N.L. Eckert

Default Time to retire the name.

Eisboch wrote:
I've been using the "handle" "Eisboch" since my early days on the net
back in 1989 or '90. I had a super modern 286 computer, 13mhz clock
speed and a huge hard drive with 20 mbytes of storage space. It ran on
DOS with a pre-MSWindows software suite called "GeoWorks". GeoWorks
actually had a windows type format and even included a word processing
program called "GeoWrite". I signed onto an internet access through
Prodigy and was heavily involved in some of the midi sequencing groups
and "chat" rooms. You had to have a screen name, so I became "Eisboch"
because I happened to be drinking a Coors Eisboch blend that night.
Anyway, it's time to retire the handle. Mrs.E thinks it's stupid, and I
am getting kind of tired of it anyway.
From now on I shall be known as ......
"Sam Adams"
Just kidding.
RCE
==================================
I object!! I know we don't pass a lot of traffic, but when I see a
posting with "Eisboch", I usually read it because I know its generally
On Topic and congenial.

Happy boating, Norm

JIMinFL

I thought it was called ARPANET.
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:54:33 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:58:57 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

Just *how* old are you, anyway? Methinks maybe you were Al Gore's
mentor.
You did it, he just took credit for the invention.

I think he just got on the internet before we did.

back when it wasnt called the internet, b ut was called the ctpc
network which was the most sophisticated system of that era.

why i remember when..... :)

RCE

"DSK" wrote in message

I used to host a bulletin board/chat room on Prodigy for midi
enthusiasts. For that, I received free Prodigy access. (still have the ID
number taped to the old Yamaha keyboard).
We used to composes songs by passing the files around to different
participants and each would add a track to the composition. Great fun,
but slow. Some of the music was very good by the time it was done and
edited.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
you wouldnt want to share a few of those files would you?

I was just about to say the same thing.

DSK

I am afraid all those early files are gone, lost or living in cyber heaven.
However, I *do* have a "Best of Eisboch, Vol 2" CD, available for $19.95,
usually shipped overnight ...

Just kidding .. I do have the album - consists of midis sequenced by me,
converted to .wav files and burned to a CD. Even has a cool looking album
cover with pictures of the gear used. Used to be a Vol 1 also, but it's
become of the missing.

BTW- before anyone thinks I am a talented musician or something - I am not.
I did have some music training, strum a guitar, toot a sax and semi-play
piano and keyboard, but a musician I am not. Midi sequencing is more of a
musical word processing activity. I usually record several tracks at a time
then spend hours or days editing each track, correcting, deleting and adding
until it sounds decent. The early sound modules used in computers and
keyboards were horrible but some of the newer stuff really sounds good using
digital sampling of actual instruments to develop the midi voices.

RCE

RCE

its an area that really interest me - in particular now where i really
cant play my guitars all that well anymore.

It's a great hobby and good way to pass the cold, winter months.
I go through phases. I won't touch the stuff for 6 months, then get back
into it and often stay up all night sequencing and editing a composition or
retake of an existing song.

There are several decent sequencing programs out there - Cakewalk is
probably the best, IMO. I still use a 12-14 year old version of Cakewalk
3.0 with a Yamaha PSR-640 keyboard. The Yamaha has a built-in disk drive
and has the extended XG voices.

We also have a conventional baby grand piano on which the dealer installed a
QSR player. It's a contraption mounted under the sounding board with
solenoids that operate the piano hammers. It plays midi files (1 or 2 track
piano only) as well as proprietary QSR CDs. I often download classical
piano files from the net and play them on the piano system. Works amazingly
well and the little ones get a kick out of seeing the keys moving. Modern
day player piano.

Many people don't realize that when they are listening to a live band at a
nightclub or other venue that very often all of the sets are backed by midi.
A playlist is developed for the gig and usually the keyboard player operates
the midi equipment. Makes a 3 piece band sound like a symphony orchestra.

RCE

Wayne.B

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:37:05 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

i think back to the days of tty and my dads old tty machine in the
basement radio shack - brings back some memories ill tell you what.
damn thing was a big as a freakin' house.

There was a unique aroma to them also, probably related to the
lubricant used on them. They were certainly a marvel of
electromechanical complexity.

RCE

wrote:

i think back to the days of tty and my dads old tty machine in the
basement radio shack - brings back some memories ill tell you what.
damn thing was a big as a freakin' house.

There was a unique aroma to them also, probably related to the
lubricant used on them. They were certainly a marvel of
electromechanical complexity.

I attended the Mod 28 Teletype repair school in the Navy. After learning
theory, etc., the final test was to completely - and I mean completely
disassemble one, the instructor then inspected to make sure it was all
apart - cams, everything. We then had to put it all back together, adjust
all the timing cams and put it on line to prove that it still worked.
I still have my "Doctor of Teletype Technology" card that they awarded at
graduation.

RCE

Calif Bill

wrote:

i think back to the days of tty and my dads old tty machine in the
basement radio shack - brings back some memories ill tell you what.
damn thing was a big as a freakin' house.

There was a unique aroma to them also, probably related to the
lubricant used on them. They were certainly a marvel of
electromechanical complexity.

the odd thing was my dad could keep the thing running and he had about
zero mechanical aptitude.

when it was running, man, the racket it made - it was a very cool
machine though.

But which KSR? coolest moment with teletypes was I worked in Western
Electric warehouse right after high school. Watched a KSR35 fall off the
pallet. Unfortunately the pallet was on a forklift truck at maximum
extension. About 35'. Parts everywhere.

Calif Bill

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
k.net...

"Bryan" wrote in message
news

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"RCE" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
news
"Eisboch" wrote in message
I've been using the "handle" "Eisboch" since my early days on the
net back in 1989 or '90. I had a super modern 286 computer, 13mhz
clock speed and a huge hard drive with 20 mbytes of storage space.
It ran on DOS with a pre-MSWindows software suite called "GeoWorks".
GeoWorks actually had a windows type format and even included a word
processing program called "GeoWrite". I signed onto an internet
access through Prodigy and was heavily involved in some of the midi
sequencing groups and "chat" rooms. You had to have a screen name,
so I became "Eisboch" because I happened to be drinking a Coors
Eisboch blend that night.

Anyway, it's time to retire the handle. Mrs.E thinks it's stupid,
and I am getting kind of tired of it anyway.

From now on I shall be known as ......

"Sam Adams"

Just kidding.

RCE

Nice to meet you, Mr. RCE.
You started with one of them fancy high-powered 286's of which I
could only dream! I started with the 8086 xt and a 20, yes 20, MB
HDD. I loved my DOS; I didn't understand why people needed all that
Mac and Windows nonsense. DOS: just tell your computer what to do
and it did it! Simple as that. Remember when the excitement of
opening a gif meant starting the process and coming back after dinner
to see if the gif had finished filling in all the pixels? I actually
started with an Apple (was it IIC?), encountered a mac in grad
school, and switched to the DOS world when I couldn't find a mac
program that could handle the graphical representation (believe it or
not) of my lab data. Boy that was a long time ago!

It is. My super fast "Pal" 286 even ran CADD 1, an early cad design
program. CADD was developed through version 6 as a DOS only program
then was bought out by Autodesk (Autocad). CADD was recently
re-introduced in a Windows version and I just downloaded a copy. It's
like old times.

The Pal had a normal clock speed of 8 mhz, but had a "turbo" button
that, when pushed, took it to a lightning fast 13 mhz.

RCE

I started out on the Internet with a DEC PDP. Probably an 11/05 but
maybe an 11/34. Still have a great spicy peanut noodle recipe printed
on dot matrix printer. When it was a text only world. Except for
ascii art.

I forgot all about dot matrix printers. I realized the other day that
my kids have no idea about the punch cards!

You want some. I still got a couple of thousand. We use them for note
cards by the phone. No holes in them.

Thanks, Bill. I think I'll pass on the generous offer. My wife is an RN
so our home is filled with pads of paper from pharmaceutical vendors.

Poor kids. No pity when they get sick. ;(
Son of an RN, who at 91 still has her license. Works 1 day a week at a rest
home.

How to get experience so that I can escape? henderob Cruising 23 February 7th 06 06:05 AM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM