JimH

Default OT A computer virus heads up

==========================
The clock is ticking on a dangerous computer virus programmed to delete
millions of Word files stored on PCs when it reaches the end of its
countdown on Friday.

Experts have warned that the Blackworm virus, which has also been named
Blackmal, Nyxem, MyWife and Tearec, could destroy vast amounts of
information when it is triggered, and could send unprotected businesses into
chaos. The malicious software strikes against machines powered by
Microsoft's near-ubiquitous Windows software.

According to SANS, the US-based internet security organisation, by January
26 around 300,000 computer systems, made up of potentially millions of
individual PCs, had already been infected by the virus. The organisation
said: "This worm is different and more serious than other worms for a number
of reasons. In particular, it will overwrite a user's files on February 3."

The list of file-types that the virus will hit and delete includes the most
commonly-used formats, including Word, Powerpoint and Excel documents.
===================================

More at http://tinyurl.com/at299

Don White

JimH wrote:
==========================
[...]

Looks like the anti-virus people need more cash.
JimH

"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
==========================
[...]

I use Avast. It is free and updates the virus definitions daily
automatically.

AVG is also a very good antivirus program........also free.

No need to purchase an antivirus program these days.

Doug Kanter

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
==========================
[...]

What is your backup strategy?

Reggie Smithers

JimH wrote:
==========================
[...]

Here is a removal tool. Since the worm "turns off" your antivirus
software, it makes sense for everyone to run a specific removal tool.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Reggie Smithers wrote:
JimH wrote:
==========================
[...]

Reggie, from what I understand, if your Norton or other popular
software is up to date, it will catch it before it turns off your
anitvirus software.

Reggie Smithers

wrote:
Reggie Smithers wrote:
JimH wrote:
==========================
[...]

Bassy,
If you were infected before your antivirus included blackmal in it's
database you could still be infected. Since no one will know until 2/3
it is a simply strategy to run the removal tool.

My wife's office was infected with a spyware worm that turned off
Norton, and you had to go in and manual deleted the start up line and
the reinstall file to get rid of the worm. The Spyware Worm would
overload your computer with so much spyware that it would slow down to a
crawl then finally freeze up. When they ran Ad-Aware there was over
3000 processes running. None of the antispyware packages were able to
removal the worm. The hardest part is the start up line was a random
generated file name, and the file it used to generated the file used a
legitimate file name installed as part of windows.

As a courtesy, they spyware worm offered to sell you a spyware package
to remove the worm.

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
Reggie Smithers wrote:
JimH wrote:
==========================
[...]

Then, it's your fault for not noticing that your AV software isn't working.
No matter what anyone tells you, it's not "set it and forget it". You need
to consciously focus on it once a week or so. Or daily, if your computer is
used to earn money.

Reggie Smithers

Reggie Smithers wrote:
JimH wrote:
==========================
[...]

Doug,
I am lucky, I have never been infected with a virus or a worm, but I do
try to use a highly rated software package.

When the worm deactivated the antivirus, it still appears to be working.
The way to tell if your software is actually working is to run a eicar
test I would guess very few people run a eicar test on a regular basis.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

thunder

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:14:01 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

Then, it's your fault for not noticing that your AV software isn't
working.

Uh, what's AV software? Must be a Windows thing.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;-)