RCE

Default Time to retire the name.

"Bryan" wrote in message
news

"Eisboch" wrote in message
I've been using the "handle" "Eisboch" since my early days on the net
back in 1989 or '90. I had a super modern 286 computer, 13mhz clock
speed and a huge hard drive with 20 mbytes of storage space. It ran on
DOS with a pre-MSWindows software suite called "GeoWorks". GeoWorks
actually had a windows type format and even included a word processing
program called "GeoWrite". I signed onto an internet access through
Prodigy and was heavily involved in some of the midi sequencing groups
and "chat" rooms. You had to have a screen name, so I became "Eisboch"
because I happened to be drinking a Coors Eisboch blend that night.

Anyway, it's time to retire the handle. Mrs.E thinks it's stupid, and I
am getting kind of tired of it anyway.

From now on I shall be known as ......

"Sam Adams"

Just kidding.

RCE

Nice to meet you, Mr. RCE.
You started with one of them fancy high-powered 286's of which I could
only dream! I started with the 8086 xt and a 20, yes 20, MB HDD. I loved
my DOS; I didn't understand why people needed all that Mac and Windows
nonsense. DOS: just tell your computer what to do and it did it! Simple
as that. Remember when the excitement of opening a gif meant starting the
process and coming back after dinner to see if the gif had finished
filling in all the pixels? I actually started with an Apple (was it
IIC?), encountered a mac in grad school, and switched to the DOS world
when I couldn't find a mac program that could handle the graphical
representation (believe it or not) of my lab data. Boy that was a long
time ago!

It is. My super fast "Pal" 286 even ran CADD 1, an early cad design
program. CADD was developed through version 6 as a DOS only program then was
bought out by Autodesk (Autocad). CADD was recently re-introduced in a
Windows version and I just downloaded a copy. It's like old times.

The Pal had a normal clock speed of 8 mhz, but had a "turbo" button that,
when pushed, took it to a lightning fast 13 mhz.

RCE

Reggie Smithers

RCE wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Unlikely. The former Eisboch keeps the bottoms of his trousers rolled.

Let us go then , you and I ,
while the ethernet is spread across the sky .
Like a patient etherised upon a table.
T1, ISDN - 56Megabits per second -
the slow yellow vapor of twisted duplex cable
that connect you from I and me and this.
Let's chat a while
about Marx - Karl or Groucho?

RCE

RCE,
Who the hell are you anyway?

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

RCE

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:32:21 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

i built an altair 8080 which, well wasn't the neatest thing on the
block, but it worked - i did some rudimentary switching with the
thing. then i went to work for small time mini-computer company and
had my run of minis until about '79 when i bought an apple ii. then
an apple iie. then a vic 20, commodore 64 and into the pc world from
there building my own until five years ago when it became a silly
quest to roll your own when you could buy for less than you could
build.

Had Commodore 64 for a while - replaced my first computer - A Texas
Instruments TI-1 or something like that. It didn't have a disk drive - had
16k of memory - and you saved your programs to a cheap Radio Shack reel to
reel tape recorder.

In our business, we built a fully automatic vapor deposition coating system
using a Tandy Trash 80. I still shutter when I think about it.

Eisb ..... ooops ...

RCE

Bryan

wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
I've been using the "handle" "Eisboch" since my early days on the net
back in 1989 or '90. I had a super modern 286 computer, 13mhz clock
speed
and a huge hard drive with 20 mbytes of storage space. It ran on DOS
with
a pre-MSWindows software suite called "GeoWorks". GeoWorks actually had
windows type format and even included a word processing program called
"GeoWrite". I signed onto an internet access through Prodigy and was
heavily involved in some of the midi sequencing groups and "chat" rooms.
You had to have a screen name, so I became "Eisboch" because I happened
to be drinking a Coors Eisboch blend that night.

Anyway, it's time to retire the handle. Mrs.E thinks it's stupid, and I
am getting kind of tired of it anyway.

From now on I shall be known as ......

[...]

oh crap, here we go.

i built an altair 8080 which, well wasn't the neatest thing on the
block, but it worked - i did some rudimentary switching with the
thing. then i went to work for small time mini-computer company and
had my run of minis until about '79 when i bought an apple ii. then
an apple iie. then a vic 20, commodore 64 and into the pc world from
there building my own until five years ago when it became a silly
quest to roll your own when you could buy for less than you could
build.

What an earful of familiar names. We've come a long way. Or have we?

RCE

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
. ..
RCE wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Unlikely. The former Eisboch keeps the bottoms of his trousers rolled.

Let us go then , you and I ,
while the ethernet is spread across the sky .
Like a patient etherised upon a table.
T1, ISDN - 56Megabits per second -
the slow yellow vapor of twisted duplex cable
that connect you from I and me and this.
Let's chat a while
about Marx - Karl or Groucho?

RCE

RCE,
Who the hell are you anyway?

--
Reggie

Just a figment of your cyber imagination, 'tis all ....

RCE

JohnH

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:03:58 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news

From now on, your new name is J. Alfred Prufrock.

I like it! I like it!

J. Alfred Prufrock. Sorta has a ring to it, ya' know?

Hmmmm..... Think old T.S. would be ****ed?

RCE

Is that pronounced AR'- see, or Ar-SEE' ?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Skipper

JohnH wrote:

RCE

Is that pronounced AR'- see, or Ar-SEE' ?

Arse, see...as in horses.

--
Skipper
Wayne.B

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:46:26 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

so I became "Eisboch" because I happened to
be drinking a Coors Eisboch blend that night.

I'll be darned, always thought it was a play on "ice box" for some
reason.

You certainly brought back a few memories with mention of Prodigy and
MIDI. IBM/Prodigy squandered almost as many opportunities as DEC did
with AltaVista. And then there is always Compuserve of course, who
thought they knew it all until they didn't.

I had a Compuserve account back in the early 80s when 300 baud was
high speed and acoustical couplers were high tech. :-)

What was the name of the network utility that you could use to connect
with Compuserve? That was my first inkling that some sort of
universal connectivity might someday be possible.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:38:57 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

you may now call me galactic overlord - his imperial highness teafran.

Uhhhhhh,

no.

RG

Had Commodore 64 for a while - replaced my first computer - A Texas
Instruments TI-1 or something like that. It didn't have a disk drive -
had 16k of memory - and you saved your programs to a cheap Radio Shack
reel to reel tape recorder.

Started with a VIC 20, then upgraded to a C-64 the day they hit town. Hot
stuff. But not nearly as hot as the next trade up to an Amiga. The Amiga
was way ahead of its time, but unfortunately was a Commodore product and
therefore doomed in the marketplace. Commodore, from a marketing
perspective, had the unfailing ability to screw up a one car funeral.
Finally switched to a 386 PC running Windows 3.0 in 1990 I think.

How to get experience so that I can escape? henderob Cruising 23 February 7th 06 06:05 AM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM