Bill McKee

Default Need a Year-Round Plan for Protecting a Trailered Boat from UV and Mildew

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to find a method that I can use to protect a 18-ft fiberglass
boat from UV and mildew through out the year. The boat is on a
trailer. Currently, I use a vinyl boat cover to protect the boat.
This method works fine in fall and winter. The vinyl boat cover
protects the boat from snow and UV in the cold winter. That boat cover
doesn't wrap very tight around the boat and the outside temperature is
dry and cold, and the boat has a T-top that creates a large air space
under the boat cover; therefore, I don't worry about mildew growing
inside the boat in the winter. But I am wondering what will happen in
spring and summer.

The vinyl boat cover is not breathable. In spring when the weather is
warm and the humidity level goes up, I think moisture will start
condensing in the underside of the boat cover, and I am afraid that
mildew will start growing under the boat cover and inside the boat.
One way that I hope will minimize the problem is by putting some
fenders along the gunwale of the boat to create channels for air to
circulate in and out under the boat cover. But I am not sure if this
is good enough to prevent mildew from growing. Any idea?

The other option is not to cover the boat at all, and let it exposed to
sun and rain. But I don't like this because the boat is not
"rain-water tight" and I am afraid that rain water will find its way
inside the boat, and create mildew problem in the interior of the boat.
Therefore, I prefer to put the boat cover over the boat all year
round.

By the way, I live in Northern New Jersey where the humidity level can
be high during the spring and early summer.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Buy one of those portable garages. Costco has them at times for a couple of
hundred.

sherwindu

" wrote:

Thanks for everyone who has replied.

Seem like this is a good idea to buy Lysol concentrate, mixing it in a
garden sprayer and spray the interior of the boat and the underside of
the boat cover. This is something that I will definitely try when
spring comes.

Another option are mildew packets available at West Marine. However,
you would have to air out the boat before using it as the fumes are toxic.

Adding a vent to the boat cover sounds like a good idea to cool the
boat cover to extend the useful life of the boat cover, and also to
help air circulation. I am just not sure exactly how to add a vent to
the boat cover that I have already been using (as comparing to order
the vents as an option in the process of ordering a new boat cover).
Seem like the actual implementation of this idea can be difficult. Oh
well...

As of buying breathable material for boat cover, I cannot do this. The
reason is that the boat has a T-top and I have a hard time finding any
boat cover that fit over the T-top. In fact, I am counting myself as
lucky when I find the expensive vinyl boat cover ($575) that can cover
a boat with a T-top.

You could get a sunbrella cover tailored to fit your boat. True it would
be
expensive, but it will last more seasons that a vinyl cover, and
eventually
make up for a lot of the expense. Plus it will fit better with less
chance
of wind damage.

Therefore, my option is quite limited.

Jay Chan

sherwindu wrote:
" wrote:

Thanks for everyone who has replied.

Seem like this is a good idea to buy Lysol concentrate, mixing it in a
garden sprayer and spray the interior of the boat and the underside of
the boat cover. This is something that I will definitely try when
spring comes.

Another option are mildew packets available at West Marine. However,
you would have to air out the boat before using it as the fumes are toxic.

Thanks for the idea. I will see which option is the most practical for
my need.

[...]

True. If I would be buying a new boat cover today, I likely would ask
someone to custom tailor it for my boat to account for the T-top, and
to add vents in it, and to use one of those breathable material. But I
was in a hurry to get a boat cover to cover the boat before the winter
comes (I bought the boat very late in the season). Therefore, I didn't
explore that option. I guess I will have to wait many years before I
will take advantage of this option.

Jay Chan

JimH

wrote in message
ups.com...
sherwindu wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

I have never had a mold or mildew problem in any my boats after coming off
of winter storage and I never cleaned them prior to covering them with
Lysol. The boat interior would however be cleaned and properly prepared
(cabin drawers open, mattresses raised, fridge clean-empty-door open, etc).
The key is ventilation and keeping the interior dry.

Bill McKee wrote:
Buy one of those portable garages. Costco has them at times for a couple of
hundred.

I always has this idea in the back of my head. But I am not sure if
the local community likes to see a portable garage showing up in my
driveway. This is the reason why I stick with the more conventional
approach to cover my boat.

Jay Chan

Bill McKee

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bill McKee wrote:
Buy one of those portable garages. Costco has them at times for a couple
of
hundred.

I always has this idea in the back of my head. But I am not sure if
the local community likes to see a portable garage showing up in my
driveway. This is the reason why I stick with the more conventional
approach to cover my boat.

Jay Chan

Personally, I hate the sight of boats and RV's stored in driveways also.