Default For my upcoming trip...

You sure thats enough?

RCE

wrote in message
oups.com...
You sure thats enough?

Harry's a lousy shot and misses alot. Needs new glasses.

RCE

RCE

my youngest boy is training in south carolina for the state police and
they were issues their service weapons this past week - glock 22s with
the 17 round system - one in the chamber, 16 in the clip.

he was telling me he couldn't believe how quickly he could empty a
clip at a target.

Question for you. If someone who never owned a handgun was interested in
getting one (and attending the required prerequisite course) which of the
two following handguns would you recommend to simply have as a last resort
means of personal family protection?

Glock or ...
1911 (new)

RCE

RCE

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
RCE wrote:
my youngest boy is training in south carolina for the state police and
they were issues their service weapons this past week - glock 22s with
the 17 round system - one in the chamber, 16 in the clip.

he was telling me he couldn't believe how quickly he could empty a
clip at a target.

Question for you. If someone who never owned a handgun was interested in
getting one (and attending the required prerequisite course) which of
the two following handguns would you recommend to simply have as a last
resort means of personal family protection?

Glock or ...
1911 (new)

RCE

Glock is a brand name, while "1911" is more of a style.
For the money, you cannot beat a Glock.
They're simple, they're easy to clean, they're accurate,
and they rarely have a problem firing.

A good 1911 is a more complex piece, but also worthy. It is a "heavier"
gun in every way, though.

A 9 mm Glock will be light enough in recoil for a woman to use, yet deadly
enough with practice to stop anyone. Plus, the ammo with which you
practice is dirt cheap. The 9mm practice ammo I use is about $5.50 for 50
rounds. Glock also makes handguns in "heaver" calibers, including .45.

The Glock, though, has no built-in safety in the traditional sense. If a
round is chambered and you pull the trigger, it will fire. Period. A 1911
has the traditional "safety."

You should keep your finger off the trigger until it is safe to fire and
you are ready to fire.

A new Glock will run you between $500 and $600 or so. A decent quality
1911 will run between $800 and a grand.

Thanks. The 1911 I was looking at is manufactured by Colt, I believe.

RCE

JohnH

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:34:47 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

.. .

my youngest boy is training in south carolina for the state police and
they were issues their service weapons this past week - glock 22s with
the 17 round system - one in the chamber, 16 in the clip.

he was telling me he couldn't believe how quickly he could empty a
clip at a target.

Question for you. If someone who never owned a handgun was interested in
getting one (and attending the required prerequisite course) which of the
two following handguns would you recommend to simply have as a last resort
means of personal family protection?

Glock or ...
1911 (new)

RCE

I'd go with the Glock. Lighter and easier to shoot well. Of course, I've
only had experience with well used 1911's.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

If you're going to become a competitive shooter, the 1911's are worth
looking atr. If you're goping to be a plinker and want a defensive
weapon, get the Glock. It's absolutely reliable, carries a high
capacity magazine and is cheap (relatively speaking). Get it in 9mm
because, as Harry says, the ammo is cheap. And you may be able to get
one used as a police trade-in. If you're keeping it at home as a
defensive weapon, buy the frangible rounds. They're designed to break
up on impact. They'll probably kill anyone you hit, but they won't go
through the drywall and kill someone you didn't intend to shoot. And
get the lessons. They'll help you to stay safe and keep everyone
around you safe. And you'll learn how to hit what you're aiming at.

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you're going to become a competitive shooter, the 1911's are worth
looking atr. If you're goping to be a plinker and want a defensive
weapon, get the Glock. It's absolutely reliable, carries a high
capacity magazine and is cheap (relatively speaking). Get it in 9mm
because, as Harry says, the ammo is cheap. And you may be able to get
one used as a police trade-in. If you're keeping it at home as a
defensive weapon, buy the frangible rounds. They're designed to break
up on impact. They'll probably kill anyone you hit, but they won't go
through the drywall and kill someone you didn't intend to shoot. And
get the lessons. They'll help you to stay safe and keep everyone
around you safe. And you'll learn how to hit what you're aiming at.

I believe it's Sig that's offering factory refurbished 9mm guns at nice
prices (through dealers, of course). If I recall, the company's taking these
back in trade from police departments that are switching from 9mm to .40 or
..45.

Bert Robbins

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
If you're going to become a competitive shooter, the 1911's are worth
looking atr. If you're goping to be a plinker and want a defensive
weapon, get the Glock. It's absolutely reliable, carries a high
capacity magazine and is cheap (relatively speaking). Get it in 9mm
because, as Harry says, the ammo is cheap. And you may be able to get
one used as a police trade-in. If you're keeping it at home as a
defensive weapon, buy the frangible rounds. They're designed to break
up on impact. They'll probably kill anyone you hit, but they won't go
through the drywall and kill someone you didn't intend to shoot. And
get the lessons. They'll help you to stay safe and keep everyone
around you safe. And you'll learn how to hit what you're aiming at.

Indeed. And once again, if you get a Glock, remember that if there is a
round in the spout and you pull the trigger, the pistol is going to fire.
There is NO external safety. So, you always keep your finger OUT of the
trigger guard area until you are about to shoot. Period. I've seen one or
two guys on the outdoor range walking around with their fingers in the
guard, and even though their pistol is aimed at the ground, I always call
for the range officer. You're just as dead if you're hit by an AD.

Anyone that was trained to shoot in the military, or by former military
persons, knows that you only put your finger on the trigger when you are
actually going to shoot!

When I'm at the range, I keep the pistol empty (no mag) and the slide open
until I get to my setup. Then I close the pistol, slip in a magazine and
cycle the slide. At that point and only at that point is the pistol loaded
and ready to fire. If I hand someone a semi-auto, I drop out the mag, pull
back and lock the slide to empty any chambered round and look inside to
make sure there are no rounds in there, release the slide, point the
pistol at the ground, pull the trigger just to be sure, and THEN I hand
them the weapon.

The range I go to inspects your weapons when you arrive to insure that they
are unloaded and that there are trigger locks. If you have not properly
transported your weapon you are asked to leave.

I wouldn't keep a loaded pistol in my house. I do, however, have a loaded
shotgun hidden but handy on each level.

Loaded weapons of any kind in your house are not a good idea.

Dan Krueger

Harry Krause wrote:

I wouldn't keep a loaded pistol in my house. I do, however, have a
loaded shotgun hidden but handy on each level.

What's the difference? Four loaded, and hidden, shotguns in your
four-story house but a loaded handgun where you don't have to "unhide"
it is bad?

If you have a loaded gun in your house you should have it readily
accessible and be prepared to use it. Stashing one behind the
refrigerator doesn't make sense.

Dan

Trip Report - Assateague Prospecting [email protected] General 6 January 23rd 06 12:16 PM
White River trip, May 26-29 Dave Allured Touring 1 December 31st 05 08:39 PM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM