*JimH*

Default Surround Sound?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

My oldest stereo amp died. I used it to control the sound from a TV set
and CD player in our family room. I have a terrific Yamaha receiver I'm
using in my office and I plan to relocate that unit to the family room.

That means I am in the market for a new stereo receiver or amp for my
office. I am driving two electrostatic speakers and a powered subwoofer.

I am NOT a fan of surround sound. I don't like to sit in the middle of the
sound generated by orchestras, bands, or opera performances, or movies. I
also don't feel like running additional wires to additional speakers for
surround sound.

But the world seems to have passed me by on surround sound. I am having
one hell of a time finding a good receiver or amp that puts out 100-150
watts a channel for a pair of speakers and a subwoofer, and doesn't have
the extra five channels of output for the surround sound I don't want.

Any ideas?

I've looked at Yamaha, Denon, and a couple of other brands. A Denon
DRA-685 is close, but no cigar.

If God thought surround sound was good, he would have given us ears on the
back of our heads.

Some good folks here who can help you:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Gp9Qa4txTko/

Doug Kanter

*JimH* wrote:
[...]

Thanks, and as a matter of fact, I had an "on line conversation" earlier
today with a representative the

10/23/2005 12:34:43PM Session Started with Agent (Adam)
10/23/2005 12:35:11PM Agent (Adam): "Welcome back to Crutchfield Sales
Chat. How may I help you today?"
10/23/2005 12:35:26PM harry krause: "I was just chatting with lucy when
the connection died."
10/23/2005 12:35:51PM Agent (Adam): "Let me see if she is available, just
be a moment.."
10/23/2005 12:37:02PM Session Transferred to Agent (Lucy.)
10/23/2005 12:37:04PM Session Started with Agent (Lucy.)
10/23/2005 12:37:11PM harry krause: "ok"
10/23/2005 12:37:18PM Agent (Lucy.): "Hello again."
10/23/2005 12:37:19PM harry krause: "hello again"

Anyway, she recommended a Denon unit that seems to fit the bill and is
worthy of further investigation.

You might also take a look at Harman Kardon. In the late 1980s when I was in
the audio biz, they were (along with Denon and NAD) one of the few companies
who built decent amplification. Of course, you could

You could always just go over the edge......
http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/
(and no complaining about used stuff)

This is an excellent place to deal with:
http://www.audioclassics.com/

Dan Krueger

Harry Krause wrote:

Harmon Kardon has a model 3480 that seems to fit the bill...

Check out Onkyo before you decide.

Dan