posted to rec.boats.paddle
Gary J. MacDonald

Default Temp good bye to USENET (Rogers user)

Well, I am never more than an occaisional poster, but for now I am saying
goodbye for a while. Rogers is dropping USENET tomorrow, apparently because it
takes up too much bandwidth (but is not used by a large number of people?). I
think it must be because they have the binaries groups on line, when simply
shutting off the binaries would cut bandwidth without breaking up useful
communication around the world. Dropping the alt.!"#$ groups would also help
that, but I guess that is too easy.

Rogers did this just like it dumped user web pages onto Yahoo-Geocities (where
they get advertising dollars for your page) with kids and their web pages about
kitties and puppies. I am unhappy with the decrease in service, and so I will
be looking to see if I can and should switch my internet service.

http://www.canadianisp.com/ has a very comprehensive search for Canadian ISPs.

People of the Internet: I shall return!

GaryJ

--
Archive for the alternate timeline: France Stays in the War
http://users.domaindlx.com/fantasque/index.htm

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Gary, have you ever tried to use Google groups?

From work I tend to use this link to read and reply to RBP:

http://groups.google.nl/group/rec.boats.paddle

(requires a free account to post and doesn't carry all usenet groups
though)

HTH

Wilko

http://kayaker.nl

posted to rec.boats.paddle
GaryJ

Yes, thanks, especially for finding old stuff, but I find it is not as handy as
the old USENET service coming right into my mail reader.

GaryJ

wrote:
Gary, have you ever tried to use Google groups?

From work I tend to use this link to read and reply to RBP:

http://groups.google.nl/group/rec.boats.paddle

(requires a free account to post and doesn't carry all usenet groups
though)

HTH

Wilko

http://kayaker.nl

--
Archive for the alternate timeline: France Stays in the War
http://users.domaindlx.com/fantasque/index.htm

posted to rec.boats.paddle
RkyMtnHootOwl

wrote:
Gary, have you ever tried to use Google groups?

From work I tend to use this link to read and reply to RBP:

http://groups.google.nl/group/rec.boats.paddle

(requires a free account to post and doesn't carry all usenet groups
though)

HTH

Wilko

http://kayaker.nl

GaryJ, check out this link to free news servers

http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

My ISP, MSN.com, dropped providing newserver access previously, for
the same reasons. The free services don't always have all the bells
and whistles, and sometimes limited services, but subscribe to a
couple different ones, and you can get complete access, and you can
continue using your tried and true news reader! OvO
posted to rec.boats.paddle
GaryJ

Thanks! Looks like a great resource.

Who-Who-hoo-hoo
Who-Who-hoo-hwaa

GaryJ

RkyMtnHootOwl wrote:
GaryJ, check out this link to free news servers

http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

--
Archive for the alternate timeline: France Stays in the War
http://users.domaindlx.com/fantasque/index.htm

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Bill Tuthill

Gary J. MacDonald wrote:
... Rogers is dropping USENET tomorrow, apparently because it
takes up too much bandwidth (but is not used by a large number of people?).

The big media companies don't like Usenet because people spend time
listening to each other, rather than to corporate media BS.

Are you in Canada? My ISP is great, but I'm not sure they do Canada.
Hope you find a better ISP soon. I agree it's better to read news
using a feed than using the Google interface.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
KMAN

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message ...
Gary J. MacDonald wrote:
... Rogers is dropping USENET tomorrow, apparently because it
takes up too much bandwidth (but is not used by a large number of
people?).

The big media companies don't like Usenet because people spend time
listening to each other, rather than to corporate media BS.

Are you in Canada? My ISP is great, but I'm not sure they do Canada.
Hope you find a better ISP soon. I agree it's better to read news
using a feed than using the Google interface.

Google groups is annoying, and most people who use it don't even understand
what a newsgroup is, and they post messages where there are no headers and
only other googlegroups users can understand what the hell is going on.

The reason Rogers dumped it is you can't put banner ads and other crap on a
news feed. It doesn't generate revenue. It's just something customers want,
but that doesn't matter to them.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
RkyMtnHootOwl

RkyMtnHootOwl wrote:
GaryJ, check out this link to free news servers

http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

Yeah, I used the Google portal up until recently, and caught flack
here and elsewhere. I use it now as a back up, or when I am online
away from my desktop. Melissa R. put me onto the News Services. I came
to realize that all I need for ISP is Internet Access. I do not need
the push content of the big ISP like AOL or others. MSN gives me 10
pop3 accounts, but otherwise I would rather go to specific content
providers for specific services that do a better job. The ISP
typically do not put a high priority on News service, so retention and
bandwidth suffered, so they are probably doing us all a favor to get
out of the business. I had read that Rogers was stopping the newserver
service, but if you still have reliable access to internet at a
reasonable price, then keep that and check out other content service
providers. OvO

posted to rec.boats.paddle
KMAN

oups.com...

RkyMtnHootOwl wrote:
GaryJ, check out this link to free news servers

http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

Yeah, I used the Google portal up until recently, and caught flack
here and elsewhere. I use it now as a back up, or when I am online
away from my desktop. Melissa R. put me onto the News Services. I came
to realize that all I need for ISP is Internet Access. I do not need
the push content of the big ISP like AOL or others.

The fact that AOL is actually a successful business shows just how screwed
up the world really is.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
RkyMtnHootOwl

RkyMtnHootOwl wrote:
GaryJ, check out this link to free news servers

http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

Yeah, I used the Google portal up until recently, and caught flack
here and elsewhere. I use it now as a back up, or when I am online
away from my desktop. Melissa R. put me onto the News Services. I came
to realize that all I need for ISP is Internet Access. I do not need
the push content of the big ISP like AOL or others.

The fact that AOL is actually a successful business shows just how screwed
up the world really is.

Was it Barnum who said "Show me a Fool, and I will show you a way to
separate him from his money!" or something along that line OvO

The Trolling Stops HERE Capt. Rob ASA 30 October 27th 05 09:11 PM
Who would be upset at a cartoon of Thor? Doug Freyburger ASA 0 October 19th 05 10:21 PM
bertie the bunyip versus bob wald Limey ASA 0 October 13th 05 04:26 PM