Calif Bill

Default the hummer h3...

"Don White" wrote in message
news
Harry Krause wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Mys Terry" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:44:21 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

commercial was pretty good.

It has to be, in order to sell that thing to complete idiots.

I like the look of the H3. Did not see the ad, was working on
cleaning the
boat and the camper from the last 2 days of boating. Looks a lot like
a new
jeep, but probably has a longer lifespan.

The H2 and H3 are not real Hummers. They are "cosmetically
accessorized" Chevys.
Lasting longer than a Jeep is damning by faint praise.

:-) Sort of like lasting longer than a popsicle in the sun on a hot
day?

In the good old days, and I am creaky enough to remember some of them, my
dad used a Jeep to deliver the lighter boats from his dealership all over
Connecticut. These were postwar Jeeps, four cylinder engines, not a lot
of horsepower, but great four wheel drive and lotsa torque. No problems
driving through beach sand right down to the water. And when someone
broke, it was easy enough to fix.

The heaters in the damned things always sucked, though. But the Jeeps
were tough and took a hell of a beating, especially when I started
learning to drive one in about 1955 in the back of the boatyard. Hard as
I tried, I could not destroy the clutch. I was about 11 years old and to
actually drive a vehicle, albeit on private property, was a great thrill.

For years I wanted one of the 'surplus' army jeeps.
Certain people always seemed to get them and resell for a high price.
You hear rumors of brand new models being destroyed/scuttled at sea near
WW2 end. Not sure if this was true or just an urban legend.

It was easy to get them. Just pull up and hook up the tow bar to the hitch
and drive off. What happened to our 43 Willy jeep. Was the best one made.
Only year they did a full floater rear axle.