posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.boats,rec.boats.paddle,sci.military.naval
Garrison Hilliard

Default And it really flies when paddled

Daring launch good news for Clyde

By Hayley Millar
BBC Scotland business correspondent

HMS Daring is the biggest warship ever to launch at the Scotstoun shipyard in
Glasgow.

Every new ship is named by a Lady Sponsor and HMS Daring had a Royal launch,
with Her Royal Highness the Countess of Wessex as her sponsor.

The Type 45s will replace the Navy's aging fleet of Type 42 destroyers, such as
HMS Glasgow.

On the outside, first-of-class Daring is significantly bigger, but it is inside
where the real differences lie.

Lt Cdr Dean Woodruff RN, who has been overseeing Daring's progress, said she was
something special for the Royal Navy.

He said: "When she comes into service in 2009, we're going to have the most
advanced warship in the world.

"The combat system is the cutting edge of technology and we've gone to a full
electric propulsion system."

HMS Daring will have more firepower than the combined fleet of Type 42
destroyers.

Her main weapon, the Principal Anti-Air Missile System (PAAMS), will monitor the
airspace for hundreds of miles around the fleet she is protecting.

For those serving on HMS Daring, life at sea should be much more advanced too.

Modern accommodation

More space has been allocated for recreational areas including the first purpose
built fitness centre.

The old-style messes accommodating 30 or 40 men have been replaced by cabins
which sleep six.

Each berth will have its own internet connection.

Lt Cdr Woodruff said it was a distinct step forward for the Royal Navy.

"We've certainly caught up with the electronic age," he said.

"Nowadays the crew can write home on their laptops and it can be with their
loved ones within hours rather than days, which is what I was used to when I
first joined up."

All ranks were asked what they would like on board Daring and 95% of their ideas
have been incorporated.

"When I've been hosting fleet visits up here, they always tell me that they want
to serve on this ship," Lt Cdr Woodruff added.

D-class fleet

"She should definitely help us recruit in the future."

Daring is the first of the Royal Navy's D-class of ships.

So far six ships have been ordered by the Ministry of Defence.

Dauntless and Diamond are currently being built across the Clyde at BAE's Govan
yard.

Along with Dragon, Defender and Duncan, the others will launch from Govan.

This 'production line' approach has led to improved efficiency in the Type 45
programme.

Andy Hamilton, BAE System's shipbuilding director at Govan is overseeing
Daring's sister ships at the yard.

He admitted that as each ship was built, efficiencies improved.

Mr Hamilton said: "Today we drive for efficiency, so we need to ensure we're
doing the work in the most cost effective manner."

Record investment

HMS Dauntless and Diamond are being fitted out to a much higher level than any
previous class of ship.

Mr Hamilton said that, a year before her launch date, Dauntless was fitted out
to a level normally not expected until two years after launch.

This expertise will prepare BAE Systems for its involvement in the Navy's new
aircraft carriers, part of which will be built on the Clyde.

Record number of apprentices and record levels of investment in the yards signal
the healthiest future Clyde shipbuilding has seen for some time.

TYPE-45 DESTROYER - THE NAVY'S NEWEST WARSHIP
1 Flight deck to take Lynx or Merlin combat helicopter
2 Navigation radar
3 Long-range radar monitors air and surface threats
4 Communications mast
5 Small-calibre gun
6 Multi-function radar can guide ship's missiles and detect enemy ones
7 Gunfire control system
8 Vertical-launching system for short- and long-range missiles
9 Medium-calibre main gun
10 Bow sonar (under keel)

TYPE-45 FACTS AND FIGURES
Length - 152.4m
Beam - 21.2m (max)
Displacement - 7,350 tonnes
Range - 7,000 nautical miles
Max speed - 27 knots
Complement - 190 (max 235)

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4666906.stm

Published: 2006/02/01 16:04:40 GMT

posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.boats,rec.boats.paddle,sci.military.naval
RCE

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message
[...]

Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have names
that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

"D" class:

Daring
Dauntless
Diamond
Dragon
Defender
Duncan

RCE

posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.boats,rec.boats.paddle,sci.military.naval
Don White

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
Daring launch good news for Clyde

By Hayley Millar
BBC Scotland business correspondent

HMS Daring is the biggest warship ever to launch at the Scotstoun shipyard in
Glasgow.

snip...

That's quite a ship. The superstructure reminds me of the 'All Seeing
Eye' that the Freemasons like.
posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.boats,rec.boats.paddle,sci.military.naval
Jeff

Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have names
that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

Well yes and no, in the past some Classes have all started with the same
letter, especially submarines, but it is more common to have a 'theme' for
the names: eg County Class - names of counties, Leander Class - Classical
Greek heroes Battle Class - famous battles etc.

The 'Old' Daring class ships did all start with the same letter.

Regards
Jeff

posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.boats,rec.boats.paddle,sci.military.naval

Re The names
It seams to hold about true. Sometimes the class is the first part of
the name.
Like ( and don't laugh to loud.) The Gay Class had the Gay Fencer and
the Gay Forrester amongst about 10 fast patrol boats. They were powered
by 2 huge gasoline ( Petrol ) engines.
The Dark Class had a bunch of names starting with dark like the Dark
Horseman, Dark Agressor Dark Antagonist.
Some of them wee built in the Clyde too.
I am delighted to hear the Clyde Ship Yards are doing well.
Alex McGruer

posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.boats,rec.boats.paddle,sci.military.naval

Oh : Kayaking forum!!!.
There is the kayaking link.
McGruer and Company thet built the Gay Fencer and Gay Forrester, as
well as working on the Dark Horseman were also building fine folding
kayaks for the Special Boat Service.
I don't know how they faired in their environment of crashing waves,
rocks , fast motor boats, bullets, bomds flairs, mines and all forms of
nasties from the non kayaking axis class that hated people picking at
their war ships
Next time we will buy Prijon; just to conform with the locals.
As our boats were black, they were not likely recreational.

posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.boats,rec.boats.paddle,sci.military.naval
Jeff

wrote in message
ups.com...
Re The names
It seams to hold about true. Sometimes the class is the first part of
the name.
Like ( and don't laugh to loud.) The Gay Class had the Gay Fencer and
the Gay Forrester amongst about 10 fast patrol boats. They were powered
by 2 huge gasoline ( Petrol ) engines.

Actually three V12 Packard engines, each with 1,500 horsepower

The Dark Class had a bunch of names starting with dark like the Dark
Horseman, Dark Agressor Dark Antagonist.
Some of them wee built in the Clyde too.
I am delighted to hear the Clyde Ship Yards are doing well.
Alex McGruer

Dark Class were diesel with 2 shaft Napier Deltic 16 cylinder diesels

Regards
Jeff

posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.boats,rec.boats.paddle,sci.military.naval
Ken Duffey

Jeff wrote:
Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have names
that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

Well yes and no, in the past some Classes have all started with the same
letter, especially submarines, but it is more common to have a 'theme' for
the names: eg County Class - names of counties, Leander Class - Classical
Greek heroes Battle Class - famous battles etc.

The 'Old' Daring class ships did all start with the same letter.

Regards
Jeff

OK - here's a quiz question for you......

Which Leander Class Frigate was NOT named after a Classical Greek hero
.... ?? - the exception to the rule....

Same question about exceptions goes to the USS 'City of Corpus Christi'
Los Angeles class SSN ?? What is unusual about that name ??

Ken

"Ken Duffey" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have
names that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

Well yes and no, in the past some Classes have all started with the same
letter, especially submarines, but it is more common to have a 'theme'
for the names: eg County Class - names of counties, Leander Class -
Classical Greek heroes Battle Class - famous battles etc.

The 'Old' Daring class ships did all start with the same letter.

Regards
Jeff

OK - here's a quiz question for you......

Which Leander Class Frigate was NOT named after a Classical Greek hero ...
?? - the exception to the rule....

Cleopatra

Same question about exceptions goes to the USS 'City of Corpus Christi'
Los Angeles class SSN ?? What is unusual about that name ??

2nd ship to be named after the Texas seaport?

Ken

RCE

"
OK - here's a quiz question for you......

Which Leander Class Frigate was NOT named after a Classical Greek hero ...
?? - the exception to the rule....

Cleopatra.... I guess they ran out of popular Greek heroes

Regards
Jeff