BoatBanter.com

-   -   I want to sail from the east coast of the U.S. to the U.K. (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/65616-i-want-sail-east-coast-u-s-u-k.html)

[email protected] January 23rd 06 06:10 PM

I want to sail from the east coast of the U.S. to the U.K.

I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

JimH January 23rd 06 06:14 PM

I want to sail from the east coast of the U.S. to the U.K.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

Skipper, is that you?

Reggie Smithers January 23rd 06 06:26 PM

wrote:
I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

Look for some boats traveling from the Caribbean to the Med. or England
in the April to May period. Many look for crew to help with the trip.
Normally they want someone with sailing experience, but you might get
lucky and someone will be willing to teach you. Do a search on "Looking
for Crew" and you can find sailors looking and you can advertise for
what you are looking for.

The other option is to pay to ride a freighter across the Atlantic.

--
Reggie

Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a ****-head?
A. Depth perception.

Reggie Smithers January 23rd 06 06:30 PM

Reggie Smithers wrote:
wrote:
[...]

PS - Some pro Captains delivering a boat are willing to teach you, but
you have to pay them to make the trip. Boat owners normally will pay
for your food during the trip, but you have to pay for your own travel
expenses to the boat and then home after the crossing.

Calif Bill January 23rd 06 06:57 PM

I want to sail from the east coast of the U.S. to the U.K.

"Fred Dehl" wrote in message
wrote in
oups.com:

I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

1. Buy a canoe.
2. Eat a big breakfast.
3. Row really fast.

Which type anchor tattoo is better?

Don White January 23rd 06 07:06 PM

wrote:
I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

I'd rather find my adventure in the British Virgin Islands.
Land is always visible, beaches are beautiful and both air & water are warm.

RG January 23rd 06 07:33 PM

I want to sail from the east coast of the U.S. to the U.K.

Which type anchor tattoo is better?

Bruce or Plow, but only if you get a windlass tattoo on the other
shoulder.

I heartily agree with the Bruce/Plow recommendation, but would you recommend
an all-chain or chain/nylon rode tattooed across the back from the windlass
to the anchor? And what scope would you recommend for the rode tattoo?
Horizontal or vertical capstan for the windlass? So many details to
consider for a voyage of this magnitude.

Dan J.S. January 23rd 06 08:02 PM

I want to sail from the east coast of the U.S. to the U.K.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

Just get in the boat, set the compass to east and do it. Thousands of people
did this, so if you don't make it, you won't be getting that tattoo. It's
really no big deal.

JohnH January 23rd 06 08:50 PM

I want to sail from the east coast of the U.S. to the U.K.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:02:14 -0600, "Dan J.S." wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I don't have any practical sailing experience, but I've read a bit.
Mostly on survival at sea. I want to be a mariner. The less modern
the boat the better. I have a wife who will be in the U.K., and I'd
like to re-unite with her after having crossed the Atlantic. I would
also be getting an anchor tattoo when I make it. Does this sound too
flippant? I really want to do this. I've been dreaming of an
adventure at sea for years.

Let me know what I can do and what I'd have to do.

Just get in the boat, set the compass to east and do it. Thousands of people
did this, so if you don't make it, you won't be getting that tattoo. It's
really no big deal.

That one was best!
--
John H