Doug Kanter

Default If this video clip doesn't make you cringe, then there is no hope.

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:02:38 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 02:47:45 GMT, Charlie Brown
wrote:

Those are some stupid freaking people. I remember back in college, I
was working on a group project with this one girl who was reasonably
intelligent. THe project involved some basic knolwedge of world
geography and this chic had absolutely no idea where China was on the
globe. I mean no idea, couldn't even identify the correct continent
where it is located. That really blew my mind at the time. I didn't
think people with that level of education and intelligence could be so
dim about something as important and relevant as to where major
countries are located in the world.

Not knowing where Sri Lanka is I can understand. Not knowing that
North Korea isn't part of Australia is just plain dumb.

There are highly placed students in colleges who don't have a freakin'
club where their state capital is located, nevermind where another
country is.

And then, there seems to be a concentrated enclave of provincian thinkers
in
Long Island. A year after I moved away, my old boss complained that I
never
stopped in to visit. "Tommy....I'm in Rochester. This is the first time
I've
been back in a year". His response: "Bull**** excuse....isn't that right
up
by Yonkers?"

People at my home office have no idea where Rochester is. These people
deal
with transportation all day long, and have enormous, detailed maps of the
U.S. on the wall in almost every room.

There are people in my town, and I'm not making this up, my own age,
who have never been outside a twenty mile radius of their family farm.

Which in a town that is 64 square miles in area, means that they have
never been out of town in their lives.

Have you ever asked them whether they're curious what other places are like?
Hell...there are some pretty nice concerts at Tanglewood. You can even bring
a picnic basket, and a blanket, if you really want to take a big risk.

Eisboch

wrote:

[...]

I thought Rochester was down by Wareham - towards Cape Cod.

(just kidding - spend lots of time at the UofR)

Eisboch

Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

Everyone knows Rochester is in Minnesota.

I find this scary: There are people our age who can't spell Rochester. In
40-50 years of living, it seems some people have never looked at the back of
their box of film.

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

As a long-time editor and a several-term teacher of English at the
university level, I am not surprised by the lack of language skills among
the populace.

I recently picked up the print version of this group's newsletter:
http://www.scopeny.org/

It contained an article about a guy who felt he'd been charged too much for
moving his entire gun collection from his pistol permit to his daughter's.
The article was loaded with errors. This one was a beauty: "After getting
no stratification from the county clerk's office....."

I dropped a note to the president of the group, offering to edit his
newsletter in return for (perhaps) free membership. He responded, saying
he'd re-read the article and saw nothing wrong with it. Amazing.

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

Do any shooting with a red dot sight?

Never. I'm already trouncing a couple of the .22 pistol shooters at the
club. They have red dot toys, I use the iron sights. This may change if they
ever learn how to pull the trigger correctly.

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

Do any shooting with a red dot sight?

By the way, the other reason I don't use a laser thing is that both of my
pistols are carry pieces. There's simply no good way for a sane person to
carry a gun with a scope of any kind mounted on top. And, I'm reading some
negative things about lasers that are part of the grips.

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

Do any shooting with a red dot sight?

By the way, the other reason I don't use a laser thing is that both of my
pistols are carry pieces. There's simply no good way for a sane person to
carry a gun with a scope of any kind mounted on top. And, I'm reading
some negative things about lasers that are part of the grips.

Just get yourself a lanyard, and open carry. I don't like the laser sights
at all, but the red dots are interesting.

Open carry? Describe further.

Bill McKee

wrote:

[...]

I know where both Rochesters are. The New York one is where one locks the
keys in the trunk of the rental car on Columbus day. Really bad move.

Doug Kanter

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:17:28 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:02:38 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

m...
wrote:

[...]

They have no interest in going anywhere. It's really odd.

Anything like some places in the Adirondacks? Porch falling off, kids
without shoes, but 2 brand new snowmobiles and a huge satellite dish?

Don White

wrote:

[...]

Even I know where Rochester is...and I've never been there.
The reason might be that you have had an AHL hockey team there forever,
before we did, and you still have one after we lost all three of ours.
Nova Scotia Voyagers ... farm team of Montreal
Nova Scotia Oilers ......farm team of Edmonton
Halifax Citadels ......farm team of Quebec