JohnH

Default Maybe a new Agent?

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:15:49 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

I think you will soon be seeing a new version of Agent. The current
Version is 3.1 · Build 783, which is obtainable at their website for
free if you have Version 1.93 (by date) or later. See the details at:
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/upgrade.php

The latest version (3.1) additions can be seen at:
http://www.forteinc.com/release/release.php?id=31.php

And although I can't be more specific, you can get a good idea of what
is available in version 3.2 at:
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/roadmap.php

This version, like all others, isn't going to please everybody.... nor
meet everybody's needs. Please CAREFULLY read the version
characteristics before just deciding to go to a higher Version Number.
There are some significant changes between 1.X and 2.X ..... and
really BIG changes between 2.X and 3.X... especially 3.1.... and
there will be large leaps in your perception of 3.2. The user
interface has not significantly changed in appearance, but there have
been significant changes in complexity due to the great number of new
features.

Agent is a work in progress that just sat for years, but is finally
moving forward at a speed greater than slug slow. It is worth a
look-see and with competent understanding of the scope and detail of
changes and features with a try.

Thanks for the info, Gene. I'm still using 1.91+, which suits me fine. Will
you please be the official 'tester' and let us know if the upgrade is
worthwhile?
--
John H

"Have a **spectacular** day!!
JohnH

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:22:34 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:05:37 -0500 in rec.boats, JohnH penned the
following thoughts:

wrote:

[...]

To me, it is. I'm running Version 3.2 Build 812, which I suspect will
be very close to what is released.... see the roadmap.

But, then, I don't use Agent for mail or binaries. It will, however,
have most of what people are looking for in an email client and will
handle binary downloads quite nicely.

I expect, in time, that Agent will be both my news and email client.

I cannot figure out why, in the face of a full-featured email/news
client like T'bird, why there is any significant user base for Agent.

What is it about Agent you find so appealing, Gene? It still doesn't
handle multiple mail servers of various types, does it?

I will continue using MS Outlook for email, and using Agent as a
newsreader, for both text and binaries. It works extremely well. Don't know
what T'bird could do better.
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
JohnH

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 02:49:44 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:58:39 -0500 in rec.boats, JohnH penned the
following thoughts:

wrote:

[...]

John.... check this out..... it makes MS "anything_mail" look like
crap.

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/

FWIW, my recommendations:

Mail: The Bat!
News: Agent (text); News Rover (binaries)
Browser: Anything but MS Internet Explorer

Obviously, my interests lie in configurability and automation....
YMMV.

Now that I've learned how to make a mailing list using MS Outlook, I'll
*never* take the time to relearn another email program!
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******