Default St. John river ice has gone out!

This year's pool for ice out will have to be cancelled. The Ice left
Evandale today. We never even got the pole put in.

The water has been high all month, and there was a strong west wind all
yesterday and last night, and the ice just upped and left. The cable
ferries are all stopped, as several have broken their cables. This
mornig, I watched as the the cap of ice that regularly sits on the dock
ruins in my front yard until march just broke away from shore and
hiked it downstream - amazing! I wonder how many rocks it took with it
this time.

It is the first time it has ever happenend in January. Nobody has ever
seen it happen this early before. It has been a very mild winter this
year, with little snow on the ground, several bouts of rain, and
temperatures way above normal. Has anyone been surprised by the jet
stream shown on the weather channel for the last weeks? It's way down
south.

Is this a portent of the coming global warming? Or is it just an
anomolous freak? Will I be able to launch early, or will it freeze
again?

Terry K