JohnH

Default Those torturing US *******s...

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:28:20 GMT, "Doug Kanter" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:51:38 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

On the edge of the case, Vaughan Williams is first in the list of
composers.
On the front is a nice landscape of rolling green hills. The headline
selection is the one I mentioned, along with Samuel Barber's "Adagio for
Strings" a 3 others.

I think if you had it, you'd know. :-)

It's funny. We bought one of these fancy Bose 'Surround Sound' systems. My
wife and I
argued about whether to get the unit with the 6 CD changer or the one
without. I
didn't want the changer. Well, we ended up with the changer. Now it hardly
gets used,
because it's such a pain in the butt to use.
--
John H

How's it sound? When I was in the biz, Bose speakers were mainly attractive
to guys who wore backwards Caterpillar hats 24x7, and listened to nothing
but ZZ Top at full volume.

I'm no longer a Bose fan. They're too 'bassy' for me. But, my hearing is not all that
great, so I need the treble boosted way up.

The only adjustment for bass and treble is on the subwoofer. I'd never recommend the
set to anyone. But, it will play the Organ symphony loud enough to get the neighbors
out of bed!
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****
JohnH

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:18:21 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:38:13 -0500, JohnH wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:19:49 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:15:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Reggie Smithers" Reggie( is my first name) Smithers wrote in message
JohnH,
I think the word you are looking for is "haunting".

Check out Evanescence (Amy Lee). Same quality, but not quiet as high
pitched.

I get chills listening to her sing.

There's always the Joni Mitchell "Clouds" album.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like listening to Joan Baez sing "for Tookie's life!!"

Put this in your CD player and turn the volume *way* up!

Camille Saint-Saëns, Symphony #3 "Organ" in C minor, Op. 78/Telarc CD-80051
Michael Murray (organ), Eugene Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra

Pah - the key of C minor is for lazy composers and those who have no
talent.

John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****
Reggie Smithers

Tom,
He is either calling you a beggar or a member of the Franciscans.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:29:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:03:57 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Here's another for you:
"Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis"
by Ralph Vaughan Williams

Pah - he stole the whole string choir concept from Elgar and did
nothing with it. By the time he wrote this, considered his
"masterpiece", he was already a hack.

Apparently, Ravel didn't think so.

Another loser.

Wait a minute....why am I discussing music with you??? You don't like
bass,
the best instrument in the known universe. You're a mendicant!

I'm a what?

Don White

JohnH wrote:

It's funny. We bought one of these fancy Bose 'Surround Sound' systems. My wife and I
argued about whether to get the unit with the 6 CD changer or the one without. I
didn't want the changer. Well, we ended up with the changer. Now it hardly gets used,
because it's such a pain in the butt to use.
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****

Is the sound on those Bose units half as good as advertised?
I find it hard to believe it would be better than a 'home theater
system' of the same price range.
Reggie Smithers

Ok, I am afraid to ask, but how did you notice the glass bending?

wrote:

[...]

Part of the problem is that most production speakers are built for
moer bass response than is absolutely necessary. Bose speakers are
built with broader frequency response than most production speakers,
so I find that comment interesting.

Speaking of waking up the neighbors, when we were living up at the
farm house, I renovated a room as an office and sound proofed it,
installed my MacInstosh system with the Bozak Concert Grands and, with
the wife out of the house somewhere, cranked it up - first time I had
ever done that.

Believe it or not, I had to open up a window the sound pressure was
actually bending the glass.

Sadly, I can't do that anymore. :)

JohnH

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:26:38 GMT, Don White wrote:

JohnH wrote:

It's funny. We bought one of these fancy Bose 'Surround Sound' systems. My wife and I
argued about whether to get the unit with the 6 CD changer or the one without. I
didn't want the changer. Well, we ended up with the changer. Now it hardly gets used,
because it's such a pain in the butt to use.
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****

Is the sound on those Bose units half as good as advertised?
I find it hard to believe it would be better than a 'home theater
system' of the same price range.

The Bose system we have was in the $2200 range, IIRC. The system will blow your socks
right off. You'll think you're in a theatre, if your wife will let you play it that
loud. It's a nice sounding system, but I wish I had the single CD player. It's the
Bose, 'Lifestyle' system. We've had it about eight or nine years now. The new systems
have a DVD player also.
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****
Dan Krueger

Default OT was: Those torturing US *******s...

Don White wrote:

JohnH wrote:

How about Enya?
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****

My wife likes her and has 3 Cds.
hear a new one is being released.

Now an OT post. Continue at will...
Reggie Smithers

Tom,
Were you taking those Orange Pills when this happened?

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:44:37 -0500, "Reggie Smithers" Reggie( is my
first name) Smithers wrote:

Ok, I am afraid to ask, but how did you notice the glass bending?

You could see it bend out with the sound pressure.

Doug Kanter

How's it sound? When I was in the biz, Bose speakers were mainly
attractive
to guys who wore backwards Caterpillar hats 24x7, and listened to nothing
but ZZ Top at full volume.

I'm no longer a Bose fan. They're too 'bassy' for me. But, my hearing is
not all that
great, so I need the treble boosted way up.

The only adjustment for bass and treble is on the subwoofer. I'd never
recommend the
set to anyone. But, it will play the Organ symphony loud enough to get the
neighbors
out of bed!

Part of the problem is that most production speakers are built for
moer bass response than is absolutely necessary. Bose speakers are
built with broader frequency response than most production speakers,
so I find that comment interesting.

Crappy ones are. Decent speakers should at least have the potential to
create nice, tightly controlled bass that doesn't sound out of proportion to
the rest of the sound. The problem is that there are too many lousy
salespeople out there. A customer walks into the stereo store and says
"According to Consumer Reports, my brother who's a shmexpert, or some dice
I rolled on my kitchen table, I don't need more than 20 or 30 watts for my
living room". The lousy salesman is too lazy or dumb to explain reality to
the customer, so he yesses the customer, and another underpowered system
goes out the door. Just enough power to make the woofers move, but nowhere
near enough to stop them tightly. So, they sound fat and puky.

At the store where I worked, part of the interview process was a group
meeting with new candidates. First, we'd try and find out if they really
understood things like damping factor. If not, the next step was to try and
determine if they were spongy enough to absorb and understand a lot of
information really fast. If not, we'd politely reject them and suggest that
they apply at Lechemere or some other big box store, so they wouldn't
pollute any of the other stores like ours.

Doug Kanter

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:53:34 -0500, "Reggie Smithers" Reggie( is my
first name) Smithers wrote:

He is either calling you a beggar or a member of the Franciscans.

I know what the word means - it just doesn't make any sense.

You're right. It was an extremely high-speed word choice, and totally wrong.
My apologies. I'll come up with something better after one more cup of
coffee, taking out the garbage, and explaining to the cat that she really
needs to do more chores around here.