Common, everyone knows it's "I love the smell of napalm in the
morning..." Not only that, it's boating related!!

At that point they were still flying around in helicopters.
A bit later they flew in the river gunboat.

akheel February 15th 06 03:45 AM

Jaws author died

Don White wrote in news:y0mIf.29819$VV4.300622
@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

akheel wrote:
"Billgran" wrote in
:

"Gotta get a bigger boat".

Best. Movie. Line. Ever.

You mean it is a better line than, "What we got heah is
.......fail-yah .................. to communicate!" ?

Common, everyone knows it's "I love the smell of napalm in the
morning..." Not only that, it's boating related!!

At that point they were still flying around in helicopters.
A bit later they flew in the river gunboat.

But they were taking that beach and village so they could get the boat on
to the river. It was all for the boating!