Default funky chinese outboards?

hi all,
I've seen a whole bunch of these things on ebay in australia recently,
and im thinking of buying a small outboard for my sailing cat. Im
probably going to get a new 3.5 yamaha or similar since the cost of
second hand small outboards (even 20 year old ones!) is typically more
than half the cost of something brand new.

These weird outboards have been popping up all over the place in
australia recently though and no-one seems to know anything about them.
I havent seen any on boats, only on web pages and such. They are a
range of small engines, look like they were out of generators or small
motorbikes, mostly 4 strokes, but also a diesel (!). They take the
engines, plop them on a platform with a clamp and fit a universal
plastic looking leg with prop to the output shaft. They are all air
cooled. here's a couple of links for anyone who wants to see...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/8-8hp-4-STROK...c mdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5-5HP-4-STROK...c mdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Outboard-Moto...cmd ZViewItem

they're all being sold by different guys, but its probably the same guy
using different names. The diesel looks interesting, and the 4stroke
petrol ones are about half prive of an equivalent size engine from a
known manufacturer.

now assuming that these engines dont just crap out and die (which is
maybe too much to assume) what id be worried about it whether the salt
water environment would kill them. Or even if a little water would do
it. Also, does anyone have any idea if the legs on these things would
just snap right off if you hit something?

any responses welcome~
Shaun
Sydney, Australia

unless you want to put around on a very small lake ... leave your hands
off them....

the thought of relying on a chinese outboard makes me shiver in fear ..

Matt

yeah thats what i figure... the engine is there on my boat for two
possible scenarios; no wind and stuck in the middle of nowhere, or too
much wind/gear failure. in either case, the motor is like a last
resort, so you want it to be 100% reliable. Thats why im going to save
a few more pennies and buy new. Still interested in these things more
as a curiosity than anything else.

I have my experience with chinese gear .. enough to make me avoid it at
(almost) all cost... I invented the term "Butter gears" which
describes the gears quiet nicely ..

A domestic or japanese used kicker can be had for around $1000 and will
be lightyears ahaed in terms of reliablility

Matt

Don White

wrote:
[...]

There is a particular poster named Karen, from Australia, who may know
something about this.

K. Smith

Don White wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Not those particular ones no, but thanks for thinking of me:-)

Merry christmas to all