Doug Kanter

Default the hummer h3...

commercial was pretty good.

It has to be, in order to sell that thing to complete idiots.

Calif Bill

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

commercial was pretty good.

It has to be, in order to sell that thing to complete idiots.

I like the look of the H3. Did not see the ad, was working on cleaning the
boat and the camper from the last 2 days of boating. Looks a lot like a new
jeep, but probably has a longer lifespan.

Doug Kanter

"Mys Terry" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:44:21 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

commercial was pretty good.

It has to be, in order to sell that thing to complete idiots.

I like the look of the H3. Did not see the ad, was working on cleaning
the
boat and the camper from the last 2 days of boating. Looks a lot like a
new
jeep, but probably has a longer lifespan.

The H2 and H3 are not real Hummers. They are "cosmetically accessorized"
Chevys.
Lasting longer than a Jeep is damning by faint praise.

:-) Sort of like lasting longer than a popsicle in the sun on a hot day?

Don White

Harry Krause wrote:

wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

commercial was pretty good.

It has to be, in order to sell that thing to complete idiots.

I like the look of the H3. Did not see the ad, was working on
cleaning the
boat and the camper from the last 2 days of boating. Looks a lot
like a new
jeep, but probably has a longer lifespan.

The H2 and H3 are not real Hummers. They are "cosmetically
accessorized" Chevys.
Lasting longer than a Jeep is damning by faint praise.

:-) Sort of like lasting longer than a popsicle in the sun on a hot day?

In the good old days, and I am creaky enough to remember some of them,
my dad used a Jeep to deliver the lighter boats from his dealership all
over Connecticut. These were postwar Jeeps, four cylinder engines, not a
lot of horsepower, but great four wheel drive and lotsa torque. No
problems driving through beach sand right down to the water. And when
someone broke, it was easy enough to fix.

The heaters in the damned things always sucked, though. But the Jeeps
were tough and took a hell of a beating, especially when I started
learning to drive one in about 1955 in the back of the boatyard. Hard as
I tried, I could not destroy the clutch. I was about 11 years old and to
actually drive a vehicle, albeit on private property, was a great thrill.

For years I wanted one of the 'surplus' army jeeps.
Certain people always seemed to get them and resell for a high price.
You hear rumors of brand new models being destroyed/scuttled at sea near
WW2 end. Not sure if this was true or just an urban legend.
Calif Bill

"Don White" wrote in message
news
Harry Krause wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It was easy to get them. Just pull up and hook up the tow bar to the hitch
and drive off. What happened to our 43 Willy jeep. Was the best one made.
Only year they did a full floater rear axle.

RCE

"Don White" wrote in message
news
Harry Krause wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There is a guy a couple of towns over from me that has quite a collection of
WWII
jeeps, trucks, power wagons, etc. Even has one of the ambulance trucks used
in M.A.S.H. Occasionally he has one for sale. They are all done in
original camouflage paint schemes with whip antennas, etc.

RCE

RCE

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

There were several manufacturers of "jeeps" during WW II. The few
"surplus" ones I recall were pretty beat up if they were "returning war
veterans," but the military did dispose of a lot of property after that
war and after the Korean War that never left the states. Some of that
stuff was in decent shape and interesting.

The original "Jeep" was conceived, designed and built in seven weeks by The
Bantam Car Company. The Army handed tthe design over to Ford and Willys
because The Bantam Car Company was too small to meet the Army requirements.
Willys and Ford made improvements to the design and mass manufactured them.
The Bantam Car Company got a small consolation contract to build trailers to
be towed behind the Jeep.

RCE

Calif Bill

"RCE" wrote in message
news

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

There were several manufacturers of "jeeps" during WW II. The few
"surplus" ones I recall were pretty beat up if they were "returning war
veterans," but the military did dispose of a lot of property after that
war and after the Korean War that never left the states. Some of that
stuff was in decent shape and interesting.

The original "Jeep" was conceived, designed and built in seven weeks by
The Bantam Car Company. The Army handed tthe design over to Ford and
Willys because The Bantam Car Company was too small to meet the Army
requirements. Willys and Ford made improvements to the design and mass
manufactured them. The Bantam Car Company got a small consolation contract
to build trailers to be towed behind the Jeep.

RCE

And the name Jeep, came from the designation General Purpose vehicle. GP.