P. Fritz

Default Buying a Used Boat

" JimH" wrote in message
. ..

"P. Fritz" wrote in message

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"P. Fritz" wrote in message

If it was built before 90......the length typically does not

include
the
pulpit and swim platform.....saves money on docking charges ;-)

(Mine
says 28 on the title......even though it is longer than newer 32's)

Not necessarily. Most marinas in this area charge on the overall

length.

The ones I have gone to have always just looked at the numbers on the
side or the title.

Ours charge by the length of the slip, regardless of the length of boat.

My marina does, but I was talking about transient slips, like at
P.I.B. for eample. My boat says 28 on the side, they did question it once
but once they looked at the title, they accepted it. I guess it depends on
the marina, and the experience of the dock hands.

Reggie Smithers

JimH,
How can anyone know if the seller is being honest with the engine hours if
their is not hour meter?

For that matter, how can someone be sure if the seller is being honest about
the engine hours even if their is an hour meter? Today's cars are set up to
make it very hard to set back the mileage. I don't think there is anything
similar for replacing the hour meter and just running the meter to provide a
reasonable number of engine hours.

" JimH" wrote in message
. ..
When buying any used boat it is important to deal with a seller who is up
front and honest about things like engine hours, especially if there is no
hour meter.

It is also important that both the prospective buyer and seller know what
a reasonable price is for the particular boat.

There was another thread with a member claiming to have a boat for sale
who broke all these rules and will therefore have a hard time selling his
boat.

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
. ..
In a separate thread, there has been a discussion about buying a used
boats. I have purchased both new and used boats, and if I was going to
buy another boat I probably would buy a used boat.

I thought it might be interested if everyone added their thoughts of
buying a used boat vs. a new boat. To get the thread started I have
listed a few ideas. Please add yours.

Advantage of a used boat a

1. The new boats problems (and they all have a few gremlins) have
probably been solved.

2. The boat will probably include many options or accessories that will
be thrown in for free.

3. The other person is taking the big hit for depreciation that incurs
as soon as the boat is taken off the dealers lot. Even if the boat is
only 2 years old, you can probably save at least 20% off the cost of the
same boat new.

Any other benefits of a used boat?

The disadvantage of a used boat:

1. There might be hidden problems, that even a survey and mechanic will
not find.

2. You will not have the "new boat smell".

3. If you are going to finance the boat, you interest rates and down
payment might be higher than new.

4. You need to be prepared to spend more time finding a good used boat
at a reasonable price. It is easier to visit a boat show and check out
many new boats in one location.

Any other disadvantages of the used boat?

JimH

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
JimH,
How can anyone know if the seller is being honest with the engine hours if
their is not hour meter?

A maintenance and trip log will help show how well the boat was maintained
and how ofter it was used. One will not be able to know the exact number of
hours but can gestimate it.

For that matter, how can someone be sure if the seller is being honest
about the engine hours even if their is an hour meter?

Again, a maintenance and trip log will validate it. Receipts from
mainteance done on the boat also helps, as does a professional compression
test of the engine(s).

Today's cars are set up to make it very hard to set back the mileage. I
don't think there is anything similar for replacing the hour meter and
just running the meter to provide a reasonable number of engine hours.

True. That is why it is important when purchasing a used boat not to rely
solely on the hour meter.

Reggie Smithers

In my area all marinas charges by the size of the slip, they have maximum
boat size that they allow in a slip, but if you want to put a 20' boat in a
60' slip you can do it.

I actually saw where a number of dock mates jointly rented a 60' slip, just
so they could store their jet skis and ski boats. There was 4 jet skis and
2 runabouts in a 60' slip.

"P. Fritz" wrote in message

[...]

One of my hour meters jumped, so that it looks like one engine has 200
more hours than the other.

" JimH" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I have never kept a "trip log", is that common for the recreational boaters
in your area?

My maintenance records and receipts from the dealer (except for the first 20
hr. check up and the first 50 hr check up) have not referenced the hour
meter. Since I do most of the normal maintenance on my boat, I always save
the receipts for lube and parts and attach it to a Maintenance Log,
referencing the date the service was performed and the hour meter reading.

Is it common for most marinas and or mechanics to include the hours on the
work order?

" JimH" wrote in message

[...]

It is for me.

My maintenance records and receipts from the dealer (except for the first
20 hr. check up and the first 50 hr check up) have not referenced the hour
meter. Since I do most of the normal maintenance on my boat, I always
save the receipts for lube and parts and attach it to a Maintenance Log,
referencing the date the service was performed and the hour meter reading.

There you go. That is the best evidence you can present a prospective buyer
on the engine hours and maintenance.

Is it common for most marinas and or mechanics to include the hours on the
work order?

Nope. But you can ask them to or note the hours yourself on the log or
receipt.

John Gaquin

"P. Fritz" wrote in message

Not necessarily. Most marinas in this area charge on the overall
length.

Ours charge by the length of the slip, regardless of the length of

boat.

My marina does, but I was talking about transient slips, like at
P.I.B. for eample. My boat says 28 on the side, they did question it
once but once they looked at the title, they accepted it. I guess it
depends on the marina, and the experience of the dock hands.

Perhaps I should have said many instead of most, but the basic principle
holds. I had an older Luhrs 32, and 4 friends had essentially the same
boat, all at different marinas. We all had the same problem. Prow to
transom, the vessel measures just about 31.5, but with swim platform and
small anchor pulpit she would tape out a bit over 34', and that was the
charge.

Reggie Smithers

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

D'oh. The hour meter on the large Yamaha outboards is electronic and

? reads directly from the computer in the powerhead.

Does anyone know if the computer only read the hours based upon when the
engine is running or will it also show hours when the key was turned to
"accessories"? I noticed my I/O hour meter runs anytime the key is turned
to the "accessory" mode, even if the engines are not running.