FREDO

Default OT going to Fry's Electronics

We are going to Fry's Electronics!
My wife lets me go when I've been very good!
Man I love that store!
It is so huge!
It even has a coffee and sandwich grille inside.
The selection of puters and other neat stuff is so vast!!!

Fredo

FREDO wrote:
We are going to Fry's Electronics!
My wife lets me go when I've been very good!
Man I love that store!
It is so huge!
It even has a coffee and sandwich grille inside.
The selection of puters and other neat stuff is so vast!!!

Fredo

Good Luck, :-)

IMO, Fry's has taken the big box theme just a bit too far. There is way
too much of way too much stuff in there. The choices are overwhelming.
We've got one in South Seattle, and I think some of the folks who went
there for the Grand Opening a couple of years ago are still missing.
Once in a while, when shopping there, I see that the search and rescue
helicopter still passes by trying to find them. I wish they'd fly just
a bit closer to the ceiling, the rotor wash ruffles what's left of my
hair.

Then there's the confusing issue of the store's hours: The sign on the
door makes no particular reference whether the 9PM closing time applies
to all three time zones spanned by the building.

The aggravating aspect of shopping at Fry's is that consumers have a
natural tendency to equate huge selection and warehouse merchandising
with low, low, prices. Caveat Emptor at Fry's. They'll take out a full
page, four color ad in the Sunday paper and advertise prices that not
only aren't "deals", they are well above average for the same or
similar merchandise sold elsewhere. But oh well, somebody has to pay
the salaries for all the public employees in the several small towns
contained entirely withing the average Fry's Electronics store.

Bill McKee

wrote in message
oups.com...

FREDO wrote:
[...]

The wifes friend can always tell when he stopped at Fry's on the way home.
He is still ****ed. Stupid clerks, with no knowedge of the product, 55
checkout stands with 3 open, and if you have paperwork for exchange, they
make even other copies of the paperwork.

Jim

Default OT going to Fry's Electronics-Store theme

There are quite a few Fry's in my area. Each store has a theme.

Manhattan Beach- South Seas (Looks like Gilligan's Island) It works.

Anaheim- Space Shuttle

Fountain Valley- The fall of the Roman Empire

Woodland Hills- Alice in Wonderland (better than it sounds)

Burbank- The best of all, Space Invaders. Flying saucer crashed through
front wall, military guy posed with rifle. . . shooting aliens while
being shot with a ray gun. Snack area is a drive in with old cars made
into seating areas. 55 Buick, Kaiser (?) Always showing an old horror
flick on the screen above the snack bar. Very cool.

You'd have to see it. It's worth the trip no matter how far it is.

What themes do the rest of the stores have?

Jim

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

FREDO wrote:

[...]

Indianapolis is race cars of course!
"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...
There are quite a few Fry's in my area. Each store has a theme.

Manhattan Beach- South Seas (Looks like Gilligan's Island) It works.

Anaheim- Space Shuttle

Fountain Valley- The fall of the Roman Empire

Woodland Hills- Alice in Wonderland (better than it sounds)

Burbank- The best of all, Space Invaders. Flying saucer crashed through
front wall, military guy posed with rifle. . . shooting aliens while being
shot with a ray gun. Snack area is a drive in with old cars made into
seating areas. 55 Buick, Kaiser (?) Always showing an old horror flick on
the screen above the snack bar. Very cool.

You'd have to see it. It's worth the trip no matter how far it is.

What themes do the rest of the stores have?

Jim

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

FREDO wrote:

[...]

Reggie Smithers

Chuck,
I was watching a show about Wal-Mart last night. One of the things they
talked about was a "LOW COST ITEM". The low cost item would be the best
price anywhere, a $29 microwave etc. Once you stepped up in quality, the
price was probably not the best price in the marketplace. I would guess
many of the box stores use this marketing strategy.

That is one of the great benefits of the internet, you can check out the
item and prices on all major purchases.
wrote in message
oups.com...

FREDO wrote:
[...]

Eisboch

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
. ..

Chuck,
I was watching a show about Wal-Mart last night. One of the things they
talked about was a "LOW COST ITEM". The low cost item would be the best
price anywhere, a $29 microwave etc. Once you stepped up in quality, the
price was probably not the best price in the marketplace. I would guess
many of the box stores use this marketing strategy.

Sears used to be famous for this years ago. Super advertised deal on
something but when you showed up to buy it, "it" was out of stock. Then the
pressure was on to buy the better, higher priced item instead.

Way before WalMart was even thought of.

Eisboch

Reggie Smithers

Eisboch,

The difference is Sears was using "Bait and Switch" and only had a few of
the advertised items in the store. When most people came in, they had just
sold out of the item.

Wal-Mart will have lots of the "Low Cost Item" available to buy, they don't
use salesmen to sell the better quality item, they just know many people
will decide the they want the better quality item on their own. The "Low
Cost Item is often not even advertised, it is just "End-Capped" or displayed
in the middle of the Aisle.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
. ..

Chuck,
I was watching a show about Wal-Mart last night. One of the things they
talked about was a "LOW COST ITEM". The low cost item would be the best
price anywhere, a $29 microwave etc. Once you stepped up in quality, the
price was probably not the best price in the marketplace. I would guess
many of the box stores use this marketing strategy.

Sears used to be famous for this years ago. Super advertised deal on
something but when you showed up to buy it, "it" was out of stock. Then
the pressure was on to buy the better, higher priced item instead.

Way before WalMart was even thought of.

Eisboch

Bert Robbins

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:

Sears used to be famous for this years ago. Super advertised deal on
something but when you showed up to buy it, "it" was out of stock. Then
the pressure was on to buy the better, higher priced item instead.

Way before WalMart was even thought of.

Eisboch

Not being a Wal-Mart shopper, I don't have this first-hand, but I have
read reports over the years that a number of the "name brand" products
sold in Wal-Mart are made specifically for the store, and built to sell at
a lower price point than similar name-brand products found in other
stores. I suspect this would be true mainly of manufactured items. In
other words, the "Samsung" 19" monitor you find at Wal-Mart is not the
same product as the "Samsung" 19" monitor you find at a reputable computer
store, even though the model numbers look very similar.

The few times I have gone to Sears for something and it was out of stock,
I was given a rain check without any hassle, and the department manager
called to let me know when the item arrived.

Some months ago, I decided to buy a refrigerator for my "rec room," and
went to Sears for a particular model "GE." It was there on the floor,
right next to a superior Kenmore that was selling for $100 less with a
better warranty. I bought the Kenmore.

But, that Kenmore was probably made by GE.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:

Sears used to be famous for this years ago. Super advertised deal on
something but when you showed up to buy it, "it" was out of stock. Then
the pressure was on to buy the better, higher priced item instead.

Way before WalMart was even thought of.

Eisboch

Not being a Wal-Mart shopper, I don't have this first-hand, but I have
read reports over the years that a number of the "name brand" products
sold in Wal-Mart are made specifically for the store, and built to sell at
a lower price point than similar name-brand products found in other
stores. I suspect this would be true mainly of manufactured items. In
other words, the "Samsung" 19" monitor you find at Wal-Mart is not the
same product as the "Samsung" 19" monitor you find at a reputable computer
store, even though the model numbers look very similar.

Maybe. Radio Shack used to do that; specifiying design and manufacture
criteria to a major manufacturer, then selling them as an "Archer" or "Radio
Shack" model. I am told that most were made with cheaper components, (i.e.
10% tolerance resistors instead of 5%, etc.), that seems to be borne out by
the inferior performance and lifespan of the products.

Sears used to - and still does- the same thing I guess, selling a washer or
whatever as a "Kenmore" that was actually made by Maytag or GE. Seems like
Kenmore appliances are a lot better quality than the Radio Shack clones
though. It's only been in the past 10 years or so that both Sears and Radio
Shack have been offering name brand products in addition to their own.

Other retailers do similar things. I was in the market for a set of JBL
speakers a couple of years ago and a friend told me they sold them at Best
Buy in West Palm. I didn't believe it, so off I went, only to discover that
the JBLs at Best Buy, although genuine JBLs, were all low end plastic crap,
not the Studio Monitors I was looking for.

Eisboch