Default Bill to ban "teak surfing" introduced in WA State

This memo is being sent to WAMBE & RBAW members because of your
interest in boating safety. If you would like off this list, please
let me know.

Senator Pam Roach has sponsored Senate Bill 6364 to ban "teak surfing".
She was prompted by one of her constituent organizations, the East
Pierce County Fire and Rescue. This agency had dealt with two tragic
deaths on Lake Tapps due to teak surfing. For info on bill language go
to: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=6364

The hearing for this bill is on February 1st in Olympia. Unfortunately
it's at 8 AM, however Sen. Roach would like to have as many boaters as
possible show up to support this bill. RBAW supports this bill and
it's intent. There may be discussions to amend the bill for word
smithing purposes to clarify the term "teak surfing", but all for the
better. Clearly this is a bill all boating safety organizations should
have interest in and your participation at the hearing would be
welcomed by the bill's supporters.

RBAW plans to be there on the 1st. If anybody else can make it and
needs further information, directions, etc. please let me know. If you
want to testify PRO, you can say a few words why you or your
organization likes the bill. Otherwise, you can just sign in PRO "not
wanting to testify".

Thanks and let me know if any questions.
~David Kutz
RBAW President

Reggie Smithers

wrote:
[...]

Chuck,
I am concerned that the State of Washington is trying to override
Darwin's theories. One should not mess with Mother Nature.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

JohnH

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 06:53:26 -0500, Reggie Smithers

[...]

I'll bite. What the hell is 'teak surfing'?
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
DSK

Senator Pam Roach has sponsored Senate Bill 6364 to ban "teak surfing".
She was prompted by one of her constituent organizations, the East
Pierce County Fire and Rescue. This agency had dealt with two tragic
deaths on Lake Tapps due to teak surfing.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
oh for petes sake - another do-gooder who wants to save people from
themselves.

No, they want to give people more tickets.

do they seriously think a law is going to stop this type of activity?
ill bet there is a fine attached to this - just another revenue raiser
for the state.

another useless piece of legislation.

If it raises revenue, then how can it be useless? I say let
them give expensive tickets to stupid & destructive people,
then they can lower my taxes.

DSK

Doug Kanter

"JohnH" wrote in message

I'll bite. What the hell is 'teak surfing'?
--
John H

People grab onto the swim platform, often teak, and hang on as the boat
pulls them through the water. They're breathing fumes, so they sometimes get
carbon monoxide poisoning. If we're lucky and they're kids, they die and
their parents are less likely to reproduce again. The wife blames the
husband for doing something so stupid. She divorces him. Because of the
alimony, he can't afford the boat any more, so one less moron is out there
in a boat.

On 25 Jan 2006 19:16:40 -0800, wrote:

Senator Pam Roach has sponsored Senate Bill 6364 to ban "teak surfing".
She was prompted by one of her constituent organizations, the East
Pierce County Fire and Rescue. This agency had dealt with two tragic
deaths on Lake Tapps due to teak surfing.

oh for petes sake - another do-gooder who wants to save people from
themselves.

do they seriously think a law is going to stop this type of activity?
ill bet there is a fine attached to this - just another revenue raiser
for the state.

another useless piece of legislation.

Actually, not just "another piece of useless legislation" designed to
generate fines.

Right now, if a cop sees some 16 year old kid running a boat while some
14 or 15 year old
is teak surfing, about all the cop can do is pull them over and give
them a lecture about safety. Of course once the cop is out of sight,
the allure of teak surfing is immediately tripled, because not only is
it some sort of fun, but now it's also borderline dangerous *and* it
****es off the cops.

If there's a law, the cops can go as far as arresting the operator, if
need be, to see that the teak surfing stops.

There's a difference between being mentally defective ("should be
removed from the gene pool") and uninformed. A lot of teak surfers are
probably kids who don't ordinarily spend a lot of time around boats,
and when "all" their friends are doing it they just assume it's a
normal activity.

Here's hoping you never answer a knock on your door to learn that a kid
or a grandkid was killed while doing something others would consider
"stupid". My bet is that the last thought to cross your mind would be,
"Oh, well. If they were that stupid they didn't deserve to live in the
first place and it's a good thing they died before they could
reproduce."

We're talking actual lives here, not some abstract talk show platitude.

JohnH

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:20:32 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

JohnH wrote:
[...]

Hanging onto the swim platform and body surfing while the boat is
pulling you. You can die by inhaling engine fumes, and I suppose you can
also have a prop encounter.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Thanks.
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
RG

I'll bite. What the hell is 'teak surfing'?
--

An activity usually done by young wakeboarding types, although often in the
presence of folks much older that you would assume to be wiser as well. You

The activity involves hanging on to the swim platform with both hands while
in the water. The helmsman then brings the boat up to a slow plane, and the
"surfer" then body surfs as he hangs on for dear life to the swim platform.
Unfortunately, dear life often is fleeting as a result of this exercise, due
to two complications that seem to evade any premonition of their
consequences by all participants involved. First, the teak surfer's
nostrils are usually no more than about 24 inches away from the through
transom exhaust ports that the above mentioned type of boats tend to sport.
You will recall that said boat is now at speed, spewing copious amounts of
carbon monoxide in the general direction of the surfer's nostrils. Second,
the wearing of a PFD tends to munge the flow of water under to soon to be
stone cold body of the surfer, thereby hindering the body surfacing
experience. Therefore, teak surfing and the wearing of a PFD are mutually
exclusive. This tends to make the inevitable consequence of complication
#1, namely unconsciousness, even more problematic as the surfer tends to go
directly to the bottom, depriving all aboard any opportunity to get a good
look at his blue self. It also tends to make recovery of the surfer a real
bitch, usually best left to a professional dive team.

Now some may consider this sequence of events a genuine tragedy, and others
may look at it as a natural freshening of the gene pool. But there is an
unfortunate side effect of this nonsense that I believe we all would agree
is tragic. Since the perpetrators/victims of teak surfing (call 'em as you
see 'em) are typical Americans, there is a compulsory denial of self
responsibility for their actions. Surely the fault lies elsewhere, rather
than with the owner/operator of the boat or the person lying on the bottom
of the lake. And who better to find the true bearer of this guilt than a
personal injury attorney? Not surprising, and without exception, the PI
attorney's keen sense of smell for dollars always leads directly to the door
of the marine industry. This has resulted in numerous lawsuits against the
companies that manufacture the boats and motors that the rest of seem to
enjoy on a regular basis without loss of life. One grieving and vengeful
mother of a deceased young surfer publicly decried that the marine industry
was in the business of making "murder machines". There are two immediate
results of these lawsuits. First, the tremendous cost of defending them
gets passed along to the consumer in the form of higher prices. Second the
next new boat you buy will be plastered with ugly and obnoxious stickers
everywhere, warning of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning as well as
hanging on to the swim platform of a boat under way.

I am not making any of this up. It's the real deal.

Calif Bill

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Very well said. Also it is going to protect the marine industry from bounty
hunter lawsuits. If you are breaking the law, will be harder to collect for
the persons stupidity or ignorance.