JR North

Default Util company day of reckoning

No ****. Mine for Oct/Nov was $800. Ok, so I don't have insulated
windows. Now into Kerosene convection heaters. I can heat only the rooms
I need, and for less than $80. a month. PSE can kiss my ass. Twice.
JR
Harry Krause wrote:

Got the gas bill for December for the house...

More than twice as much as the corresponding month of 2003.

Incredible.

Butch Davis

Harry,

Your setup on gas sounds like a good idea.

I assume you are using CNG (liquid??)? This must require a pretty expensive
tank in order to hold the pressure required to maintain NG in a liquid
state. As I understand, the tank is underground except for a portion on top
required to service the tank. Does it require an electrical hook up for an
impressed current system to inhibit electrolitic wasting? Seems to me that
sacrificial anodes would be difficult to service.

As you can tell, I'm interested in the solutions to the technical challenges
of such a system. Frankly I wouldn't mind a similar system for our home if
it is not out of our reach.

Thanks,
Butch
Harry Krause wrote:

Got the gas bill for December for the house...

More than twice as much as the corresponding month of 2003.

Incredible.

Fortunately, we're not using gas to heat the house. Instead, we get gouged
by the electric company. But we do use gas for the range, for hot water,
and to run one of our fireplaces.

I'm so glad we have such effective national energy policies and plans.

Reggie Smithers

Harry Krause wrote:

Got the gas bill for December for the house...

More than twice as much as the corresponding month of 2003.

Incredible.

Fortunately, we're not using gas to heat the house. Instead, we get gouged
by the electric company. But we do use gas for the range, for hot water,
and to run one of our fireplaces.

I'm so glad we have such effective national energy policies and plans.

Butch,
I didn't know anyone delivered CNG, I thought all home bottle gas was
Propane. Is this something new when they started delivering CNG to
service stations?

--
Reggie

Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a ****-head?
A. Depth perception.
Butch Davis

Reggie,

AFAIK, this is new; thus my questions. Seems to me that CNG has some
inherent problems for residential use. Harry has answered the questions.
Renting the tank makes the whole thing more understandable to me. I'll be
in touch with my local company to see if a similar arrangement is available
locally (South Alabama) but am not too hopeful. Around here propane tanks
are the norm outside NG service areas.

I'm not crazy about propane having used it in both Italy and the Dominican
Republic. The burner orifice in things like stoves and dryers seem to
require frequent cleaning with the right sized drill bit. A modest PITA to
do.

Butch

Harry Krause wrote:

Got the gas bill for December for the house...

More than twice as much as the corresponding month of 2003.

Incredible.

Fortunately, we're not using gas to heat the house. Instead, we get
gouged by the electric company. But we do use gas for the range, for hot
water, and to run one of our fireplaces.

I'm so glad we have such effective national energy policies and plans.

Butch,
I didn't know anyone delivered CNG, I thought all home bottle gas was
Propane. Is this something new when they started delivering CNG to
service stations?

--
Reggie

Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a ****-head?
A. Depth perception.

Wayne.B

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:23:42 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

We do have a lot of CNG and LPG gas around these here
parts...

What you have in the underground tank is almost certainly LPG, aka,
propane/butane.

CNG requires special high pressure tanks similar to scuba gear and
they must be filled with a compressor.

?

Butch Davis wrote:
Reggie,

AFAIK, this is new; thus my questions. Seems to me that CNG has some
inherent problems for residential use. Harry has answered the questions.
Renting the tank makes the whole thing more understandable to me. I'll
be in touch with my local company to see if a similar arrangement is
available locally (South Alabama) but am not too hopeful. Around here
propane tanks are the norm outside NG service areas.

I'm not crazy about propane having used it in both Italy and the
Dominican Republic. The burner orifice in things like stoves and dryers
seem to require frequent cleaning with the right sized drill bit. A
modest PITA to do.

Butch

Whoa, there, Kimosabe. I'm not sure what kind of gas is delivered to the
household tank. We do have a lot of CNG and LPG gas around these here
parts...

There's one for the books.

The great ALL knowledgeable one doesn't even know what type of fuel is
running the appliances in his home.

Something smells fishy! Was it a slip up in his fantasy life on the
Internet?

Reggie Smithers

wrote:

We do have a lot of CNG and LPG gas around these here
parts...

What you have in the underground tank is almost certainly LPG, aka,
propane/butane.

CNG requires special high pressure tanks similar to scuba gear and
they must be filled with a compressor.

The biggest problem I have had using propane on a boat, is the btu
output is higher than CNG, so it makes it hard to simmer. It does help
if you are cooking with a pressure cooker, which is my preferred pot on
a boat. You can cook up dry beans in less than 8 min.