Gould 0738

Default Feliz Cumpleanos, and time to get real about a boating paradise

Fidel Castro is turning 77. Feliz Cumpleanos, hombre.

Once considered a dire threat to the security of the US because of intense
Soviet sponsorship, the island nation just 90 miles from Florida enjoys full
economic and diplomatic relations with the vast majority of the world.
Including the closest allies of the United States.

It's time to end the pointless US boycott, and reopen commerce and unrestricted
travel between Cuba and the US. We can use the good rum and cigars, as well as
improved access for boaters.

Doug Kanter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Fidel Castro is turning 77. Feliz Cumpleanos, hombre.

Once considered a dire threat to the security of the US because of intense
Soviet sponsorship, the island nation just 90 miles from Florida enjoys

full
economic and diplomatic relations with the vast majority of the world.
Including the closest allies of the United States.

It's time to end the pointless US boycott, and reopen commerce and

unrestricted
travel between Cuba and the US. We can use the good rum and cigars, as

well as
improved access for boaters.

Agreed. I want to walk, fish (and drink) in Hemingway's footsteps for a
couple of weeks.

My girlfriend's mom (from Puerto Rico) was in Cuba last year for a teacher's
conference. She said the best travel advice she ever got was to bring a few
rolls of toilet paper. It's rationed, meaning that as she went into public
rest rooms, an attendant would dole out a foot or two. That's ridiculous.

Wayne.B

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:18:11 -0400, WaIIy
wrote:
Now why the hell do you think there is an anti-castro community in the
United States?

Easy enough to understand but sooner or later it will be time to move
on and establish normal relations.

F330 GT

Wayne B. wrote:

I'm also looking forward to
cruising Cuba from my new home base in SW Florida but I think it
probably will not happen while Castro is still alive.

You can go to Cuba right now. Call and check with Customs and Immigrations.
Even the Coast Guard doesn't care. The only legal point is you're not supposed
to spend American Dollars while you're there. I know several people that have
gone in the last few years. Never been any problem when they got back. Boaters
have checked in at Key West. You can also fly to the Bahamas and take a flight
from there to Cuba. The Cuban government is so obliging, they won't even stamp
your passport. Just be sure to not try to smuggle in Cuban cigars or rum.

Barry

Gould 0738

No, you are saying "Forget Castro, we want to have a new place to
vacation".

You and your ilk are insidious.

You live in a neighborhood.
In 1962, your next door neighbor acted like a real turd. You and all the rest
of your neighbors agreed not to talk to the guy.
Over the years, the neighbor acted like less of a turd, but was still a bit
edgy. Not any worse than a lot of the other neighbors, but not as nice a guy as
you'd like to see.

After several years, most of the other neighbors began speaking and visiting
with the offender. Now, 40 years later, it's the "holdout" neighbor, (still
shunning the original turd as if it makes a difference), who looks about half
way silly.

In fact, the shunning neighbor's kids routinely cut through other adjoining
yards to go visit the shunned turd's house, anyway.

Gfretwell

The anti-Cuba lobby, mostly centered in south Florida, may have more to do with
keeping cheap Cuban sugar off the market and eliminating vacation destination
competition than anything else. Bill Marriott and Steve Wynn could have turned
the Cuban economy around in a year but it would have come at the expense of a
lot of Florida tourism. As the other poster said, if it was juat about
communist dictators we would be embargoing China. Instead we are crowing about
the success of the China outlet mall (Wal-Mart/Sams).