Bryan

Default Boat Cover Mildew

My new boat cover, purchased July 2005, has mildew growing inside.

Is it because I bought a cheap boat cover or do I just need to spray the
inside with something at the end of each summer?

*JimH*

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...
My new boat cover, purchased July 2005, has mildew growing inside.

Is it because I bought a cheap boat cover or do I just need to spray the
inside with something at the end of each summer?

You do not have enough ventilation when the cover is on the boat. This
cover apparently does not breath and is collecting moisture on the
underside.

Add a vent or two to the cover.

*JimH*

"Bryan" wrote in message
news

" *JimH*" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...
My new boat cover, purchased July 2005, has mildew growing inside.

Is it because I bought a cheap boat cover or do I just need to spray the
inside with something at the end of each summer?

You do not have enough ventilation when the cover is on the boat. This
cover apparently does not breath and is collecting moisture on the
underside.

Add a vent or two to the cover.

ok

http://www.sailorstailor.com/xvents.asp

http://www.boatcovers.com/boatCovers/ventPole.asp

http://www.websweeper.com/php/boat_covers/bc-018.php

Mr. Smithers

Bryan,
Even if the cover breaths, you can have problems with mildew if you leave
water in your bilge. Make sure you drain the bilge as on a sloop so you
don't have water sitting in your bilge.+

Once you have mildew on your cover, you need to get rid of it or it will
continue to grow with very little moisture. Use Lysol or OxiClean to clean
the cover. Also open all storage compartments so the can dry out.

"Bryan" wrote in message
news

" *JimH*" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...
My new boat cover, purchased July 2005, has mildew growing inside.

Is it because I bought a cheap boat cover or do I just need to spray the
inside with something at the end of each summer?

You do not have enough ventilation when the cover is on the boat. This
cover apparently does not breath and is collecting moisture on the
underside.

Add a vent or two to the cover.

ok

Bryan

Thanks!

"Mr. Smithers" The University called, I lost my PhD. wrote in message
. ..
Bryan,
Even if the cover breaths, you can have problems with mildew if you leave
water in your bilge. Make sure you drain the bilge as on a sloop so you
don't have water sitting in your bilge.+

Once you have mildew on your cover, you need to get rid of it or it will
continue to grow with very little moisture. Use Lysol or OxiClean to
clean the cover. Also open all storage compartments so the can dry out.

"Bryan" wrote in message
news

" *JimH*" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...
My new boat cover, purchased July 2005, has mildew growing inside.

Is it because I bought a cheap boat cover or do I just need to spray
the inside with something at the end of each summer?

You do not have enough ventilation when the cover is on the boat. This
cover apparently does not breath and is collecting moisture on the
underside.

Add a vent or two to the cover.

ok

Thinking of becoming a live aboard richard Cruising 27 November 3rd 05 09:27 PM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM