Default I want to sail from the east coast of the U.S. to the U.K.

I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

Skipper, is that you?

Reggie Smithers

Reggie Smithers wrote:
wrote:
I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

Look for some boats traveling from the Caribbean to the Med. or England
in the April to May period. Many look for crew to help with the trip.
Normally they want someone with sailing experience, but you might get
lucky and someone will be willing to teach you. Do a search on "Looking
for Crew" and you can find sailors looking and you can advertise for
what you are looking for.

The other option is to pay to ride a freighter across the Atlantic.

PS - Some pro Captains delivering a boat are willing to teach you, but
you have to pay them to make the trip. Boat owners normally will pay
for your food during the trip, but you have to pay for your own travel
expenses to the boat and then home after the crossing.

--
Reggie

Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a ****-head?
A. Depth perception.
RG

Which type anchor tattoo is better?

Bruce or Plow, but only if you get a windlass tattoo on the other
shoulder.

I heartily agree with the Bruce/Plow recommendation, but would you recommend
an all-chain or chain/nylon rode tattooed across the back from the windlass
to the anchor? And what scope would you recommend for the rode tattoo?
Horizontal or vertical capstan for the windlass? So many details to
consider for a voyage of this magnitude.

Dan J.S.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

Just get in the boat, set the compass to east and do it. Thousands of people
did this, so if you don't make it, you won't be getting that tattoo. It's
really no big deal.

JohnH

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:02:14 -0600, "Dan J.S." wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

Just get in the boat, set the compass to east and do it. Thousands of people
did this, so if you don't make it, you won't be getting that tattoo. It's
really no big deal.

That one was best!
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******

Batten East Coast Thom Stewart ASA 1 December 5th 05 05:06 AM
To those boaters along the gulf and lower east coast................. *JimH* General 2 November 8th 05 10:01 PM
Sailing Boom Brake - Vangs - Sail shapes +more links Mic Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:32 PM