Fisheye

Default Speedometer quit working!

The Speedo on my Suzuki DF140 outboard quit working. The tubing
between the engine and gauge is clear and I can make the needle move
by pressurizing it with air from the motor end. If I try to blow air
toward the engine it appears to be totaly blocked. I'm wondering if
there is a check valve. Can't find anything clogging the pickup hole
on the lower unit, but it could further up. Any ideas on how to fix
this?
Bill McKee

"Fisheye" wrote in message
The Speedo on my Suzuki DF140 outboard quit working. The tubing
between the engine and gauge is clear and I can make the needle move
by pressurizing it with air from the motor end. If I try to blow air
toward the engine it appears to be totaly blocked. I'm wondering if
there is a check valve. Can't find anything clogging the pickup hole
on the lower unit, but it could further up. Any ideas on how to fix
this?

Take a small drill bit, and USING YOUR FINGERS, twist it in the hole in the
engine leg.

markvictor

Fisheye,
It's very common for grass, debris,and all sorts of foreign "stuff" to
clog the passage in the lower unit,and as you have eliminated a problem
in the tubing and speedo itself that is the location to suspect.There
is no check valve; if there was the speedo would stay at the max speed
attained and could not return to zero.
Try using compressed air or some water pressure to dislodge the
clog...But always go from the top down;
going from the bottom up will usually result in making things worse,ie.
forcing the clog in even further. I made a fitting up that screws onto
a garden hose and adapts down to a piece of sppedo tubing. Be careful,
just crack the water on slightly, it only takes a couple of psi to
drive a speedo.... You may be able to help things along with a piece of
flexible wire. If no luck, you can always install a stand-alone pitot
tube on the transom and connect it to your existing speedo and hose...
but that shouldn't be necessary...Good luck...
Regards,
markvictor
(visit my group Bad Boat Biz ...a Google group)

Scott Sexton

Back when I was in the boat business, the boats used in waterski
competition had compressed air that could be shot backwards through the
speedo tube to clear out whatever blockage there was.

For your problem, probably removing the tube at the speedo and blowing
(or shooting some compressed air) into the tube towards the pickup
(reversing the flow) should do the job.

Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party http://eeyores.sexton.com
Fisheye

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 03:16:13 GMT, Fisheye wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the tip about there being no
check valve. The clog was in the lower unit. 90 lbs of air pressure
would not dislodge it. Had to work a peice of wire down the foot from
the top and tap on it for a while. It finally gave way. Have no
reason to think it won't work when I go out again.

The Speedo on my Suzuki DF140 outboard quit working. The tubing
between the engine and gauge is clear and I can make the needle move
by pressurizing it with air from the motor end. If I try to blow air
toward the engine it appears to be totaly blocked. I'm wondering if
there is a check valve. Can't find anything clogging the pickup hole
on the lower unit, but it could further up. Any ideas on how to fix
this?

markvictor

Fisheye.
Good work!
markvictor

How to Check If Oil Injection System Is Working Or Not? [email protected] General 5 November 16th 05 03:32 AM
Working on Boats boatcrew Cruising 4 October 6th 05 05:25 AM
Working on Boats boatcrew General 8 October 5th 05 04:56 PM