NOYB

Default OT--Merry friggin' Christmas

By LARRY McSHANE
Associated Press Writer
Dec 20 5:10 PM US/Eastern

NEW YORK - Commuters trudged through the freezing cold, rode bicycles and
shared cabs Tuesday as New York's bus and subway workers went on strike for
the first time in more than 25 years and stranded millions of riders at the
height of the Christmas rush. A judge slapped the union with a $1
million-a-day fine. State Justice Theodore Jones leveled the sanction
against the Transport Workers Union for violating a state law that bars
public employees from going on strike. The city and state had asked Jones to
hit the union with a "very potent fine."

Another reason why the popularity of unions is at an all-time low.

Smithers one of 1000's

NYOB,

My son called me today to tell me he was walking back to his Dorm, gong down
Broadway around 115 St. (way uptown). He said he walked 3 blocks and didn't
see one car move the entire time.

He now has to figure out a way to Manhattan to LaGuardia on Thursday. It
will be interesting to see how he handles this.

k.net...

"Smithers one of 1000's" Smithers of a 1000 names wrote in message
NYOB,

My son called me today to tell me he was walking back to his Dorm, gong
down Broadway around 115 St. (way uptown). He said he walked 3 blocks and
didn't see one car move the entire time.

He now has to figure out a way to Manhattan to LaGuardia on Thursday. It
will be interesting to see how he handles this.

When the unions approach him (or one of his employees) one day, how do you
think today's actions will affect his response to them?

Smithers

NOYB,
He is siding with the Union. He thinks management is using the "No Strike"
rule not to negotiate in good faith.

College students, what can you do. They know it all. ; )

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Smithers one of 1000's" Smithers of a 1000 names wrote in message
NYOB,

My son called me today to tell me he was walking back to his Dorm, gong
down Broadway around 115 St. (way uptown). He said he walked 3 blocks
and didn't see one car move the entire time.

He now has to figure out a way to Manhattan to LaGuardia on Thursday. It
will be interesting to see how he handles this.

When the unions approach him (or one of his employees) one day, how do you
think today's actions will affect his response to them?

Don White

Smithers wrote:
NOYB,
He is siding with the Union. He thinks management is using the "No Strike"
rule not to negotiate in good faith.

College students, what can you do. They know it all. ; )

It does give you faith in the next generation..eh?

Reggie Smithers

Don,
When he comes home I am going to hit him with a baseball bat.

The little ****. ; )

"Don White" wrote in message
Smithers wrote:
NOYB,
He is siding with the Union. He thinks management is using the "No
Strike" rule not to negotiate in good faith.

College students, what can you do. They know it all. ; )

It does give you faith in the next generation..eh?

P. Fritz

Just wait, he'll graduate, get that high income job, then the first
paycheck will arrive, and he will have a near death experience from seeing
the amount withheld for taxes........he'll be a conservative in no time
:-)

news

Reggie Smithers ( is my first name) wrote:
Don,
When he comes home I am going to hit him with a baseball bat.

The little ****. ; )

Exactly. If you hit his head enough times with a bat, you'll cause
enough brain damage to allow him to follow the right wing lemming like
and think unions are terrible things and people should be using
children as slave labor still.

JohnH

On 21 Dec 2005 04:31:58 -0800, wrote:

Reggie Smithers ( is my first name) wrote:
Don,
When he comes home I am going to hit him with a baseball bat.

The little ****. ; )

Exactly. If you hit his head enough times with a bat, you'll cause
enough brain damage to allow him to follow the right wing lemming like
and think unions are terrible things and people should be using
children as slave labor still.

So, atlman. what do you think of Chuck's challenge? I'll quote it below, in case you
missed it.

Our NG has become a chatroom.
No other way to define what has happened, when 90% or more of the
content is OT and 50% or more of the OT posts devolve into political
name calling and flame fests. Boats are probably mentioned more often
in a general chatroom, by accident, than they are here on rec.boats on
purpose.

I propose a 5 day challenge to the entire chatroom.

For five days, let's pretend we're a boating newsgroup.

That would be the remainder of today, the 20th, through Saturday the
24th.

During this period of time, I propose that the group of worst
offenders, self included, take the lead in this challenge by doing the
following things.

1. Refrain from launching any sort of political or religious thread.
2. Resist name calling and put personal feuds aside.
3. Resist the temptation to respond to any political threads trolled
through the NG
4. Launch a minimum of two boating-related threads (not required of
non-boaters)
5. Evaluate the effectiveness of this 5 day challenge on December 25

For this to work at all, I believe we need Harry, Basskisser, JimH,
John H, Doug Kanter, Skipper, NOYB, P.Fritz, and Smithers (under all of
his 1000 names), to sign on. The occasional offenders, not mentioned
above, would need to participate as well. For this to work, anybody who
elects to participate would have to be adult enough to ignore
violations by others rather than use those violations as a
justification or an excuse to resume OT trolling, flaming and chatting.
Participants would need to assume responsibility for their own
behavior, and not allow it to be dictated by the bad actions of others.

So the gauntlet is thrown. I'm in for the five days. Anybody else
willing to experiment to see whether the overall tone of the
chatroom/NG would change if a group of the worst offenders
modified their behavior here? If not, things will be at least slightly
better for five days while I personally follow the 5 guidelines.

It's solstice. The world is taking a new slant and the sun is coming
back (to the north).
Wouldn't this be an appropriate time to stop the decline of the NG and
bring a bit of boating sunshine back? It would be a holiday or
Christmas gift to the group, from the group, and for the group. :-)

Are you in?
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****
P Fritz

"JohnH" wrote in message
On 21 Dec 2005 04:31:58 -0800, wrote:

Reggie Smithers ( is my first name) wrote:
Don,
When he comes home I am going to hit him with a baseball bat.

The little ****. ; )

Exactly. If you hit his head enough times with a bat, you'll cause
enough brain damage to allow him to follow the right wing lemming like
and think unions are terrible things and people should be using
children as slave labor still.

So, atlman. what do you think of Chuck's challenge? I'll quote it below,

in case you
missed it.

You are asking Keivn to THINK? ;-)

[...]

Corrupt liberal media fails to cover the news [email protected] General 54 December 12th 05 08:24 PM
not boating at Christmas? Jim Carter General 1 December 10th 05 01:07 AM
Christmas Cheer! Bob Crantz ASA 0 December 3rd 05 09:20 PM
OT The Truth About Anti-Christmas [email protected] General 3 December 2nd 05 07:24 PM