Nute

Default Runabouts: How do the brands rank.

Sorry for the double post - My fault.

Now I know that everyone will have their personal bias, and I don't want to
start another flame war here, but I'd wonder if there is some loose
consensus on what the pecking order is quality-wise of boat brands.

I'm new to looking at boats, and just got back from the boat show. I was
pretty overwhelmed by everything I saw there, and would like to get some
opinions on how the following rank, with regard to quality and price:

Sea Ray
Larson
Regal
Glastron
Four Winns
Ebbtide
Rinker
Stingray
Bayliner

The order I listed them is about what my impression is at this time. I have
been trying to find a benchmark boat on all of their websites to use to
compare prices, but can't seem to find a common config that lets me compare
apples to apples.

Thanks
Nute

JimH

"Nute" wrote in message
news
[...]

I do not give it a whole lot of weight, but here is what JD Power and
Associates had to say:

http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases...asp?ID=2005018

With a small runabout I don't think you will go wrong with any of those
brands you listed, although I don't know about the Ebbtide brand. You may
want to throw Maxum in the mix also if you are shopping.

BTW: SeaRay, IMO, does not belong at the top of the list, nor does Bayliner
belong on the bottom.

Nute wrote:
[...]

You're missing the 3 C's: Cobalt, Crownline, and Chapparal. These boats
probably belong at or near the top of your list, depending upon what's
important to you.

Personally have never heard of an Ebbtide.

JimH

#1 Sea Ray, Glastron, Four Winns, Larson
#2 Regal, Ebbtide, Rinker
#3 Stingray
up for grabs: Bayliner.

bayliner has a el cheapo boat that ive ridden in which seems to be
half way decent - it has a small mercruiser i/o and is around 10k,
boat, motor and trailer. it appears to be a very nice little entry
boat for somebody who just wants something to run around in on the
weekends.

just my opinion.

I agree. A nicely priced entry level boat for inland lakes.

BTW: You can upsize the power package.

Reggie Smithers

#1 Sea Ray, Glastron, Four Winns, Larson
#2 Regal, Ebbtide, Rinker
#3 Stingray
up for grabs: Bayliner.

bayliner has a el cheapo boat that ive ridden in which seems to be
half way decent - it has a small mercruiser i/o and is around 10k,
boat, motor and trailer. it appears to be a very nice little entry
boat for somebody who just wants something to run around in on the
weekends.

just my opinion.

Anyone who is new to boating and is looking to boat on a lake, bay or
close to shore should definitely check out buying a used Bayliner.
There are a ton of them for sale and you can negotiate a great deal.
Their quality improved immensely during the 90's. After you have been
boating for awhile, you can decide exactly what is the ideal boat.
Since you purchased your first boat used, you will not take the big
depreciation hit. If you did a good job negotiating, you might even be
able to sell the boat for the same thing you paid for it.

--
Reggie

Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a ****-head?
A. Depth perception.
Dan Krueger

#1 Sea Ray, Glastron, Four Winns, Larson
#2 Regal, Ebbtide, Rinker
#3 Stingray
up for grabs: Bayliner.

bayliner has a el cheapo boat that ive ridden in which seems to be
half way decent - it has a small mercruiser i/o and is around 10k,
boat, motor and trailer. it appears to be a very nice little entry
boat for somebody who just wants something to run around in on the
weekends.

just my opinion.

I agree. A nicely priced entry level boat for inland lakes.

BTW: You can upsize the power package.

And when you do upgrade the $10K special jumps to a level that can get
you a better boat and trailer.

Dan
Bryan

wrote in message
oups.com...

Nute wrote:
[...]

Chuck,
I climbed around on a Chapparal when I was trying to find a less expensive
boat and it had a cheap feel to it. I don't know nothin' 'bout buildin' no
boats, but I didn't like it because of it's aesthetics and it's feel on the
lot. The Crownline and Cobalt were nice, but out of my boating price range.
Why do you include the Chapparal?